• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moondrop Blessing 2 Review (IEM)

Rate this IEM:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 2 0.9%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 6.8%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 99 44.6%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 106 47.7%

• Total voters

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Moondrop Blessing 2 IEM. It was sent to me by Shenzhenaudio and costs US $320.
Moondrop Blessing 2 Review IEM BA Driver.jpg

Blessing 2 feels substantial in hand without being overly large. The tips included are silicone and rather thin. This made it harder to mount on my headphone fixture but worked very well for my ears.

Note: The measurements you are about to see are made using a standardized Gras 45C. Headphone/IEM measurements by definition are approximate and variable so don't be surprised if other measurements even if performed with the same fixtures as mine, differ in end results. Protocols vary such as headband pressure and averaging (which I don't do). As you will see, I confirm the approximate accuracy of the measurements using Equalization and listening tests. Ultimately headphone measurements are less exact than speakers mostly in bass and above a few kilohertz so keep that in mind as you read these tests. If you think you have an exact idea of a headphone/IEM performance, you are likely wrong!

Moondrop Blessing 2 Measurements

Let's start with our usual dashboard and special target for IEMs:

Moondrop Blessing 2 Measurement Frequency Response IEM BA Driver.png

When I first measured these, I thought they had target Harman curve but my fitment was wrong given the small differences. Then I read up and it seems they have their own tweaked target they call VDSF (diffused target of sorts). Variations from Harman target were small so I was very curious as to its audibility (see listening test section). Relative response shows how small the variations are:

Moondrop Blessing 2 Measurement Relative Frequency Response IEM BA Driver.png

I was dismayed to see the same distortion which we saw in another BA driver IEM:
Moondrop Blessing 2 Measurement Relative THD Distortion IEM BA Driver.png

I worked on qualifying this in listening tests.

Moondrop Blessing 2 Measurement THD Distortion IEM BA Driver.png

Impedance is low and a bit variable:
Moondrop Blessing 2 Measurement Impedance IEM BA Driver.png

Sensitivity is on the low side meaning you need more power to drive it:
Most Sensitive IEM Measurement Review.png

Group delay is clean and uneventful:

Moondrop Blessing 2 Measurement Group Delay IEM BA Driver.png

Moondrop Blessing 2 Listening Tests
First impression was, "hey this is quite good and doesn't need changing." Experience shows however that absolute evaluation is not truthful. So I developed an EQ based on differences with our target curve:
Moondrop Blessing 2 Equalization EQ Filter IEM BA Driver.png

AB testing quickly showed that the sound without EQ was thinner and a bit harsh. It would be fascinating to have a formal study of this to see where preference lands in blind test as the difference is small and is two flavors of good sound.

With EQ in place, the fidelity was startling good at times. The level of detail was amazing during some periods. I then cranked up the volume some and noticed distortion in upper bass with some subtle ticking. Push it harder and it compresses, refusing to get louder and and become more congested. Mind you, this is at totally unhealthy listing levels but shows you that the distortion measurements are accurate and predictive.

I have yet to hear an IEM with good sub-bass. Response of the Blessing 2 was better than average (with EQ) but still very far from any over the ear headphone.

Conclusions
Without EQ, the response of Blessing 2 is close enough to our target to beat out performance of vast number of speakers on tonality! With EQ, it becomes even better, with warmer, and less harsh sound. It can't handle ear bleeding levels but maybe that encourages you to not go there. We are talking about last bit of refinement and performance not being there.

I am going to recommend the Moondrop Blessing 2 especially if you use it with Equalization.

-----------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

Any donations are much appreciated using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/

Attachments

• Moondrop Blessing 2 Frequency Response.zip
    24.9 KB · Views: 283

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
Preamp: -2.2 dB
Filter 1: ON LS Fc 71 Hz Gain 2.1 dB Q 1.00
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 220 Hz Gain -1.8 dB Q 2.0
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 1290 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 2.0
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 5870 Hz Gain -3.0 dB Q 5.0
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 8670 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 5.0

Last edited:

YSC

Major Contributor
Nice one! Any chance in future to have a set of UERM or UERR for measurement? Really interested to see how these long regarded as holy grail of neutrality fares in measurement and listening tests

half_dog

What's a BA driver?

Too bad on the distortion, otherwise great!
Balaced Armature

frix

The distortion figures we are seeing again is the nature of BA drivers. I'm not a huge fan of BA's and prefer single DD designs.

buz

Forum Donor
I really like mine.

People should be warned that they are big though, not sure small ears will like it. I always use the largest tips so I guess I am OK but the stems are substantial.

These days my galaxy buds 2 get more use, wireless is just more convenient

Gio

Forum Donor
Hopefully to see how good are 10 to 100$ IEM.

Azathoth

Can't wait for you to eventually review the Variations

johnnyx

Balanced-armature transducers were used in the first telephone handsets, but moving-coil transducers have better performance. To hear YouTube reviewers talk about balanced-armatures in IEMs, you would think they were a great new innovation.

RHO

Major Contributor
I own the Dusk. That should have a little more low bass than this "regular" version.
I hope Amir gets to compare the 2 versions objectively and subjectively some time in the near future.

Top Bottom