• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Veri

Master Contributor
For the most part and real world use, better noise will be much more likely to have better results as the distortion components will be lower than noise in normal listening levels.

So it makes little sense to buy 888 over 887? :cool:

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
So it makes little sense to buy 888 over 887? :cool:
But sp200 is cheaper than monoprice 887. The end results though are mainly determined by implementation or the product as a whole. An amazing module doesn't automatically make an amazing product.

Celty

This is supposed to be an "objectivist" leaning forum, but my biggest negative for the SMSL SP200 is both objective and totally subjective:
c07dc187a5449782378fe896a9d7de7c_1200x1200.jpg

Objective: It's case is "crooked"
Subjective: The worst design decision I have seen

Last edited:

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
This is supposed to be an "objectivist" leaning forum, but my biggest negative for the SMSL SP200is both objective and totally subjective:
c07dc187a5449782378fe896a9d7de7c_1200x1200.jpg

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0...82378fe896a9d7de7c_1200x1200.jpg?v=1571888918
Objective: It's case is "crooked"
Subjective: The worst design decision I have seen
Well, some people just can't be pleased, it seems. This is an objectivist-leaning forum, and that device is indeed objectively leaning (to one side). What more could you want? hahaha! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :facepalm::D

Celty

Well, some people just can't be pleased, it seems. This is an objectivist-leaning forum, and that device is indeed objectively leaning (to one side). What more could you want? hahaha! Sorry, I couldn't help myself. :facepalm::D
LOL I figured someone might go for the low hanging fruit I left out there, :p

chlipong

The THX AAA 887 is in stock at monoprice.eu for 399€ with free shipping.
It was 439€ at audiophonics.fr when it was in stock, now 489€ (available on order).

(The M1070 headphones is going to be listed very soon as well).

Last edited:

habb1

Has anybody tried buying from monoprice.eu? Is this official website? :) It lacks a lot of basic info, delivery time, faq, etc. and no info on the web about this.

london_r

Just picked one up from the monoprice UK site.... purchased on the Friday morning, shipped Friday evening and was with me on Tuesday. Been very impressed so far partnered up with a Chord Qutest and Auralic Aries Femto.

chlipong

Has anybody tried buying from monoprice.eu? Is this official website? :) It lacks a lot of basic info, delivery time, faq, etc. and no info on the web about this.
Yes I bought a M1060C headphone on march 15, received 4 days later and a THX AAA 887 on march 19, received 5 days later with a week end in between. Monoprice.eu is based in Netherlands, their carrier is GLS.

I paid 238,55€ (in europe we're using a comma for decimals) for the M1060C but they raised the price yesterday to 275,90€ (+15,5%) and I saw that they also raised the price of the M1060 headphone from 240,30€ to 285€ (+18,5%) saying by email when I asked about this, that it was due to shortage because of COVID-19 when monoprice's CEO said that they will keep their prices low despite the current situation.
Compared to the M1060C at monoprice.com that is currently on sale for $218.55 (29.5% off).

Monoprice.eu listed new products last week and this week so I'm quite doubtful about this shortage, they are receiving their pallets.
It's seems that it is a stealthy raise of prices with false excuse to increase their margin, which is sealthy.

An Update from Bernard, CEO of Monoprice
March 20, 2020
Fair Pricing and Product Limits - Many items are in particularly high demand right now as more people are working remotely and businesses solidify network infrastructure. We will continue to place a high priority on keeping our prices low. In addition, if needed, we are prepared to place product limits on orders to help as many customers as we can, who are looking for the same types of items.

Last edited:

onethinline

Hey all. New here but I've been really appreciating all the helpful content. Anyway, my THX 887 arrived today and is my first proper desktop amp (before this I'd been using my Chord Mojo which is great but doesn't have a lot of oomph). Already the 887 sounds fantastic, with my LCD-Xs getting along great, and even more impressive the amp has given entirely new life to my HD660S, which honestly hadn't impressed me until now. Goes to show ya what a good wallop of juice can do, I guess.

Meantime, I was wondering if anyone has had a less-than-great experience with how the Monoprice unit is packaged? The packaging on mine was a bit rough, and there were some minor smudges on the top of the unit, all giving me the impression this was maybe a returned unit (or maybe someone went through it in customs)? Has anyone run into this? I assume these aren't in sealed bags or sealed with stickers, cuz mine sure wasn't.

I might reach out to Monoprice, but meantime it SOUNDS great and I'm not sure if it's worth the bother.

John57

The packaging on mine is first rate. Was your amp packed in a cloth bag with draw string saying Monolith on it? My unit was triple packed with two from the manufacture and the third was the Monoprice shipping box

onethinline

The packaging on mine is first rate. Was your amp packed in a cloth bag with draw string saying Monolith on it?

Yep, the amp was in a cloth bag, however the top of the amp itself did have some minor smudges. The power cable/wart box was a little roughed up and the cable and wart seemed like they’d been crammed back in. There were no sealing stickers and no plastic wrap to indicate a “brand new” seal but perhaps that’s normal. Not sure if Monoprice just resells returns, but I was left suspicious.

chlipong

Yes, there was no sealing stickers or plastic wrap on mine either so it seems normal, but the minor smudges on your unit, aren't.

onethinline

Yes, there was no sealing stickers or plastic wrap on mine either so it seems normal, but the minor smudges on your unit, aren't.

Hm yeah I may reach out to Monoprice. I was already irritated with them because their "custom" shipping service, which offered free overnight, really screwed up the delivery. While I was waiting for that to sort out and given it looked like the package was lost at one point, I ordered a Magni 3+ as a back-up. Now I've got both and I'm interested to compare them directly. It'd be funny to find out I could save $300 by sticking with the Magni, though there's no doubt the 887 LOOKS more serious.

davesa

Does anybody who as seen pictures of the internals wonder what the purpose of capacitor C12 and C13 are - they look like they could be used as power supply filter caps but they are not used on the 887. I wonder if they did not put them in due to the height of the case?

Daimiel

Hm yeah I may reach out to Monoprice. I was already irritated with them because their "custom" shipping service, which offered free overnight, really screwed up the delivery. While I was waiting for that to sort out and given it looked like the package was lost at one point, I ordered a Magni 3+ as a back-up. Now I've got both and I'm interested to compare them directly. It'd be funny to find out I could save $300 by sticking with the Magni, though there's no doubt the 887 LOOKS more serious.
I'm very interested in the comparsion.
Post it please ;).

Mocs123

Forum Donor
Does anyone know how the Monoprice warranty would transfer to a second owner if it was bought second hand? Would the new owner be SOL or would they just go off manufacturing date?

Get a hearing test

Anyway, my THX 887 arrived today and is my first proper desktop amp (before this I'd been using my Chord Mojo which is great but doesn't have a lot of oomph). Goes to show ya what a good wallop of juice can do, I guess.
What does that mean. Reviewers keep saying that sound is richer when coming from a high power amp. is 887 considered high power or is it in the league of something like atom/heresy/magni with added bonus of lower distortion albeit already inaudible floor, better snr. I distinctly remember older hardware distorting going nowhere near 100%, but these things perform at 100% as well as normal listening volumes. But whats the point of distortion free even at 100%. Must be perks of modern electronics.

Top Bottom