• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Chu

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Is there any reasonable way to measure IEM loudness? I have an SPL meter but would that work with the IEMs?

I measure my headphones by putting the SPL meter through some cardboard used to seal the cups and ofc I can compare the loudness to the speakers by ear. Is there any method that works for IEMs?

nyxnyxnyx

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Based from my experience from moondrop's previous products, along with the FR measured I believe it will sound nice with and clear. Coupled with the brand name and the aesthetic it's pretty great for just $20.

One thing I've heard from a budget IEMs seller though, he said that those kind of offerings usually have worse quality control, I actually had 2 moondrop quarks and one of them died on the left side after 4 months.

Merkurio

Mixing needs something more resolving IMO, like the Moondrop Blessing 2 also reviewed here in ASR.

The "resolving" topic still intrigues me a lot.

Do we have some consensus that determine resolving capabilities not being related exclusively with FR and distortion?

I mean, talking about FR involves basically everything who reach to our ears (including particularities with the headphone/driver design, interactions with our inner canal and so on), but do we know "which" part of the FR corresponds to the resolution aspect?

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
The "resolving" topic still intrigues me a lot.

Do we have some consensus that determine resolving capabilities not being related exclusively with FR and distortion?

I mean, talking about FR involves basically everything who reach to our ears (including particularities with the headphone/driver design, interactions with our inner canal and so on), but do we know "which" part of the FR corresponds to the resolution aspect?
Distortion or dynamic compression, I don't know, but for a given frequency response there are better or worst resolving tranducers, and IEMs should be no exception.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Unless you just hate things in your ear.
Sadly most IEMs (the live monitor style) aren’t comfortable to wear for me (pushes on my “crus of helix” and hurts after 5min), the basic style of in-ears which are shaped like a 7 and (like my 1More Triples) I have no issues with comfort. Sadly most all good in-ears are the monitor style. And I’m not shelling out for custom molds (especially as it seems none of the brands that do custom IEMs have ones that measure excellently).

MayaTlab

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I don't know, but for a given frequency response there are better or worst resolving tranducers

And we're circling back to the question : how do you make absolutely certain that you're experiencing the same FR throughout the entire spectrum, below threshold of audible detection, between two different headphones :D ?
That's the first problem to solve.

jasonhanjk

If every poster donate $1, we should able to get it for Amir. ^_^

Compare Aria to Chu, how will they fair? Hmmm

rebbiputzmaker

Major Contributor
I’m waiting for a pair also. There are many good IEMs which do not need much if any DsP and are a better value and more comfortable than headphones. The Olina is $100 and IMO a super bargain. It supposedly has the same driver as the Oxygen for half the price. There is a simple tuning mod on YouTube which suggests adding an additional nozzle screen to slightly tame the highs and damp the driver. The screens are included with the IEM and it makes a difference. Great sounding IEM. A similar mod might work with these also if they are a bit bright.

Last edited:

bahamot

Got mine...
IMG20220428223046.jpg

edahl

Nor mine. Ordered two weeks ago.
I sent them a message and they replied.
Hi, thanks for your message, due to the new product is hot sale and the holiday is coming , so the shipment will be delayed.
It will be helpful, if you can help to extend the time for another 5 days first.
Thank you
I extended and not long after they shipped it. May be worth giving them a nudge :)

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I bet they have 3 shifts working on fulfilling all the orders. Sold more than a thousand in a few days.

MCH

Major Contributor
Seems that mine were shipped today, one month before schedule :D

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I noticed Prof. Wolf has measured distortion and FR on these. Looks good to my untrained eyes.

Top Bottom