• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice THX-365C Center Channel Speaker Review (by Erin)

gbrnole

@hardisj obviously did not include the Infinity in this comment because it's far superior (at least spin wise).
it's in the price point.

his comment was that this monolith in his opinion is the best center speaker at this price point that he has reviewed and some that he hasn't reviewed but has knowledge of.

considering the only other center speakers out there he hasn't reviewed are RC263, Polk R350 and the Revels it's not a leap to assume he includes the RC263 in the opinion. i'm not sure that i agree that the RC263 spin data is even superior, let alone far superior. i won't be surprised to see the monolith with a very similar preference score.

sword

How does this compare to the RC263? A bit narrower but it’s also cheaper when they actually come back in stock

The RC263 has not been available for more than a year. I doubt it's coming back.

dfuller

Major Contributor
As said it is a result of the mid dome which cannot be crossed lower, with a small cone mid driver which could be crossed quite lower (like for example at 300 Hz) it wouldn't be an issue.
It's already crossed remarkably low for a 2" dome mid - about 100hz below the 3" dome in the KH310 (which is, admittedly, crossed a bit higher than I'd expect given its size) - but 2" domes are usually 100-200hz higher than where the KH310 crosses. I have to wonder, if they found a 3" dome mid (or had one made by that OEM) and added it with a slightly lower crossover point (say, 450hz?) if that would correct the issue.,

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Based on the measurements this thing really starts to narrow up on the top end.

I considered using one but I'm glad I just stuck a single Buchardt S400 there oriented vertically like my MKII L&R. The dispersion to all seats with the waveguide is nearly unbeatable, and matches the reflection pattern to the walls of the L&R. It just won't play as loud as this Monoprice THX, if you asked it to. I never run out of loudness though as I'm not sitting far away in a large room.

sword

Based on the measurements this thing really starts to narrow up on the top end.

I considered using one but I'm glad I just stuck a single Buchardt S400 there oriented vertically like my MKII L&R. The dispersion to all seats with the waveguide is nearly unbeatable, and matches the reflection pattern to the walls of the L&R. It just won't play as loud as this Monoprice THX, if you asked it to. I never run out of loudness though as I'm not sitting far away in a large room.
Most people can't even hear the high frequencies where it gets narrower. High frequencies also have more room reflection energy than lower frequencies, which is why the downward sloping in-room response is beneficial.

I'll take reference level output with low distortion all day over a minor narrowing of dispersion above 15khz.

Ringwraith

True, but in Europe that Atmos speaker was costing an extra €100 (365T price vs 365C).
Yes they were on Amazon UK for less than 190 pounds. I got 3 of them to use as LCRs. Don't have the space to put them all horizontally so going to experiment with keeping the L/Rs vertically

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
High frequencies also have more room reflection energy than lower frequencies, which is why the downward sloping in-room response is beneficial.
You'll still get that from a speaker that has consistent polar response to 20 kHz, no narrowing of the tweeter is necessary.

warthor

For the price of the monolith THX-365C ($450) there are a number of other better center channels (preference score in parentheses):
  1. Elac Uni-Fi 2.0 UC52 (5.0)
  2. Infinity RC263 (4.7)
  3. Monolith THX-365c: (4.4)
Also, as others have noted, it would seem that the KEF Q350 (5.7) is a great option for center channels at the moment because it is less than $500 for a pair ($250 each). Accessories4less has it for even cheaper. It is coaxial which is a benefit for center channels (according to others who know more than me).

To get a better scoring center channel than the Elac you need to spend triple the $$$, so its not worth mentioning an upgrade. To get a better bookshelf speaker to use as a center channel (compared to the KEF Q350) you need to spend $750 on the Polk R200.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For the price of the monolith THX-365C ($450) there are a number of other better center channels (preference score in parentheses):
  2. Infinity RC263 (4.7)
Also, as others have noted, it would seem that the KEF Q350 (5.7) is a great option for center channels at the moment because it is less than $500 for a pair ($250 each). Accessories4less has it for even cheaper. It is coaxial which is a benefit for center channels (according to others who know more than me).

To get a better scoring center channel than the Elac you need to spend triple the $$$, so its not worth mentioning an upgrade. To get a better bookshelf speaker to use as a center channel (compared to the KEF Q350) you need to spend $750 on the Polk R200.
I do not believe in using preference scores to compare speakers as they tell you very little about the product. These speakers have very different goals, too. The Infinity is close but I would not put the ELAC or KEF in this comparison.

GabrielPhoto

I do not believe in using preference scores to compare speakers as they tell you very little about the product. These speakers have very different goals, too. The Infinity is close but I would not put the ELAC or KEF in this comparison.
Agree. I am testing the Elac and the Monolith currently and I am yet to find a single test where I actually feel the Elac is better. So far, I am picking the Monolith over the Elac (and over the RSC200, RC-7,504c, rc64 iii and 520c). And if anything I was bias towards the Elac cause I got it much cheaper than the others :D

sword

2. Infinity RC263 (4.7)

The scores are pointless. The Elac probably gets a higher score because it extends lower in the bass region, which is not required in a home theater setting where a subwoofer is used. The Elac also has much lower sensitivity the 365C.

The RC263 has not been available for over a year, and is probably not coming back.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The scores are pointless. The Elac probably gets a higher score because it extends lower in the bass region, which is not required in a home theater setting where a subwoofer is used. The Elac also has much lower sensitivity the 365C.

The RC263 has not been available for over a year, and is probably not coming back.
It's a good point, centers prob should be evaluated by the w/sub score to eliminate LFX, and that makes the 365C a 7.3, the RC263 a 7.4, the Elac a 7.1 and the Q350 a 7.5. So basically a wash, all well within margin of error.

Considering that sensitivity does probably matter at these price points where people will be using lower power AVRs, the Monoprice actually comes out the best for that reason, and as you stated, it's actually buyable.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But...since a lot of sensitivity is eaten up by the bass driver, if you cross a speaker to a sub and reduce woofer output, especially if you reduce its extension, you would improve the sensitivity of the bass driver. In fact Rick Craig talked about this with the Purezza. It had a stepped-down bass output to compensate for placing near boundaries. He said he could change the crossover to have normal bass output but it would reduce the sensitivity. However if that driver was designed for deep bass output, the improvement will be less than using a different kind of driver altogether.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
  2. Infinity RC263 (4.7)

Careful using the pereference score like that, it's heavily influenced by the low frequency extension and that is less or more moot since a home cinema always has a subwoofer.

GabrielPhoto

It's a good point, centers prob should be evaluated by the w/sub score to eliminate LFX, and that makes the 365C a 7.3, the RC263 a 7.4, the Elac a 7.1 and the Q350 a 7.5. So basically a wash, all well within margin of error.

Considering that sensitivity does probably matter at these price points where people will be using lower power AVRs, the Monoprice actually comes out the best for that reason, and as you stated, it's actually buyable.
What would you consider a definitive upgrade over the Monolith say in in the up to $1000 price range?
Thanks

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The RC263 has previously been unavailable for more than a year at a time leading to predictions that it was probably not coming back, then it came back. One of these times it won't come back but hard to predict which time.

AVKS

What would you consider a definitive upgrade over the Monolith say in in the up to $1000 price range?
Thanks
Audible upgrades ate likely a push if you're looking for that sonic profile, but something like the Paradigm 600c offers upgraded finish and some extra bells and whistles.

Top Bottom