• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop enters the OE headphone market

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor

新しい人

I have communicated with their boss, in fact, simply because their bosses and engineers do not like low frequency

新しい人

Their boss has said that the cheaper products can add some low frequency, in order to sell more. Expensive products are to be adjusted according to his own preferences.

新しい人

Moon Drop has done extremely well with Chifi IEMs. I hope they do to the headphone market what Topping has done on the DAC/AMP side. Crush the price and deliver high-quality headphones that measure great. I would love to see a comfortable, serviceable, headphone that lets me EQ either diffuse-field or Harman and lets me use a balanced cable for the extra powr.
It's interesting to tell you that the designer of those products at Topping interned at Moondrop in 2018. And it was he who showed Moondrop the importance of target curves.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Bass look similar to the HD6XX/HD650 but the Moondrop has more ear-gain compensation.
Yes, a little warmer and bass heavier than the venerable HD650. Not a bad reference at all.

graph.png

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Align at 425Hz like Amir does. Gives a better view.
Good tip. Aligned at 380Hz and bass is almost identical, Void only warmer.

graph (2).png

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As an enthusiast I like flat tuned bass (with no roll-offs or resonaces .etc) because i know that everyone needs to adjust the Harman LF shelf filter to their preference and that everyone should be doing EQ.

But i don't think it's the correct choice for a company that wants to target the general public.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
My guess is that dynamic drivers don't naturally behave with that elevated boost, unless it has a secondary woofer and crossover etc? I say that because usually I see dynamic drivers slowly rolling off below 100Hz, and planar flat until a sudden drop below 30Hz or so (probably dynamic compression of the stretched film).

Georgrig

It's interesting to tell you that the designer of those products at Topping interned at Moondrop in 2018. And it was he who showed Moondrop the importance of target curves.
No wonder they share the same approach to atrocious QC..

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor

View attachment 225389
You are right. I was switching the graphs around. The Sennheiser is tuned "brighter". Hmmm, makes me fear the Moondrop can sound dull and muffled.

OP
R

RHO

Major Contributor
No wonder they share the same approach to atrocious QC..
The QC on Moondrop products is great. I have several of their products and have had not one QC problemen with any of them.
Just to point out that if YOU have an issue with ONE of their products, it is not that the QC of the whole brand is bad.

Ashimaru

and we all know who the topping designer is

Georgrig

The QC on Moondrop products is great. I have several of their products and have had not one QC problemen with any of them.
Just to point out that if YOU have an issue with ONE of their products, it is not that the QC of the whole brand is bad.
You don't hang around much on the Internet, do you?

D00M

Same argument applies to your statement. If you have couple products and do not have problem, that doesn't mean the company or products do not have QC issue.

Garrincha

Addicted to Fun and Learning

View attachment 225389
Yeah, so ok, a very similar, but a bit darker version of the HD650, for a lower price, but apparently much more plasticky look and feel. There might be a market for that, but no need to get one if you already have any of the HD 650/600/6XX line or similar. I am now a bit underwhelmed.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
To me the planar will be the star of the trio. Let's see.

MC_RME

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I had the same issue with the Sundara and HE400SE. It's been an issue in general for me and my dumbo ears :D
I feel like headphone manufacturers should at least be targeting 65mm+ given the standards and all
Oh well, *puts on HD800*
Oh well, *puts on Edition XS*

;)

Top Bottom