• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Tks

Major Contributor
Hello, using flares gold on 887, gain 3 volume max (player on pause or golds will explode).... 0 sound. It seems an oled tv, perfect black. My father, old classical hifier noted.... the really dark background of this 887 with piano and opera , connected to d5. D5 alone and hugo2 are not so dead silent.

Dont use high-gain if your DAC is outputting more than 2V. Just to be safe, don't bother with high gain at all. My brain wants to explode if I use medium gain with a balanced connection and 4V out of the DAC...

Celty

Dont use high-gain if your DAC is outputting more than 2V. Just to be safe, don't bother with high gain at all. My brain wants to explode if I use medium gain with a balanced connection and 4V out of the DAC...
I am running the 887 fed by the SU-8 with my HD6XX on XLR cables. I think I understand what you are saying (I think) as to why not to use Gain 3. The SU-8 has an output level of 2 Vrms unbalanced and 4 Vrms balanced, and I think I recall you stating at some point that feeding the 887 4V would cause clipping.

I have experimented with the following ways to control volume:

1. If I set the DAC volume to max, with gain 3, the amp volume might be approximately 10 o'clock.
2. With the DAC volume again set to max, with gain 2, the amp volume might be approximately 2 o'clock.
3. My most common practice has been to set the amp volume about 2 o'clock on gain three and then adjust final volume via the DAC (typically low 20's out of 38).

None of these approaches have caused any clipping that I have been able to discern. They all are at approximately the same listening volume. Then again, is it possible I am just not "hearing" clipping?

I love the 887, but I do wish they had a manual.

Tks

Major Contributor
Typically, whatever device (AMP or DAC) is the lesser performer, I will want to have it maxed out, and play with volume on the device that has higher performance across the board. Have the bottleneck be as least of a factor in the chain as possible.

It seems you're not clipping in that case, so you should be fine. I heard the clipping on LCD2C's but not on 58X's (these headphones simply distort harshly before the amp seemingly even reaches clipping to begin with).

I like your approach with step 2 most if you ask me though. Peace of mind, and still you have headroom. (Though that setting for me feels like my ears are being sent to the ether, I don't know what it is, but I seem to not listen to music as loud as anyone I personally know). Like for instance I'm feeding RME to the 789, both on lowest gain, and depending on genre sometimes I can't get past 12 o clock with the amp (there are exceptions to orchestral/classic music with very wide dynamic range, so there is much breathing room).

If I set the RME to output full 4V, and I was in Medium Gain even at 10 oclock, I feel like I'm dying lol.

skypablo

Aye, it was just a test to find how black was the background at maximum power, absolute 0. Sometimes I prefer gain 2 with volume under 9 o clock, sometime gain 1 with volume under 10-11. Measured decibel with a audio meter inside the cup of an headphone , abount never I pass 80db. I find gain 2 (more volts if I understand) a bit more punchier but nothing really different. The r70x (470 ohm) while I am writing are at gain 1 and volume under 9 o clock lol (r70x on balanced silver cable)

Reactions: Tks

Inkey31

Forum Donor
Hello,

Could someone please tell me if they have done an A/B to the Massdrop amp yet? I am wondering if I should buy this amp for its better numbers. Based on this review it sounds like yes? But Amir fails to mention if he has a THX 789 and if the 887 sounds better or not.

Tks

Major Contributor
Hello,

Could someone please tell me if they have done an A/B to the Massdrop amp yet? I am wondering if I should buy this amp for its better numbers. Based on this review it sounds like yes? But Amir fails to mention if he has a THX 789 and if the 887 sounds better or not.

I haven't done an A/B test nor would I want to, as the devices are virtually the same (the Monoprice seems like a newer revision from the ODM, and have simply made it a bit better). We're talking about vanishing levels of distortion here, the only thing you could possibly A/B between these things (if you're willing to risk serious hearing loss) is perhaps power output, or channel matching (which would be within margin of error due to pot variance).

The only significant difference is the external casing/knobs and such (aside from the objectively better measurements). A/Bing these amps would be simply impossible to tell one from the other.

Buying either would be great, but there are devices who have had recently better metrics in some aspects. So the only thing you should be looking out for is other factors like price, warranty, looks, power needs, connectivity options, etc...

ArtemisXCIX

Hello,

I didn't A/B but it's pretty safe to say they will sound practically identical. The measured difference are practically inaudible to the human ears.

Since they are also priced so similarly and have same inputs and outputs. Just go with what looks better to you and how important is warrenty duration to you. If you wanna save some cash you could look at the SMSL SP200 too.

Last edited:

Celty

Hello,

Availability, a bit better measurements, and the longer warranty, tipped the scales for the 887 to me.

Not to mention the far lusher sound, vastly wider sound stage, and three dimensional positioning. (JK of course)

Tks is right, the differentials beyond sound are the things to make a choice on. You cannot make a bad decision in choosing between the 887 and 789, so take comfort - unlike Las Vegas, you cannot lose!

EuropeanSwallow

Forum Donor
Availability, a bit better measurements, and the longer warranty, tipped the scales for the 887 to me.
Not to mention the far lusher sound, vastly wider sound stage, and three dimensional positioning. (JK of course)

Veils are lifted? ;-)

EuropeanSwallow

Forum Donor
Well, I was considering the Benchmark HPA-4 which adds the preamp, more elaborate volume control, $100 metal remote control that doubles as a weapon, and the cool, albeit unnecessary, touch-screen interface, but I only have the one source atm and I can use my Matrix X-Sabre MQA DAC's remote control to conveniently control the volume at my chair.

I've owned a couple of Benchmark DACs in the past 20 years and all have been exemplary in measured performance, quality, and reliability (Circa 2003 -at a time when they measured much better than all the uber overpriced TOTL high-end DACS costing many times more). I really do hope they can re-invent themselves with more competitive pricing because after seeing the measurements and hearing both units I'm really hard pressed to pay 8 times the money, but I would pay a fair amount more just because they are made in the USA, and they make a high quality/reliable product with an excellent reputation, warranty, and customer service.

Certain reviewers have stated they can hear more weight and authority in the bass due to the higher output internal psu, but then I remembered that when reviewers see $3K for the HPA4 vs $400 for the 887 their collective brains automatically conjure up subjective reasons to justify the higher price irrespective of the fact that they measure nearly identically.

It's a great time to be a music lover. The sonic value/performance/per dollar spent these days is astoundingly good!

Celty

Pillars

Good choice VeerK. I like the 887 a bit more than the 789, as I owned both. For some reason the 887 seemed a bit more clear/clean in its presentation. At first it sounded bright but this settled down after I ran pink noise through it for days a but still, it seems like the 'faster' amp which really caught me off guard and I had to get used to. I'm using the Topping D70 with HD660S's all balanced connectors.

Disclaimer* I play a lot of Hunt: Showdown which has exceptional audio quality, the difference between the two amps in game was quite obvious, even to the wife. Some will frown on this but I believe there is a sonic difference for sure between the two. This doesn't lead to better/worse however it is to preference. :)

Last edited:

ArtemisXCIX

Good choice VeerK. I like the 887 a bit more than the 789, as I owned both. For some reason the 887 seemed a bit more clear/clean in its presentation. At first it sounded bright but this settled down after I ran pink noise through it for days a but still, it seems like the 'faster' amp which really caught me off guard and I had to get used to. I'm using the Topping D70 with HD660S's all balanced connectors.

Disclaimer* I play a lot of Hunt: Showdown which has exceptional audio quality, the difference between the two amps in game was quite obvious, even to the wife. Some will frown on this but I believe there is a sonic difference for sure between the two. This doesn't lead to better/worse however it is to preference. :)

Oh! Its been awhile since i played Hunt: Showdown. I should give it a shot on my 887 too

Pillars

Oh! Its been awhile since i played Hunt: Showdown. I should give it a shot on my 887 too
The game has been doing exceptionally well. Much better optimization, features and the gameplay is on point currently. The audio quality though is fantastic. It is completely binaural audio.

Aside from the minor sonic differences between the 789 and 887 the overall build quality of the 887 is much better. The volume and gain selector knobs are metal, the chassis is brushed and of higher quality as well. Three year warranty. The faceplate is not a fingerprint magnet like the 789 as well. I suspect Drop will be slashing the price on the 789 soon back to $349. IMO, it should be $300.

ArtemisXCIX

The game has been doing exceptionally well. Much better optimization, features and the gameplay is on point currently. The audio quality though is fantastic. It is completely binaural audio.

Aside from the minor sonic differences between the 789 and 887 the overall build quality of the 887 is much better. The volume and gain selector knobs are metal, the chassis is brushed and of higher quality as well. Three year warranty. The faceplate is not a fingerprint magnet like the 789 as well. I suspect Drop will be slashing the price on the 789 soon back to $349. IMO, it should be $300.

Wait your 887 has metal knobs?

Celty

Yes they are definitely metal.

Top Bottom