• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Blessing 3 Review

Cuckoo Studio

Reviewer
vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h33m10s275.png

Welcome to Cuckoo Studio review. I'm Anzol, The following content is presented from the perspective of a mixing engineer.

Measurement Conditions Explanation And Chart Interpretation Of Cuckoo Studio Review

If you prefer video version:

We have received the Blessing 3 sent by MOONDROP, let's take a comprehensive look at its performance. The packaging of Blessing 3 is mainly white, includes earphones, instruction manual, and a headphone bag in the same style, containing earplugs and a 3.5mm cable.

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h29m51s346.png

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h29m59s032.png

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h30m25s759.png

As a product positioned in the anime style, it seems that the new waifu is also a top priority for some people. The earphone weighs 8.5g and has a solid feel. The body is silver-blue and white in color, with a silver glossy stainless steel cover on the front panel that creates a multi-mirror effect through different angles.

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h32m44s284.png

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h33m10s275.png

The MOONDROP and BLESSING 3 logos are also engraved on it, making it look very transparent and clean overall. The body is transparent, allowing you to see the internal parts directly. The horizontally aligned dual dynamic coil, combined with a quad balanced armature structure, can be seen from the nozzles, indicating its design as a three-way frequency characteristic.

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h33m04s951.png

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h32m17s971.png

With such an appearance, what kind of core does it have? Let's take a look at how it performs in terms of sound.
Frequency Response: Using Harman 2018 as the standard, the frequency response of Blessing 3 is almost flat in all aspects, with slight low-frequency gain between Harman 2018 and 2019v2. There is no sense of excess in reality. There are some small fluctuations between 5-8KHz, but the amplitude is only about 2dB. At 8KHz, it is around 3-4dB. From 15KHz, there is an overall sense of airiness and high-frequency gain, but this part has almost no actual musical content, and many adults are unlikely to hear this gain. The measurement data was obtained with shallow insertion, which is similar to the depth I experienced during actual wearing and listening. On a very flat basis, this is a pair of slightly airy headphones.

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h33m23s889.png

Distortion: Blessing 3 maintains an excellent level of distortion. The gain of the third harmonic can be seen in many balanced armature+dividing design headphones, which is usually an inherent characteristic and has a low amplitude. Basically, it can be controlled below -50dB. The second harmonic can maintain an extremely low level whether it is at 86dB, 96dB or 104dB SPL. The distortion of the third harmonic will not increase with the increase of sound pressure level, and the playback is very clean. The distortion of the left and right ears is consistent, and there are no quality control problems.

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h33m44s912.png
vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h33m55s127.png

Now let's enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space. The very flat frequency response makes the playback of Blessing 3 objective and neutral. All major instruments and vocals are in their correct positions without any exaggeration or reduction. The low frequency is slightly more than expected, which increases the volume of low-frequency instruments such as bass and kick, and also adds some warmth. The high frequency gain may be heared different for different people. For me, the high frequency has a just right sense of airiness without any harshness. The high consistency of the frequency response in both ears without any bias allows for a solid central image. The low distortion and no bias characteristics make the playback of Blessing 3 clear, three-dimensional, and without any coloration or smearing. Putting aside the parameters, Blessing 3 is a reference-level accuracy for me, with dynamic performance and natural low-frequency relaxation, without any sense of dragging.

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h34m02s083.png

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h34m06s840.png

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h34m17s687.png

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h34m24s340.png

As in-ear headphones priced at about $300, Blessing 3 is like a tiger in sheep's clothing.
It has an appearance and product positioning in the anime style, but delivers extremely professional reference-level sound quality. It is also completely sufficient for mixing. These pair of earphones are worth recommending. This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secrets of headphones with you.

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h34m34s953.png

vlcsnap-2023-05-03-21h34m44s895.png

Last edited:

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I can’t see any tests done by the reviewer.

Correction: I was confused and thought those were manufacturer’s tests.

Last edited:

Dennis_FL

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I did a double take. That macro photo of the Blessing looks like my 5 iron.

BostonJack

Editor
These are very tempting (for me). $300 is such a seductive price range. I'm listening to the ~$60 Moon drops reviewed here a while ago. They are definitely a deal. Perfect for throw them in the back pack, take Zoom work calls, listen to jazz while working, knock about headphones. Thanks for the review.

Eulipian

View attachment 283269

Welcome to Cuckoo Studio review. I'm Anzol, The following content is presented from the perspective of a mixing engineer.

If you prefer video version:

We have received the Blessing 3 sent by MOONDROP, let's take a comprehensive look at its performance. The packaging of Blessing 3 is mainly white, includes earphones, instruction manual, and a headphone bag in the same style, containing earplugs and a 3.5mm cable.

View attachment 283270
View attachment 283271
View attachment 283272

As a product positioned in the anime style, it seems that the new waifu is also a top priority for some people. The earphone weighs 8.5g and has a solid feel. The body is silver-blue and white in color, with a silver glossy stainless steel cover on the front panel that creates a multi-mirror effect through different angles.

View attachment 283273
View attachment 283274

The MOONDROP and BLESSING 3 logos are also engraved on it, making it look very transparent and clean overall. The body is transparent, allowing you to see the internal parts directly. The horizontally aligned dual dynamic coil, combined with a quad balanced armature structure, can be seen from the nozzles, indicating its design as a three-way frequency characteristic.

View attachment 283275
View attachment 283276

With such an appearance, what kind of core does it have? Let's take a look at how it performs in terms of sound.
Frequency Response: Using Harman 2018 as the standard, the frequency response of Blessing 3 is almost flat in all aspects, with slight low-frequency gain between Harman 2018 and 2019v2. There is no sense of excess in reality. There are some small fluctuations between 5-8KHz, but the amplitude is only about 2dB. At 8KHz, it is around 3-4dB. From 15KHz, there is an overall sense of airiness and high-frequency gain, but this part has almost no actual musical content, and many adults are unlikely to hear this gain. The measurement data was obtained with shallow insertion, which is similar to the depth I experienced during actual wearing and listening. On a very flat basis, this is a pair of slightly airy headphones.

View attachment 283277

Distortion: Blessing 3 maintains an excellent level of distortion. The gain of the third harmonic can be seen in many balanced armature+dividing design headphones, which is usually an inherent characteristic and has a low amplitude. Basically, it can be controlled below -50dB. The second harmonic can maintain an extremely low level whether it is at 86dB, 96dB or 104dB SPL. The distortion of the third harmonic will not increase with the increase of sound pressure level, and the playback is very clean. The distortion of the left and right ears is consistent, and there are no quality control problems.

View attachment 283278View attachment 283279

Now let's enter the Cuckoo Studio mixing space. The very flat frequency response makes the playback of Blessing 3 objective and neutral. All major instruments and vocals are in their correct positions without any exaggeration or reduction. The low frequency is slightly more than expected, which increases the volume of low-frequency instruments such as bass and kick, and also adds some warmth. The high frequency gain may be heared different for different people. For me, the high frequency has a just right sense of airiness without any harshness. The high consistency of the frequency response in both ears without any bias allows for a solid central image. The low distortion and no bias characteristics make the playback of Blessing 3 clear, three-dimensional, and without any coloration or smearing. Putting aside the parameters, Blessing 3 is a reference-level accuracy for me, with dynamic performance and natural low-frequency relaxation, without any sense of dragging.

View attachment 283281
View attachment 283282
View attachment 283283
View attachment 283284

As in-ear headphones priced at about $300, Blessing 3 is like a tiger in sheep's clothing.
It has an appearance and product positioning in the anime style, but delivers extremely professional reference-level sound quality. It is also completely sufficient for mixing. These pair of earphones are worth recommending. This is Cuckoo Studio review. Please stay tuned. I will continue to explore the secrets of headphones with you.

View attachment 283285

View attachment 283286
Is the "horizontally opposed dynamic bass driver" the IEM equivalent of an isobaric woofer?

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't realise that those test were done by the reviewer? I thought they were manufacturers own test them as they are presented much slicker than any test lab I have ever seen with the company logo and grad background.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I didn't realise that those test were done by the reviewer? I thought they were manufacturers own test them as they are presented much slicker than any test lab I have ever seen with the company logo and grad background.
Company logo? Am I blind?

TK750

Hi @Cuckoo Studio, thank you for sharing some interesting data and illustrations. Do you have an explanation anywhere of the equipment and techniques you use to come up with these? I had a quick look on your profile and youtube channel but couldn't see anything mentioning the methodology? It was a very quick scan though so I may have missed it! Also in the 3D 'spatial' images I notice the disclaimer mentions 'Horizontal sound field has no scientific data support, only for subjective reference'. Am I correct in concluding that some parts of these illustrations are created using the measurements and some are based on your subjective impression? I'm still trying to process exactly what they show but that's just down to me being a bit slow at figuring out new graphs!

Edit: Noticed there are some answers to my questions here :) - https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-600-headphone-review-by-cuckoo-studio.36490/

Last edited:

Joffy1780

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Fantastic review.
I'm equal parts impressed and intrigued by the 3D soundstage images, I've never seen anything like that before.
Brilliant work.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Fantastic review.
I'm equal parts impressed and intrigued by the 3D soundstage images, I've never seen anything like that before.
Brilliant work.
Speaking of it, assuming the speakers/monitors at the tips of a equilateral triangle are the reference, how come the IEMs, playing at the sides of the head, have smaller L/R separation?? Doesn't make sense to me.

sarumbear

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
That's the logo of the reviewer, not of Moondrop, so it's clear that the graph is created by the reviewer and not by Moondrop (as was suggested).
At least I was not the only one who was confused :)

Top Bottom