• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moode 7.1 and Camilla DSP

Thalis

Got 7.3 up and running last night. One thing I forgot to ask is... is it possible for Camilla to do spatial surround like HeSuVi does?

jensgk

Forum Donor
Got 7.3 up and running last night. One thing I forgot to ask is... is it possible for Camilla to do spatial surround like HeSuVi does?
It can do convolution with wav-files, so I would say yes. You could try with one of the HeSuVi HRIR wav-files. On my computer they are located in "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\HeSuVi\hrir".

Thalis

It can do convolution with wav-files, so I would say yes. You could try with one of the HeSuVi HRIR wav-files. On my computer they are located in "C:\Program Files\EqualizerAPO\config\HeSuVi\hrir".

Ok so I do the same as I have done for my headphones first... as in import the WAV file for my headphones in Convolution File, convert then set the L and R in Quick Convolution Filter?

Then where do I do the WAV files from the HeSuVi\hrir and wow there's so many WAV files. Perhaps i can look into Mega Switcher and see which WAV file is used when I turn on HeSuVi. I have to say MS+HeSuVi really gives the impression I have speakers right in front of me thru my cans.

kejar31

Btw there is an upcoming version of Moode (Moode 7.3) which includes a new version of Camilla DSP. It is now possible to directly import wav files in Camilla.

I just jumped in to try this out and purchased a pi4 etc so that I can stream Apple Music directly to a streamer with convolution dsp.. Anyways I tried using some convolution files I created in AudioLense and while the CamillaDSP plug-in excepted the wav files it would not allow me to use them as such. All ir types resulted is extremely distorted sound. Only after logging into the command line via ssh and converting the file to raw using the sox command did they work properly.

Also my goal is to use a custom pipeline to allow me to implement a custom crossover for my subs etc. but for some reason I am having an issue getting the moode to allow more than two channels out over hdmi. I guess I did just start messing with this last night so maybe I will figure out something.

kejar31

Messed with us again for a few min this morning and figured it out (multiple channels that is), guess trying to do this the first time without alcohol works better :p

will work on a custom crossover with a convolution filter for room correction crossover phase etc all measured using audiolense. The path will be iPhone AirPlay or local music—>moode HDMI out—> Denon 3700 pure mode

if anyone is interested after I get it working I can post a how too along with my pipeline etc.

Last edited:

tecnogadget

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Messed with us again for a few min this morning and figured it out (multiple channels that is), guess trying to do this the first time without alcohol works better :p

will work on a custom crossover with a convolution filter for room correction crossover phase etc all measured using audiolense. The path will be iPhone AirPlay or local music—>moode HDMI out—> Denon 3700 pure mode

if anyone is interested after I get it working I can post a how too along with my pipeline etc.

If you get a way to make it work, please share it in a as long and detailed post as you can

I’ve been cracking my head as how the hell to implement state of the art DSP (Audiolense, etc) for multichannel movies ?¿ The software is there, the hardware is there, but haven’t found any good integration of both available. Specially If one wants to play UHD Blu-Ray movies, and care about DSP, and don’t want to play thousands $ for bad measuring AVR’s with limited taps.

The latest version of JRiver seems to be able to play well UHD Blu-Ray discs, menus included. Sinceit has a built in convolution engine, it should play along the filters created by Audiolense, Acourate, Filter Design, etc. I guess stereo filters should do for Mains and Surrounds, and mono filters for Center channel and Subwoofer.
The thing is I have not found a single post covering all this situation, so I can’t be sure if there are any unplanned shortcomings

kejar31

If you get a way to make it work, please share it in a as long and detailed post as you can

I’ve been cracking my head as how the hell to implement state of the art DSP (Audiolense, etc) for multichannel movies ?¿ The software is there, the hardware is there, but haven’t found any good integration of both available. Specially If one wants to play UHD Blu-Ray movies, and care about DSP, and don’t want to play thousands $ for bad measuring AVR’s with limited taps.

The latest version of JRiver seems to be able to play well UHD Blu-Ray discs, menus included. Sinceit has a built in convolution engine, it should play along the filters created by Audiolense, Acourate, Filter Design, etc. I guess stereo filters should do for Mains and Surrounds, and mono filters for Center channel and Subwoofer.
The thing is I have not found a single post covering all this situation, so I can’t be sure if there are any unplanned shortcomings

I am doing this primarily for music and for movies atm I am still using MultEQ. I have racked my head around this too but unfortunately the only way I think it can be done is in the analog domain (if you want atmos). You will need to grab audio from the pre-outs of the receiver and then use separate amps. This would also require some way to grab all those channels via some adc then using a pi or some other computer for convolution on each channel then a multi channel DAC to put it back into the analog domain.
Even after all that is done you are going to need a way to sync the audio to the video.

kejar31

update: I was able to get all channels working and tested, was able to create a new DSP with 4 mono channels (2 for the right and left sub channels and 2 for front right and left).. After this for whatever reason I started having issues with airplay.. Will work on that later tonight again.

One thing I will state though: The implementation of CamillaDSP is still somewhat buggy in Moode.. I can get into details on this if I get this working on my instruction. In the mean time I will report this to the team over at Moode.

kejar31

okay got everything working.

pipeline.JPG
mixer.JPG
filter.JPG

If anyone is interested in doing something similar let me know and I will post some instructions when I get some time.

bitlab

One thing I will state though: The implementation of CamillaDSP is still somewhat buggy in Moode.. I can get into details on this if I get this working on my instruction. In the mean time I will report this to the team over at Moode.

Now your setup is working, can you elaborate what is so buggy in the implementation of CamillaDSP with moOde?

Because when when we helped you at the moOde forum, the only issues where:
  • Forgot to enable an option to allow custom number of channels (and or devices). More about the moOde configuration setting can be read here.
  • The supplied ir wave file from audio lense isn't supported by CamillaDSP it self (btw also REW can't read it), because of the unusual wave file header. I created a ticket at the camilladsp project about it.
  • Used some wrong camilladsp configuration settings.
  • That leaves the only real bug in moOde mentioned is that of raw IR 32 float didn't work with the 'quick convolution settings'. (fixed; part of the new upcomign release, or hotfix it by hand)
Did I miss something buggy that can be improved?

kejar31

Now your setup is working, can you elaborate what is so buggy in the implementation of CamillaDSP with moOde?

Because when when we helped you at the moOde forum, the only issues where:
  • Forgot to enable an option to allow custom number of channels (and or devices). More about the moOde configuration setting can be read here.
  • The supplied ir wave file from audio lense isn't supported by CamillaDSP it self (btw also REW can't read it), because of the unusual wave file header. I created a ticket at the camilladsp project about it.
  • Used some wrong camilladsp configuration settings.
  • That leaves the only real bug in moOde mentioned is that of raw IR 32 float didn't work with the 'quick convolution settings'. (fixed; part of the new upcomign release, or hotfix it by hand)
Did I miss something buggy that can be improved?

You are correct and I should have revised that.. Most if not all of the issues I ran into were settings I could change within the environment but was unaware of.

As of now things are running very smoothly. Thanks for all your help over on the official moOde forums!

jae

Major Contributor
It's been a while since I fiddled with Camilla. Can Camilla use multiple convolution filters at once? Can there be two unique filters for L and R?

Can Moode automatically pick the correct wav filed based on sample rate of source file?

kejar31

It's been a while since I fiddled with Camilla. Can Camilla use multiple convolution filters at once? Can there be two unique filters for L and R?

Can Moode automatically pick the correct wav filed based on sample rate of source file?

Each channel will need it own filter in mono and unfortunately you will have choose a refresh rate and have CamillaDSP set the refresh rate to the one that matches your convolution filter.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok so I do the same as I have done for my headphones first... as in import the WAV file for my headphones in Convolution File, convert then set the L and R in Quick Convolution Filter?

Then where do I do the WAV files from the HeSuVi\hrir and wow there's so many WAV files. Perhaps i can look into Mega Switcher and see which WAV file is used when I turn on HeSuVi. I have to say MS+HeSuVi really gives the impression I have speakers right in front of me thru my cans.

Exciting stuff. Even Atmos audio via Apple Music and AirPods Pro cannot do this and there is no reason why it cannot. We have 2 ears only and can localize things just fine.

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Quick question before I go down this rabbit hole. Can the Pi4 be modded to accept coax digital? I know it can out via an AES hat. This would solve a lot of problems for me. I don’t need the Pi to be a player but really to accept either USB 2.0 audio or coax digital.

My goal is 2 monitors crossed over to a quad sub system. Would that be possible?

Beershaun

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

srrxr71

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Last edited:

vengelmann

I figured out how to do this using Jack + camilladsp + Kodi + (weirdly) PulseAudio.

There are probably better ways to set this up and the Kodi part could easily just be an HDMI input into your computer/Pi.

The problem of number of channels out (eg 6 for 5.1 or 8 for 7.1) can be solved with either a surround sound sound card or (in my insane case) using JackAudio to combine the two sound cards that I have - a Schiit Modi 3+ DAC and my laptop’s built-in sound card. (This gives me 4 channels so I am running 3.1 at the moment…looking around for my other USB sound card).

For those wondering about clock timing, I swear Jack’s alsa_out is taking care of it somehow.

I’ve watched a two hour movie and did not hear the two sound cards go out of synch between my center and mains (center was playing from the built in sound card, mains from my DAC).

Seems like with this set up I could just add a stack of DACs to achieve however many channels the computer can process before clipping. :D

Anyway you can pipe your sound from anywhere to anywhere in Linux so that’s what time doing.

Will write up a post with more info later.

maxm272

Forum Donor
Btw there is an upcoming version of Moode (Moode 7.3) which includes a new version of Camilla DSP. It is now possible to directly import wav files in Camilla.
Is it necessary/possible to split wav files from, say, Hesuvi into L and R? I've uploaded one of fmy favorite HRIRs (Ssc_ny.wav) and selected it for both IR left and IR right. Is that correct or do I need two different files for L and R?

Top Bottom