• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Chu

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I extracted crinacle's plots https://crinacle.com/graphs/iems/moondrop-chu/ and put them through AutoEQ. This is how I like it:

Code:
Preamp: -5.2 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 12 Hz Gain 4.5 dB Q 0.29
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 180 Hz Gain 1.0 dB Q 0.04
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1476 Hz Gain -2.2 dB Q 2.24
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 2406 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 1.29
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 19323 Hz Gain -11.7 dB Q 0.52
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 6582 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.49
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 9077 Hz Gain 1.9 dB Q 1.36
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 15401 Hz Gain -1.0 dB Q 1.67

View attachment 206635
On first page Crin also posted the EQ for Harman. Especially the 1st band tweak to taste.

Reactions: RHO

RHO

Major Contributor
I had trouble to get a seal with any others tbh.
I've also had some luck with Spinfit CP100 XL. Good seal and a little better comfort than the Moondrop foam tips. But less noise canceling.

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
May try foam tips to absorb treble a little.
I have the Olina and also have done this mod and it is a definite improvement. I just received my Chu and I agree with your assessment they are very nice. Possibly a mod like this with an additional filter of the nozzle might be ideal, I have not tried it yet but I am thinking about it. Definitely a nice iem, especially for $20, a keeper.

RHO

Major Contributor
Since we're on ASR; for those looking for strict Harman they do come reasonably close:

View attachment 200535

But yes, a little extra EQ would get it right on target (high frequencies untouched for obvious reasons):

View attachment 200536
I've been comparing them with and without your EQ suggestion. The differences aren't that big. The most obvious is the increased lower octaves.
I don't think the extra amount of bass improves anything. Yes, there's a little more bass but I feel like the quality is reduced (does this driver not like the extra excursion?).
I'm perfectly fine without EQ on these actually. With EQ it brings them closer to the B2D actually. Very impressive for $20.

stephen4567

None, because I'm also not sure which one they mean. I think it's the one furthest from the nozzle, but not 100% positive on that.

I got them to sound really good now. How? I shoved them really deep into my ears.
I guess the nozzles on these are just too short, for me, creating some annoying resonance and some seal issues I do not have with the B2Dusk.
I have plenty of different tips to try out. So maybe there's a type that will create a good seal and fit deep enough without getting too uncomfortable. (Yes, I have strange ear canal entrances and have struggled with this in the past. => Tin T2 plus)
Ahhh my mistake, I was reading fast and assumed you made these graphs. If you find out any more info on which vent to cover please let me know, would love to boost the bass slightly.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
None, because I'm also not sure which one they mean. I think it's the one furthest from the nozzle, but not 100% positive on that.

I got them to sound really good now. How? I shoved them really deep into my ears.
I guess the nozzles on these are just too short, for me, creating some annoying resonance and some seal issues I do not have with the B2Dusk.
I have plenty of different tips to try out. So maybe there's a type that will create a good seal and fit deep enough without getting too uncomfortable. (Yes, I have strange ear canal entrances and have struggled with this in the past. => Tin T2 plus)
Try some of the triple flange style tips. Had great success with the Fiio FD5 with those for similar reasons- the standard silicone domes work for me on the B2D because of both the fit of the shell and the deeper nozzle, nit less so on the shallower fit IEMs. The Triple flange style makes a more secure and better fit- but does change the sound significantly.

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi gang,
Got these a few days ago (ordered mid april) and need a bit of advice. Like someone mentioned before, "the cymbals hurt" a bit (for instance in Amy Winehouse Back to Black - the song). Any eq tip to mitigate this? Thanks!

ps: I don't have many iem to compare with, but these are very heavy, aren't they? I feel the weight even when wearing them. Not a big deal but find it curious.

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi gang,
Got these a few days ago (ordered mid april) and need a bit of advice. Like someone mentioned before, "the cymbals hurt" a bit (for instance in Amy Winehouse Back to Black - the song). Any eq tip to mitigate this? Thanks!

ps: I don't have many iem to compare with, but these are very heavy, aren't they? I feel the weight even when wearing them. Not a big deal but find it curious.
Try these

Reactions: MCH

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Mine arrived ( think there might have been a delay on the inline mic version). What a bargain. Sound great out of the box but I'm sure many will tweak to taste anyway. I get decent fit using a large tip in one ear, medium the other. The shells fit in the ear well, better than the sharp edged and larger Kato.

Minor gripe- no sliding toggle above the y split to gather the wires more under your chin. the wire over my left ear flaps out a bit. Im not going to mess around with the rubber loops provided that would house the cable and weigh it down.

For $20 these are an absolute no brainer if you want something for travelling/ office you dont mind losing or breaking. They feel pretty robust. Detachable cable would have been nice but I would question anyone spending $20 plus on an aftermarket cable on a $20 of earphones anyway.

RHO

Major Contributor
Try some of the triple flange style tips. Had great success with the Fiio FD5 with those for similar reasons- the standard silicone domes work for me on the B2D because of both the fit of the shell and the deeper nozzle, nit less so on the shallower fit IEMs. The Triple flange style makes a more secure and better fit- but does change the sound significantly.
Seems my triple flange tips aren't big enough.
Spinfit CP100 XL seems to be the correct size.
I'll try the Xelastec L later. The ML was on the verge of being to small. Maybe I need L in one ear and ML in the other. Will try that too.

RandomEar

Hi gang,

Had a similar problem recently, but with over-ears. Probably a different frequency, but the method should work either way: I used EAPO and dialed in a somewhat sharp peaking filter (Q=5) with -9 dB and then started to move it around from 4 kHz up to 6 kHz in 0.5 kHz steps. At 5 and 5.5 kHz, it removed the sharpness nicely for my ears. Some fine-tuning with testing 5.25 and 5.75 kHz really didn't show any obvious effect. In the end, I reduced the filter to -6 dB and Q=4 at 5.5 kHz.

For in-ears, you might want to go higher and start at 5 kHz, move up until 9 or 10 kHz in the same 0.5 steps. As soon as you find the range that bothers you, you can reduce it to something like -3 dB and see if that's enough.

Eggs Ackley

Ordered mine on 4/17 from Shenzhenaudio and they have yet to ship. I'm glad to hear everyone else is having fun.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Seems my triple flange tips aren't big enough.
Spinfit CP100 XL seems to be the correct size.
I'll try the Xelastec L later. The ML was on the verge of being to small. Maybe I need L in one ear and ML in the other. Will try that too.
Depends which brand of triple flange. My original ones were the size of the largest etymotic and bought as 'medium' years ago on amazon. Bought some new recently as medium and they were half the size! I'll take some pics later.

RHO

Major Contributor
Depends which brand of triple flange. My original ones were the size of the largest etymotic and bought as 'medium' years ago on amazon. Bought some new recently as medium and they were half the size! I'll take some pics later.
I think the main issue with these types of IEMs is that they push against my tragus and therefore getting a good seal and some comfort is difficult.
Or they get pushed out after a short time or I have to use 1 size larget tips to get more friction. Also because the tragus pushes against the IEM, I get a pressure point on the opposite side, just at the entrance of the ear-canal. With the right tips it's bearable for up to an hour. And they sound amazing when I get it right.
I'm afraid triple flange tips are uncomfortable on both sides (inside the ear and the IEM pushing against the tragus)
Deep insertion:
IMG_20220513_203107.jpg
Less deep insertion:
IMG_20220513_203127.jpg
With IEMs shaped like the Blessing 2, I do not have this issue.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ordered mine on 4/17 from Shenzhenaudio and they have yet to ship. I'm glad to hear everyone else is having fun.
I ordered mine--the no mic version--4/26 from them but through Amazon and they shipped 5/18. Still says scheduled to arrive in Pennsylvania by 6/15.

carlcamper

Got mine, thanks @crinacle for your EQ, great sub-bass rumble! I found the best ear tip to be the Sony EP-NI1000L, it gives me a great seal while preserving the sound signature.

Blorg

For people talking about the bass, try this seal test, it's an alternating 50Hz and 500Hz tone. If you have a bad seal the 50Hz tone will be quiet, if you have a good seal it will be clearly audible.

For me, I actually get the best seal with the stock Spring Tips. This was a bit of a surprise, as I'd actually got Spring Tips before and found they didn't fit/seal well for me on many IEMs, they were particular. But on the Chu they do. I think Spring Tips tend to work well with longer nozzles, and the nozzle on the Chu protrudes quite a bit further from the body compared with for example the Aria. (Comparison photo below.) I tried SpinFit CP100 and Sony EP-EX11 on them and they didn't seal well at all. Whizzer SS20 which are a short wide bore tip like the Spring Tip worked better, but best for me actually turned out to be the Spring Tips. I didn't expect this, I thought I'd likely use CP100 or EP-EX11 on them, particularly given the relatively small amount of bass shelf.

With the Spring Tips and a good seal, I'm getting good bass and in particular very good sub-bass extension. This isn't a significantly bass boosted IEM, so it's not massive, but it's certainly very much there. As for the sound in general, wow, I'm very impressed. Initial impressions are that this has substantially more clarity than the Aria, going back to the Aria it sounds quite muddy in comparison. Some of this is the tip- the Aria actually comes closer if I put Spring Tips on that. The Aria does have more bass though, as well as slightly more relaxed upper mids and treble. Upper mids and treble are very present on the Chu but I don't find it shouty. It's very close but slightly under Harman 3-7kHz. The smoothness maybe helps here, from the graphs it seems to be particularly smooth and lacking in peaks through the whole midrange and lower treble. It sounds very natural, maybe a little bright but natural. For $20 this is exceptional, even priced around the Aria I'd say it's worth consideration if you were looking for something with a less bassy, clearer signature.

DSC03610.JPG

Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I ordered mine--the no mic version--4/26 from them but through Amazon and they shipped 5/18. Still says scheduled to arrive in Pennsylvania by 6/15.
Arrived today. Amazon had said May 23 - June 15, so very close to the earliest estimate.

Eggs Ackley

Mine finally arrived this afternoon. I'm running them from an Apple dongle and iPhone SE streaming Tidal.. They sound very nice, better than my Tin T2's.
7.20 for the dongle and 19.99 for the Moondrops, value for money using that combo is outstanding and maybe unbeatable.

Top Bottom