• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

moode audio + apple usb-c dongle +aiyima ao7 - good idea?

Sasquatch

Hi.
Is my setup reasonable?
moode audio on RPI3b +apple usbc dac + aiyima a07 + elac debut 6.2 ?

I'm looking to shrink and improve my ancient diY lm3886 amp, it sounds great with chrome-cast audio input, BUT.
It's kinda large, so I'm looking for an possible upgrade route on a budget, I already have spare RPI3B.

I know a07 is designed to have 2V input, and dongle only produces 1V.
In theory I would only need to change 2 resistors in each channel to increase a07 sensitivity, big question is how it would affect SQ.
Saying that I really doubt it would be needed in rather small room(25sqm) and elac debut 6.2

unless anyone can recommend moode compatible DAC with SNR =>100dB and under £50?

any input much appreciated.

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
In my opinion it's not worth modifying the aiyima to use the apple dongle, first of all you could try if with the 1V input you can get enough sound pressure for your use, or in any case use it at a slightly reduced power waiting for a dac that can supply 2V, you can find audibly transparent dacs around 100 euros.
For the rest the configuration seems cheap but decent, I myself own the elac debut 6.2 in a secondary system and they sound good
IMG_20230316_112614.jpg

Jungstar

buy a used USB DAC....

Buy I am not sure you will like the sound if you go used to the AB sound...

OP
S

Sasquatch

buy a used USB DAC....

Used topec t10 is still £80 on eBay...
Yeah I'm not sure about class D either But its that or my wife kicks my music gear out of living room. I can tuck a07 away behind the TV and she can't stand my dliy box on top of the speaker, and refuses to have a shelf for it... women....

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Used topec t10 is still £80 on eBay...
Yeah I'm not sure about class D either But its that or my wife kicks my music gear out of living room. I can tuck a07 away behind the TV and she can't stand my dliy box on top of the speaker, and refuses to have a shelf for it... women....
Maybe you should ask for advice on how to change wives then....
(just joking)

OP
S

Sasquatch

buy a used USB DAC....

After few hours of listening I must say class D went a long way since I tested them in 2005 ish
A07 is a bit bright(easily compensated), compared to my old lm3886 but other than that I can't complain.

Top Bottom