• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice THX-365C Center Channel Speaker Review (by Erin)

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Monoprice%20Monolith%20THX-365C_Compression.png
The oddity around 2 kHz indicates an effective shift in crossover frequency, so possibly crossover inductor saturation or similar.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What would you consider a definitive upgrade over the Monolith say in in the up to $1000 price range?
Thanks
I'd look at Arendal. To my knowledge we haven't seen measurements of their center speaker, but their others are looking good. The 1723 CENTER S THX is $950. I would want to see some polar responses though for assurance.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'd look at Arendal. To my knowledge we haven't seen measurements of their center speaker, but their others are looking good. The 1723 CENTER S THX is $950. I would want to see some polar responses though for assurance.
The 1723 Center S is a 2-way MTM and so far we haven't seen any of those that are any good, so I doubt it. But hey, I'm willing to be shocked, and I like Arendal as a company obviously since I own their products. Still wouldn't touch it without a review.

What would you consider a definitive upgrade over the Monolith say in in the up to $1000 price range?
Thanks

You have to go to a few thousand bucks to get most known definitive upgrades. Very few 3-way center speakers have been measured so there's many unknowns remaining. But it's probably worth mentioning the Kef R3 on its side, which is definitely a step up, but looks a bit odd. The R2C has great directivity, but needs its on axis fixed with EQ. Not sure I would bother with either unless I was using a Kef system to start with. Which I would, the R-series is one of the best options for a midrange $$ multi-channel system.

The Revel C208 is really good and has better directivity with a better controlled woofer-midrange crossover and less high frequency narrowing, but that's $2000. It's also quite large with a near-12" height.

There are various bookshelves that probably would sound better depending on how loud you need to play, like the Revel M106 or the new Ascend Sierra LX(low sensitivity, though). In general I'd say you are better off using an identical bookshelf or one from the same lineup as your L/R if physically possible, instead of a dedicated center, as most are just compromised designs made to fit in a height restriction.

The RC263 has previously been unavailable for more than a year at a time leading to predictions that it was probably not coming back, then it came back. One of these times it won't come back but hard to predict which time.
Right, it might come back, but until it does, it's not a useful recommendation, because nobody is waiting around for a year to buy a cheap center speaker.

GabrielPhoto

The 1723 Center S is a 2-way MTM and so far we haven't seen any of those that are any good, so I doubt it. But hey, I'm willing to be shocked, and I like Arendal as a company obviously since I own their products. Still wouldn't touch it without a review.

You have to go to a few thousand bucks to get most known definitive upgrades. Very few 3-way center speakers have been measured so there's many unknowns remaining. But it's probably worth mentioning the Kef R3 on its side, which is definitely a step up, but looks a bit odd. The R2C has great directivity, but needs its on axis fixed with EQ. Not sure I would bother with either unless I was using a Kef system to start with. Which I would, the R-series is one of the best options for a midrange $$ multi-channel system.

The Revel C208 is really good and has better directivity with a better controlled woofer-midrange crossover and less high frequency narrowing, but that's $2000. It's also quite large with a near-12" height.

There are various bookshelves that probably would sound better depending on how loud you need to play, like the Revel M106 or the new Ascend Sierra LX(low sensitivity, though). In general I'd say you are better off using an identical bookshelf or one from the same lineup as your L/R if physically possible, instead of a dedicated center, as most are just compromised designs made to fit in a height restriction.

Right, it might come back, but until it does, it's not a useful recommendation, because nobody is waiting around for a year to buy a cheap center speaker.
Thanks for those recommendations and input. Fitting another JBL 590 wont happen under my big screen (nor behind it) and the 520c is terrible so I need to get the best center I can get at a budget. The Monolith is doing fine but was just wondering what else was there for not a lot more.

Last edited:

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Pretty much the same way I feel. It deserves a chance.

GabrielPhoto

Well once again I tested more of the Monolith vs the Elac and once again I keep preferring the Monolith. The Elac does have a bit more bass but honestly, I can only tell when I run only the center speakers, the moment I have the LR and subs running that difference is not one I can hear anymore. What I can still hear is the extra "expansiveness" of the sound meaning, the Monolith is better (for me at least) at making my brain think the sound is coming from the screen instead than from the speaker enclosure and seems to have a wider soundstage even though its a mono sound, still somehow gives me that impression. For comparison, the RC-7 is a lot more focused sound with makes it a lot easier to tell where the sound is coming from than either the Elac or Monolith.
And of course the Monolith is much more efficient at +1.5 vs +7.5 to match the sound with the Elac.
Tomorrow the C2+arrives but I dont expect a miracle from that one. It was already on the way otherwise I would have cancelled
I am more curious about how the Monolith towers with the 365 compare to my current setup of JBL 590s with the 365

Last edited:

gbrnole

Well once again I tested more of the Monolith vs the Elac and once again I keep preferring the Monolith. The Elac does have a bit more bass but honestly, I can only tell when I run only the center speakers, the moment I have the LR and subs running that difference is not one I can hear anymore. What I can still hear is the extra "expansiveness" of the sound meaning, the Monolith is better (for me at least) at making my brain think the sound is coming from the screen instead than from the speaker enclosure and seems to have a wider soundstage even though its a mono sound, still somehow gives me that impression. For comparison, the RC-7 is a lot more focused sound with makes it a lot easier to tell where the sound is coming from than either the Elac or Monolith.
And of course the Monolith is much more efficient at +1.5 vs +7.5 to match the sound with the Elac.
Tomorrow the C2+arrives but I dont expect a miracle from that one. It was already on the way otherwise I would have cancelled
I am more curious about how the Monolith towers with the 365 compare to my current setup of JBL 590s with the 365
on the spinorama page you can compare the predicted in-room response of the fully tested 365c to the partially tested mini-towers. they track each other quite closely. i would expect the full towers to be similar with deeper bass response and likely a little higher sensitivity.

HooStat

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The 1723 Center S is a 2-way MTM and so far we haven't seen any of those that are any good, so I doubt it.
They simply report the vertical frequency response for the horizontal center. This is one reason why I am very hesitant to buy from them. They should at least indicate that they are assuming a vertically oriented center. But their photos CLEARLY show that it is horizontal (look at the binding post orientation).

Last edited:

warthor

If you place the Kef R3 on its side doesn't that mean you have fairly poor "horizontal" directivity now?

gbrnole

If you place the Kef R3 on its side doesn't that mean you have fairly poor "horizontal" directivity now?
a KEF R3 has a pretty uniform plus/minus 40 degrees of directivity both horizontally and vertically hence the recommendation. Generally almost any conventional tweeter / mid (TM) arranged bookshelf placed horizontally will outperform an MTM specific horizontal center channel. just looks a bit odd.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are basically the same speaker.
No. They ARE the same speaker.
Looks like we are saying the same thing? Why answer in the negative?

By the way, the reason I said "basically", is because they aren't exactly the same. The back of the cabinet is different, along with the wire terminals, to account for the assumed positions each speaker would be used in.

HooStat

Looks like we are saying the same thing? Why answer in the negative?

By the way, the reason I said "basically", is because they aren't exactly the same. The back of the cabinet is different, along with the wire terminals, to account for the assumed positions each speaker would be used in.
Sorry -- I misinterpreted your comment to mean that they might be different in a meaningful way (e.g., changes to the cross-over). I wanted to emphasize that their "center channel" information is intentionally misleading. Any frustration in my post is directed at Arendal, not you!

Last edited:

jbattman1016

I asked this over at AVS, but that thread was closed, can someone with this speaker send me the high drops out the back? I want to verify this will fit in my setup, but my TV is currently at 8.5 inches height with about 3 inches of space in front for the center to be placed under it. IF the curve drops off enough the speaker will fit perfectly.

So yeah, looking to find out the high drops (.5 inch) for the curve in the back of the speaker. Thanks.

HooStat

I asked this over at AVS, but that thread was closed, can someone with this speaker send me the high drops out the back? I want to verify this will fit in my setup, but my TV is currently at 8.5 inches height with about 3 inches of space in front for the center to be placed under it. IF the curve drops off enough the speaker will fit perfectly.

So yeah, looking to find out the high drops (.5 inch) for the curve in the back of the speaker. Thanks.
I found Arendal pretty responsive to email requests. I am sure they can provide that for you.

sword

It's not going to fit. At least half the 10.8" depth is flat at 9.7" tall.

Nathan11

Interesting review, interesting speaker!

Monolith 365C vs Klipsch RP-504C made me loose my sleep haha.
Could I crank it up with the 365C using my Denon X-2700H?

Also, would it be wise to use 3x365C for LCR?

Last edited:
Top Bottom