• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Dawn - No menu selection

OP
N

newaudioguy77

Thanks a lot guys. Amazing customer support at Shenzhenaudio...they want to make this right for me.

OP
N

newaudioguy77

With my 2 headphones - the Moondrop Dawn 3.5mm sounds fantastic. It's better than anything I've hears before. The clarity and detail is above and beyond.

Store Support responded and they are going to send me a new one.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Just out of interest , do you use any other apps that take control of USB devices- on the music side I am thinking of maybe the Tidal app, USB Audio Player Pro and probably some others.

I suspect this is a permissions issue on your phone(s) with something else controlling the device by default, so the Link app cant make adjustments.

If I am remotely right, a new unit isnt going to work...

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just received my 3.5 dawn today. Works perfectly on Debian 11 but like the OP I got the dialog box first time I plugged it in to my Nokia T20 running Android 11 , but the OS doesn't see the dawn and audio is routed to the speaker as normal. The Moondrop link app doesn't see it either, which is not surprising if it's not detected by the OS. I've asked Shenzhen for a replacement.

Edit: I hope for Moondrops sake the unit I had shipped to @amirm works as advertised;)

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Phorize does your Nokia T20 recognize other dongle DACs like the Apple dongle?
The Apple dongle has a lightning connector so don’t know about that but my NX4 works fine.

smraa

I have the same problem with my newly purchased Dawn 3.5...BUT when I click on any option, for example turning off the LED, it just gets turned off :D...The application does not show any feedback (menu highlight or something like this) though, maybe a GUI bug from the app.

EDIT: looks like I've just solved the issue by uninstalling the Play Store version of Moondrop Link and install the apk file from Moondrop website instead

Last edited:

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Phorize I mean the Apple A2049 or Apple A2155 Type-C to 3.5mm dongle. Should've clarified, sorry.
Unfortunately I don't have a type c dongle to hand. It's advertised as compatible with 'mainstream android smart phones'. Not sure what that really means, the T20 has Android 11 which is still supported by Google. If I owned a Windows machine I'd have a go at controlling the firmware that way.
I have the same problem with my newly purchased Dawn 3.5...BUT when I click on any option, for example turning off the LED, it just gets turned off :D...The application does not show any feedback (menu highlight or something like this) though, maybe a GUI bug from the app.
Is that with android? Does it function or is the problem limited to the link application? The dac was picked up on Debian 11 without any issues so I’m wondering if the problem is just a bug in the Dawn firmware that is preventing android from picking up the device. From a software release engineering POV one wonders what is so complicated about squashing bugs before thousands of units are shipped.

smraa

Is that with android? Does it function or is the problem limited to the link application? The dac was picked up on Debian 11 without any issues so I’m wondering if the problem is just a bug in the Dawn firmware that is preventing android from picking up the device. From a software release engineering POV one wonders what is so complicated about squashing bugs before thousands of units are shipped.
I am using android and it looks like I've just solved the issue by uninstalling the Play Store version of Moondrop Link and install the apk file from Moondrop website instead

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I am using android and it looks like I've just solved the issue by uninstalling the Play Store version of Moondrop Link and install the apk file from Moondrop website instead
Ok. So to be clear what problem have you solved? Was the dawn working as a dac but not configurable with link, or was it just not working at all until link was installed with the apk? Mine won’t work at all.

smraa

Ok. So to be clear what problem have you solved? Was the dawn working as a dac but not configurable with link, or was it just not working at all until link was installed with the apk? Mine won’t work at all.
the problem were with moondrop link control, the dawn was working as a dac

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may have to enable some OTG setting to make your phone power USB accessories. Your NX4 supplies its own power, so it may have circumvented that.
That’s a thought, I’ll have a look.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You may have to enable some OTG setting to make your phone power USB accessories. Your NX4 supplies its own power, so it may have circumvented that.
So I have had a poke around and can't see a setting that would affect the usb output. Interestingly I plugged it in and both the link app and neutron player offered to control it. Neutron would play out of it, which is a start, but qobuz output won't, and the link app is still greyed out. I've written to Moondrops technical support.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
So I have had a poke around and can't see a setting that would affect the usb output. Interestinly I plugged it in and both the link app and neutron player offered to control it. Neutron would play put of it, which is a start, but qobuz output won't, and the link app is still greyed out. I've written to Moondrops technical support.
Some Android ROMs just don't support global OS Audio output via USB, requiring you to use direct USB access players like Neutron or UAPP.
What you're describing sure sounds that way, but contradicts your earlier report that the NX4 works just fine..

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Some Android ROMs just don't support global OS Audio output via USB, requiring you to use direct USB access players like Neutron or UAPP.
What you're describing sure sounds that way, but contradicts your earlier report that the NX4 works just fine..
It's odd that's for sure. I'll see what Moondrop support say.

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
In the meantime shenzhen have agreed to send another dawn to me. Hopefully that fixes things.

Top Bottom