• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice THX-365C Center Channel Speaker Review (by Erin)

ronnzi

My own evaluation of the incorrect/sneaky polars is semi-important, but I sense great dishonesty with them saying they don't even have the horizontal polars. Real respect for customers (savvy or not) right there.

Big centers...somehow Revel C208's keep selling. I did mention they could tighten up the toppled MTM making the center somewhat taller and at least address some of the lobing issues...no new drivers/3-way needed.

How do you like the 1961 monitor trio? I have been thinking about that in an AT screen setup. Alas I worry about projector fan noise in high altitude fan mode (I am at 7000 ft), especially when my rrom's noise floor is already a low 26dBA (therefore thinking about direct display too).
I’ll preface this by saying I haven’t had a chance to listen to the c208 or the Arendals at this point, just been doing a lot of reading.

In trying to decide between a c208/f208 or f206 vs Arendal 1723 THX monitors as my next LCRs, the 3-way setup of the c208 vs the dynamic range benefits of the Arendal seem to be the big trade-offs. I would be using dual Monolith 15’ subs, hence why I’d probably be skipping the Arendal towers and just go with the monitors.

I might be reading into it wrong, but Arendal seems to claim their speakers have better dynamic range than a lot of the 3-way setups out there because of their dedicated 8 inch mids. Even the c208 uses a very small mid driver (around 4 inches I believe?). I currently have a 3-way center (the SVS Ultra Center) and don’t like the idea of switching to a MTM design, but part of me does wonder how big of a deal it is given that anyone that really cares is usually pretty well within the sweet spot of the combined LCRs (in my case, my L and R towers are towed in pretty aggressively, which gives me even more reason to do this).

Not saying when the time comes that I won’t go with the c208 (I’m sure it would be a huge upgrade), but I’m not going to lie that having a completely matched front stage minus the horizontal Arendal 1721 center (that is really the same as the monitors) isn’t super appealing. I am using a normal TV in my setup, so a transparent screen with 3 horizontal monitors or towers isn’t an option. I thought about doing matching R3 or m106 bookshelves, but I’d have to raise my TV more than I would like. I am also afraid they wouldn’t provide a large enough presence/SPL for my large room - I’d be moving away from dual/tripple 6.5 inch 3-way speakers with dedicated mid ranges, to single 6.5 inch bookshelves…). In the past when I had towers with 8 inch woofers in the room, I loved their sense of scale and presence, so when/if I upgrade, I really want to go with something larger.

Not looking for advice on this (I’m pretty happy with my current home theater calibration). Just sharing my thoughts. I think the fact that Arendal wants their speakers to all use the same general drivers/wave guided tweeter, as well as its insistence on the larger drivers plays a big factor here. Maybe moving the woofers closer together like was suggested would help, but not sure.

I haven’t heard anyone actually complain about their centers who actually purchased one, and it seems like a lot of their customers would be the type that would, but who knows.

Last edited:

beaRA

My own evaluation of the incorrect/sneaky polars is semi-important, but I sense great dishonesty with them saying they don't even have the horizontal polars. Real respect for customers (savvy or not) right there.

Big centers...somehow Revel C208's keep selling. I did mention they could tighten up the toppled MTM making the center somewhat taller and at least address some of the lobing issues...no new drivers/3-way needed.

How do you like the 1961 monitor trio? I have been thinking about that in an AT screen setup. Alas I worry about projector fan noise in high altitude fan mode (I am at 7000 ft), especially when my rrom's noise floor is already a low 26dBA (therefore thinking about direct display too).
I'm loving the 1961 Monitors in my room. I needed a compact speaker to fit behind my screen and they have impressive dynamic capability for their size. I wouldn't trade the perfect center placement or immersive projected size for a TV. You could look into a hush box or project through a window (need special glass) from a room behind the theater if that works in your space.

219Dave

Hi guys,

My first post! Been lurking for a bit.

I am considering upgrading my center channel. I currently have an elac debut 2.0 6.2. Matching left and rights. Heights and surrounds are Emotiva a2+. Sub is a Hsu VTF 3 Mk5. Denon 2700h. Room is around 14x30. 80/20 movies/music.

No complaints really about my elac center. Just a little of upgradeitis, maybe. Not looking to spend more than $400-$500, because I have twins in college. Oh, divorced and watch mainly on my own, so one main listening/viewing position. TV is LG c1 in 65.

From what I'm reading, the 365 is appealing. Final thoughts on

365c
Hsu HC-1 and CCB-8
Emotiva c2+ (bear in mind really just watching alone, not worried about other listening positions, linearity (I think it is called)

Thanks in advance,

David

GabrielPhoto

Hi guys,

My first post! Been lurking for a bit.

I am considering upgrading my center channel. I currently have an elac debut 2.0 6.2. Matching left and rights. Heights and surrounds are Emotiva a2+. Sub is a Hsu VTF 3 Mk5. Denon 2700h. Room is around 14x30. 80/20 movies/music.

No complaints really about my elac center. Just a little of upgradeitis, maybe. Not looking to spend more than $400-$500, because I have twins in college. Oh, divorced and watch mainly on my own, so one main listening/viewing position. TV is LG c1 in 65.

From what I'm reading, the 365 is appealing. Final thoughts on

365c
Hsu HC-1 and CCB-8
Emotiva c2+ (bear in mind really just watching alone, not worried about other listening positions, linearity (I think it is called)

Thanks in advance,

David
I would skip the Emotiva C2 no matter what. I cannot stand a center that is so directional..by that I mean, it is always reminding you that the voices are coming from the box not the screen as it has zero sound "halo". That alone, to me is an automatic no no

219Dave

Thanks for your response, Gabriel. What did you end up going with as a center?

GabrielPhoto

I got a list of ones I liked here;
My current favorite that I am using is the Revel C208. There is one being developed by an ID company which got me very intrigued but I am under NDA so cant comment anything. Just waiting for the first working prototype to see how it turns out!

jbattman1016

I would skip the Emotiva C2 no matter what. I cannot stand a center that is so directional..by that I mean, it is always reminding you that the voices are coming from the box not the screen as it has zero sound "halo". That alone, to me is an automatic no no
From your list, I would recommend the HSU Option CCB-8s all around. Nothing to really worry about with those.

AVKS

For what it's worth, the C2 being priced as it is makes it a much better value than it's former $500 price tag. He has his experience with that speaker but being too directional/boxy seems to be a rare take, and I know I didn't have that experience with my C2. Used it for several years before having an upper-tier Revel fall into my lap, and even then the Revel isn't really that much better to my ears in my room.

GabrielPhoto

For what it's worth, the C2 being priced as it is makes it a much better value than it's former $500 price tag. He has his experience with that speaker but being too directional/boxy seems to be a rare take, and I know I didn't have that experience with my C2. Used it for several years before having an upper-tier Revel fall into my lap, and even then the Revel isn't really that much better to my ears in my room.
I have seen even people that like the c2 sound still agreeing in the issues with directionality. The fact that you didn't find the revel that much better than the c2 really makes me question your setup.
Not a personal attack, just there is no way I can think of that in a proper setup, the revel is not going to easily outclass the c2+.

jbattman1016

I have heard the C1 in a system and it doesn't seems a bit noticeable that audio is coming from the center channel and not the rest of the sound stage. I wonder if this is caused by the speaker being easier to drive (4Ohm) over the rest of the system at 8Ohms... not sure... It could also just be bad setup issues... so many variables.

GabrielPhoto

I have heard the C1 in a system and it doesn't seems a bit noticeable that audio is coming from the center channel and not the rest of the sound stage. I wonder if this is caused by the speaker being easier to drive (4Ohm) over the rest of the system at 8Ohms... not sure... It could also just be bad setup issues... so many variables.
The c1+ doesn't have the dual mids of the c2+ so it has better horizontal dispersion than the c2+. Maybe that is helping it

AVKS

I have seen even people that like the c2 sound still agreeing in the issues with directionality. The fact that you didn't find the revel that much better than the c2 really makes me question your setup.
Not a personal attack, just there is no way I can think of that in a proper setup, the revel is not going to easily outclass the c2+.
5.1 set up and measured with REW, equilateral triangles, blah blah... nothing to doubt. I'm not discounting your experience or the few anecdotals you reference but it could be something about your spaces as well - goes both ways, or perhaps mine was just more friendly to the C2. Either way it is not a night and day difference to my ears in my space, as I said, which are different from yours.

Patently discounting the speaker as you do and citing your experience as the definitive one is a bit of a short-sighted approach.

GabrielPhoto

5.1 set up and measured with REW, equilateral triangles, blah blah... nothing to doubt. I'm not discounting your experience or the few anecdotals you reference but it could be something about your spaces as well - goes both ways, or perhaps mine was just more friendly to the C2. Either way it is not a night and day difference to my ears in my space, as I said, which are different from yours.
No it doesn't go both ways because measurements actually tell the story that match my own findings.
Feel free to belive what you like of course but facts are facts.

AVKS

No it doesn't go both ways because measurements actually tell the story that match my own findings.
Feel free to belive what you like of course but facts are facts.
For something subjective like a "halo effect" from a center channel in a given space? Please direct me to the measurement for that. Otherwise, please consider qualifying your statements accordingly as I've done.

Top Bottom