• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Chu

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I really like the sound but unfortunately the sharp edge around the top digs into my antitragus and I haven't been able think of a way to pad them. I think I need to go back to a more traditional shape, so I see ether some Blon BL-03 or Etymotic ER2XR in my future.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I really like the sound but unfortunately the sharp edge around the top digs into my antitragus and I haven't been able think of a way to pad them. I think I need to go back to a more traditional shape, so I see ether some Blon BL-03 or Etymotic ER2XR in my future.
Have you experimented with using them cable down? Depends on your ears but I can wear them so that the cable comes out of that notch at the bottom of the concha where the ear lobe meets.

With the right fitting tip I can get a seal and wear them like ear buds that actually sound decent.

Walter

Have you experimented with using them cable down? Depends on your ears but I can wear them so that the cable comes out of that notch at the bottom of the concha where the ear lobe meets.

With the right fitting tip I can get a seal and wear them like ear buds that actually sound decent.
Tried every position possible. The best is with the cable coming out the top but then dropping down rather than looping over my ears. If they would have just put a bit of radius on the edges between the top and sides, they'd be fine, but they didn't. I have no problem getting a good seal. The sound is very good. I prefer them to my CRAs on that front, I just can't wear them for more than 30-45 minutes without pain.

DavidEdwinAston

Forum Donor
Just properly listened to mine. Amazing. Far more bass than the DT770,s. Twenty quid. As long as they function for a month or two must be great value.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@Bel Canto
more likely just worn ear pads:
Screenshot 2022-09-30 235622.png

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
I bought the Chu mainly because I could get it next day delivery from Amazon and while waiting for my Truthear Zero's to arrive, I was curious for something close to the Harman curve. The Truthear Zero are taking forever to clear EU customs. But this has given me more time to appreciate the Chu and once I got some good ear tips they are amazing, unbelievable Bass for this price. The right seal is so important to get the Bass correct, but after buying numerous ear tips the only ones that work for my obviously "freak ear size" are large triple flange ear tips. But I can't believe how good the Moondrop's sound with these ear tips, listening to Radiohead on a walk early, I was hearing things in some songs that I had not ever heard before.

xavx

In case this thread is still alive, has anyone experienced a high frequency hiss on the chu once plugged (no music playing) ? That hiss might be due to the remote/mic as it stops if I keep pressing the play/pause button but comes back once I release it. Wondering if it's widespread or if the one I got has a defect.

Jeromeof

Forum Donor
In case this thread is still alive, has anyone experienced a high frequency hiss on the chu once plugged (no music playing) ? That hiss might be due to the remote/mic as it stops if I keep pressing the play/pause button but comes back once I release it. Wondering if it's widespread or if the one I got has a defect.
I decided to get the model without the remote/mic for this specific reason as I always feel that the mic can be the weak point in IEM's, the less 'electronics' involved the less likelyhood for something to go wrong (especially at this price).

Overall for the price I think these IEM's are amazing, I only bought them as a quick / cheap experiment in listening to harman curve compliant IEM's while waiting for my order of the Truthear Zero's to arrive but other than a slight lacking in bass (which might be a preference for some) I think they sound fantastic.

xavx

I decided to get the model without the remote/mic for this specific reason as I always feel that the mic can be the weak point in IEM's, the less 'electronics' involved the less likelyhood for something to go wrong (especially at this price).

Overall for the price I think these IEM's are amazing, I only bought them as a quick / cheap experiment in listening to harman curve compliant IEM's while waiting for my order of the Truthear Zero's to arrive but other than a slight lacking in bass (which might be a preference for some) I think they sound fantastic.
Appreciate your feedback. I'm however more interested in knowing if anyone with the mic version has/had that same problem or if it's worth sending this one back and ordering another one. I'm mostly using IEM with DAP/phone outdoor. I don't want the version without mic/remote especially since the chu has a very functional one with the play/pause (previous & next) and the volume + & -

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
@xavx I have the Chu with mic and never noticed any hiss from the mic. But you can try muting the mic in software (phone or PC) and see if it goes away.

But I think it is more likely that you are hearing the background hiss from your DAC-amp (again phone or PC). Or are you using a dongle?

xavx

@xavx I have the Chu with mic and never noticed any hiss from the mic. But you can try muting the mic in software (phone or PC) and see if it goes away.

But I think it is more likely that you are hearing the background hiss from your DAC-amp (again phone or PC). Or are you using a dongle?
Interesting, thanks for your response. I got that hiss problem using any kind of device : PC sound card, LG G7 dac and iphone jack. It was less noticeable but present on the iphone but the other 2 were unbearable after a while. The hiss was still present when playing music. Weird thing is I don't get that same hiss using other IEMs with mic so likely a defect on mine

walter-

Would you rather recommend the Moondrop Chu or the Truthear Crinacle Zero for listening to classical music and jazz (with a headphone DAC+amp)?
My question refers to the audio quality (as opposed to the fit, quality control and other issues which are discussed here as well).

RHO

Major Contributor
Would you rather recommend the Moondrop Chu or the Truthear Crinacle Zero for listening to classical music and jazz (with a headphone DAC+amp)?
My question refers to the audio quality (as opposed to the fit, quality control and other issues which are discussed here as well).
I would get the Truthear Crinacle Zero. The extra bass really helps, whatever genre of music you are listening to.
(I own both Chu and Zero)

xavx

Chu has the best remote/mic/sound combo for 20$.
7Hz Zero also 20$, no remote/mic, slightly better sound quality than Chu in my opinion, thinner sound and more spacial / better soundstage than Truthear.
Truthear better than both above for sound quality, narrower soundstage.

oleg87

To me the Zero has an overly “fun” but somewhat artificial sounding V-shaped tonality, with midrange somewhat recessed between pumped up bass and treble.
To my ears the Chu gets things more right above 100hz and has a more “natural” timbre but it's distinctly light in the bass.
I'd probably go with the Zero because I'd miss their low end authority more, but I enjoy them more with EQ.

Last edited:

Joe Smith

Major Contributor
Got my pair today - finally broke down and ordered a pair, without mic. They sound great and the ear fit is very good, even with the slightly heavier metal bodies, no slippage. I think the sound is on par with my favorite below $50 IEM thus far, the VSonic VSD1S (hard to find now). Cord is especially good, looks like it will be a little less tangle-prone. Nice packaging, accessories etc. The bass seems just right to me - not overly punched, just a nice rise/emphasis below 100 hz.

riceFET

I got one of these a few days ago and while I actually like how they sound, I can't find peace with the ear tips. The black is too big, white, too small, and the grey fits but hurts my ears after a while.

Chyżwar

I think the Truthear Zero are better headphones than the Chu. Better tuning, smoother highs, bigger soundstage, better instrument separation. I don't see any reason to use the Chu anymore.

Top Bottom