• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Chu

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I bought them out of curiosity after finding them on offer for 17 euros, I already own some hifiman sundaras and truthears.
I can't stop listening to them since they arrived. I find them fantastic, with a basic EQ that perfectly suits my tastes. I hope it doesn't have the problems that many of you have experienced.
Of course, finding such an incredibly good headset for 17 euros is truly a fabulous discovery. I will recommend them to everyone

MCH

Major Contributor
Hi guys,
Does anyone know how to add something like this below to the Chu and where to get it? I know the Chu comes with a sort of thing like that, but it is always falling off and the headphone itself not really attached to it. More inconvenient that convenient imo. To be more clear, I am looking to build something like what the crinacle zero comes with, something like a rigid heatshrink tube, even if I need to glue it so that it is fixed.
Thanks.
Screenshot_2022-12-02-08-11-01-18_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

Talisman

Forum Donor
Hi guys,
Does anyone know how to add something like this below to the Chu and where to get it? I know the Chu comes with a sort of thing like that, but it is always falling off and the headphone itself not really attached to it. More inconvenient that convenient imo. To be more clear, I am looking to build something like what the crinacle zero comes with, something like a rigid heatshrink tube, even if I need to glue it so that it is fixed.
Thanks.
View attachment 247257
it actually comes directly with the headphones

MCH

Major Contributor
it actually comes directly with the headphones
Thanks for your answer talisman. To clarify:
My chu came with this below, that does not work for me. I would like to add something like i posted before instead that is much better imo (and i know it needs to be open to add it, but still)
Screenshot_2022-12-02-15-19-54-82_40deb401b9ffe8e1df2f1cc5ba480b12.jpg

staticV3

Master Contributor
@MarcosCh you should be able to find the same heart shrink tube that manufacturers use for the ear hook online. But you won't be able to fit it on your Chu as the ID will most likely be 7mm at most.
And heat shrink tube with an ID large enough to fit over the IEM shell won't be able to contact to the OD of the Chu's cable.

MCH

Major Contributor
@MarcosCh you should be able to find the same heart shrink tube that manufacturers use for the ear hook online. But you won't be able to fit it on your Chu as the ID will most likely be 7mm at most.
And heat shrink tube with an ID large enough to fit over the IEM shell won't be able to contact to the OD of the Chu's cable.
Thanks! If it does the job well I would even cut it open to place it around the cable, shrink it and fix it with glue.
I am not knowledgeable enough to even find one that is rigid enough and keeps the shape. Can someone recommend one or two references? Thanks

somebodyelse

Major Contributor
Heatshrink woin't be much use if you cut it. You might be better off with something like Sugru or Polymorph. One is a sort of silicone putty and the other is a plastic that softens in hot water. Haven't tried either in this application.

Reactions: MCH

MCH

Major Contributor
thanks for the suggestions. Seems that semi rigid heat shrink exists and can be get easily at amazon. Might try the sugru option though, seems perfect for this:

every day one learns something new. Thanks all.

Last edited:

MCH

Major Contributor
Heatshrink woin't be much use if you cut it. You might be better off with something like Sugru or Polymorph. One is a sort of silicone putty and the other is a plastic that softens in hot water. Haven't tried either in this application.
Sugru was a great suggestion @somebodyelse , exactly the result i was looking for, thanks again. And with the potential advantage of avoiding early breakage of the cable at the joint with the headphone. Now let's see how it behaves in the long term, i hope it doesn't harden or crack. Cheers! :)

IMG20221206174631.jpgIMG20221206174646.jpg

Spyart

Did anybody find something similar To chu (by frequency) but in TWS form?

Talisman

Forum Donor
I am absolutely amazed and delighted by these headphones, I bought them after the truthear zero, and in the long run I'm preferring these, I find the tonal balance absolutely perfect, they go as low as I like, without overemphasizing the sub bass like the truthear. They are small and comfortable to wear, can be controlled with any phone and do not require equalization.
if we add that they cost 20 euros, I'd say that you can't ask for more.

khensu

I thought they sounded very good, but I had a helluva time getting tips on them. I was about ready to throw them out a window… lol. I also had trouble getting them to stay in my ears. I gave them to my son, and he seems to be enjoying them. I’ll stick with the zero as I find those far more comfortable and they sound just as great.

markanini

Major Contributor

Blorg

To me it looks identical to the original Chu (which was itself very similar to the Zero) up to 5kHz, and then a bit better after. But bear in mind with treble comparisons this is Moondrop's measurement with a different coupler and unknown insertion depth. Looks good though.
gIx6O08.png

gxWCufp.png

OP
Matias

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Lan looks like a Chu with less treble and removable cable, which were the main criticism that Chu received, but for double the price... I am glad the 7Hz Zero exists.

Dazerdoreal

What this IEM makes interesting imo is that the lowest point of the mids is not at 1000hz but at like 600hz.
I am not saying this is better or worse, but it is just not that frequent in the budget IEM market. Most of them have more or less the same "warm" down slope down to 1000hz.

Blorg

I think there are quite a few like that these days. These three are even more Harman scoop:
1676470445021.png

This is quite extreme but it's not uncommon for budget IEMs to go down by 600Hz. If anything, that's the fashion these days, a long warm drop to 1kHz is less common and largely down by 300Hz (a more gentle slope than Harman) and flat through the lower mids is what most well regarded IEMs do now. These are all $20-35, the Chu in this graph is identical to this new Lan up to 5kHz.
1676470624650.png

markanini

Major Contributor
Looks like the new Moondrop Lan might be tuned close to Kato, which in turn is similarly tuned to $20 Tangzu Wan'er.
graph_1.png

image.png

Top Bottom