• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Moode 7.1 and Camilla DSP

Xombul

Forum Donor
There is an upcoming version of Moode which embeds Camilla DSP and I am very enthousiastic about it.

Now, you can run very easily a *.wav file on a cheap Raspberry 4 (it even works on Rasp3+Hat) and get a full room correction solution including EQ, FIR, IIR filters. Of course you have to do the room measurement and create the correction filters on a third part software like REW+rephase.
CamillaDSP is really user-friendly if you like headphones. You simply go on the site below and download the *.wav you need for your headphones with the proper bitrate.
AutoEq/results/innerfidelity/innerfidelity_harman_over-ear_2018/

Then, back to Moode 7.1 you select Configure/Camilla DSP.
In "General" select "Quick convolution filter" in the scrolling list
In "Convolution file", select "UPLOAD NEW" and the *.wav file
Unfortunately you will get an error message with two red crosses as Camilla only recognizes *.raw files. No worries, a CONVERT button has magically appeared. You press it and the Left and Right *.wav file are created.
In "Quick Convolution Filter" select the IR Left and IR Right in the scrolling list. Adjust the gain and that's it.
Eventually don't forget to SAVE

Hope it can help...

OP
Xombul

Xombul

Forum Donor
In addition to my previous message : it is quite simple to use Audiolense 6.16 in combination with Camilla DSP for loudspeakers equalization. In Audiolense you just have to select setup/correction file format/wave+config. When you save the correction filter, Audiolense is going to also create a set of *.wav files with the required sampling rate.
Then, you just have to proceed the same with the Audiolense *.wav files as you did for the headphones equalization files.
Hope it can help

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Yes it’s quite exciting for people wanting to do active crossovers using the raspberry pi. (I think there are ADCs and interfaces hats too)

But multi subwoofers will always be king to any social setup imo. I don’t want this to give people hope that they can break the laws of physics on a budget.

Gekel

Is there a guide out there explaining how I can implement room correction using Camilla DSP? I am sure I need an audio sample, play it over my equipment, record it at the same time with another device and use this as input for the frequency correction config file in Camilla.

But how in detail?

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is there a guide out there explaining how I can implement room correction using Camilla DSP? I am sure I need an audio sample, play it over my equipment, record it at the same time with another device and use this as input for the frequency correction config file in Camilla.

But how in detail?

Have you done any room correction in the past outside Moode and Camila DSP?

Gekel

I traveled between sleeping room, the kitchen and the bath room several times to correct the room I am in. Otherwise no, but it shouldn't be that hard

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Camila DSP is the executioner. It can execute almost any manipulations you wish.

But you have to be the designer.

If you’re looking for a solution to be both the designer and executioner then this is not it.

Gekel

The whole process is as I expected, but I can't use cheap software/hardware to generate the correction line. Does Sonarworks Reference 4 work with CamillaDSP?

OP
Xombul

Xombul

Forum Donor
I am afraid Sonarworks is not compatible with CamilleDSP as, as far a I know, it uses a proprietary file format for the correction filter.

Actually, it is simple: you just have to check if the correction software you are contemplating can export the correction filter in a * . wav format.

Gekel

REW seems to work and is freeware - even better. And the microphone they use is only 100 USD/Euro, so that's also ok.

OP
Xombul

Xombul

Forum Donor
I fully agree with you, however REW is more a measurement freeware than a convolution filters designing tool. In addition, it is quite complex to handle. I advise, as a start, to use the rta option ( moving microphone measurement or mmm) to get the room curve. Then REW calculates the correction filters in frequency and you can export the files in a wav format. Playing around with phase corrections or delays is another story...

Gekel

I found a nice video on YT explaining how to build such a correction curve with REW with a step by step guide. I am sure I can follow that, and if I fail - the forum for REW will help me.

But if you know a different software which works with Cammila DSP (can generate a WAV file and export it), just mention it here. I checked some software and found prices up to 1500 Euros, which is way more I want to invest. 100-250 Euro is ok, not 1000.

OP
Xombul

Xombul

Forum Donor
I recommend Julian Krause's video on YouTube. It provides very clear explanations about how to measure the room response curve, using a sweep signal, and to design a correction filter. IMO mmm methodology is faster and simpler but it is just my opinion:), the video is really good and explanatory.
Acurate and Audiolense (juice hifi) can both export a wav file. You can start with a free limited trial, and buy in a second time the software you prefer.. ;)

Nemo

Forum Donor
There is an upcoming version of Moode which embeds Camilla DSP and I am very enthousiastic about it.

Now, you can run very easily a *.wav file on a cheap Raspberry 4 (it even works on Rasp3+Hat) and get a full room correction solution including EQ, FIR, IIR filters. Of course you have to do the room measurement and create the correction filters on a third part software like REW+rephase.
CamillaDSP is really user-friendly if you like headphones. You simply go on the site below and download the *.wav you need for your headphones with the proper bitrate.
AutoEq/results/innerfidelity/innerfidelity_harman_over-ear_2018/

Then, back to Moode 7.1 you select Configure/Camilla DSP.
In "General" select "Quick convolution filter" in the scrolling list
In "Convolution file", select "UPLOAD NEW" and the *.wav file
Unfortunately you will get an error message with two red crosses as Camilla only recognizes *.raw files. No worries, a CONVERT button has magically appeared. You press it and the Left and Right *.wav file are created.
In "Quick Convolution Filter" select the IR Left and IR Right in the scrolling list. Adjust the gain and that's it.
Eventually don't forget to SAVE

Hope it can help...
I purchased a pi4 and planning to test Moode this weekend for a desktop headphone system first. My headphone (Ether CX) is not in the innerfidelity list: can I simply use the parametric EQ?

Any other installation tips, beyond checking Moode's Set Up guide? BTW, I got an Argos One case..

At the moment my speakers are in storage, while we are looking for a new place, but once we move I am definitively applying Room EQ, and I was thinking in potentially using the ASR Streamer, but perhaps this set up may prove sufficient :)

Thalis

@Xombul

I am trying camilla for my headphones and have already done the convert from WAV for the Convolution file and set the L and R WAV files for Quick Convolution Filters but what should I do for the Pipeline Config? It still only lists options for the Senn HD800S. Hope for some advice.

OP
Xombul

Xombul

Forum Donor
No worries, you can use the pipeline conv_ae_oratory1990_hd800s
for the Senn hd800 or rename it if you want. The pipeline is quite generic with 2 channels in and 2 channels out. If you open the pipeline editor you can also double check the selected wav filters by plotting the curve.

Thalis

No worries, you can use the pipeline conv_ae_oratory1990_hd800s
for the Senn hd800 or rename it if you want. The pipeline is quite generic with 2 channels in and 2 channels out. If you open the pipeline editor you can also double check the selected wav filters by plotting the curve.

Thanks for replying. Is the WAV file already providing the proper curve or do I need to add filters for the PEQ from AutoEQ?

OP
Xombul

Xombul

Forum Donor
I believe the wav file is ok if you want to get a neutral sound, close to the harman curve. Of course you can EQ your headphones to your own taste and customize the response curve.

OP
Xombul

Xombul

Forum Donor
Btw there is an upcoming version of Moode (Moode 7.3) which includes a new version of Camilla DSP. It is now possible to directly import wav files in Camilla.

Top Bottom