• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Veri

Master Contributor
I downloaded a copy of the Massdrop (Drop) THX 789 manual. my 887 should be delivered within the hour. I'll know then If the 789 manual can be used with the 887, I GUESS:confused:
It should. Basically the same functionality and knobs.

Celty

I know they ditched the sweet 887 sticker, I'm sour on that one :(
What you mean yours does not have "887" engraved with gold inlay on it like mine?

Celty

I downloaded a copy of the Massdrop (Drop) THX 789 manual. my 887 should be delivered within the hour. I'll know then If the 789 manual can be used with the 887, I GUESS:confused:
I have not found the manual on the drop website, do you have the URL?

Celty

I agree it should ship with a manual...but...what do you actually need to reference in the manual?
Well, my 887 arrived today! (1 day before tracking had indicated) I hooked up The SU-8 via XLR cables, and that worked, but wanting to compare DAC from my STX soundcard, I then connected that via RCA cables. I could not get any sound. I was trying this and trying that and getting frustrated. Finally I did get it working as well, not even sure why, lol.

strangeskies

Well, my 887 arrived today! (1 day before tracking had indicated) I hooked up The SU-8 via XLR cables, and that worked, but wanting to compare DAC from my STX soundcard, I then connected that via RCA cables. I could not get any sound. I was trying this and trying that and getting frustrated. Finally I did get it working as well, not even sure why, lol.

Like it so far?

Celty

Like it so far?
It's very early to form judgments of course, but so far I like it a great deal. I have the SU-8 on the default settings so far, and am not doing any EQing, with the HD6XX's. I am on SE cables till the Periapt XLR cables for the headphones arrive. At the moment I have the gain on high, and approximately 3/4 volume on the amp. I'm using the volume on the DAC for adjustments (with current tracks SU-8 volume is around 24-26ish). Just experimenting.

Subjective impression, a higher level of revealing or detail than the STX, but will need to do a lot more listening. Certainly very "clean" sounding with strong dynamics.

I'll have to see how the HE4XX's sound as well.

Last edited:

Celty

greyscale

Forum Donor
I called Monoprice tech support and suggested Monoprice post some sort of user guide on the product page for download. May prevent needless damaged returns as well.

wizzman

First thing I did was fix the terrible knob indicators with an x-acto knife and some electrical tape:

IMG_20191120_234920.jpg

Celty

VeerK

Also going to do the volume knob mod until my M500 and it’s digital volume control show up from China, yours looks great @wizzman, I recognized it from Reddit.

A quick word about the 887 + Elex, I’m just stupidly grinning to myself. The 887 is a bottomless pit of power, not a hint of hiss, clipping, or distortion to my ears. Admittedly, I’m coming from a Dayton amp I’ve been using as a stop-gap, but the difference is insane. It feels like I’m extracting every bit of performance out of the Elex.

So happy that I saw the review of this on ASR, finally didn’t have to wait for Drop to get the 789 in stock with its never ending delays. As far as I’m concerned, the 887 finishes off my headphone amp journey, leaving me to focus my wallet on other hobbies.

junk88

I'm guessing that the 1/4 single ended out Would
have the same 119 sinad ?

Veri

Master Contributor
I'm guessing that the 1/4 single ended out Would
have the same 119 sinad ?
come on man the first graph is annotated with 1/4 out. it's literally right there.

Tks

Major Contributor
I just noticed from the pictures that the Monolith THX 787 does not have any vents on top like the 789.
I wonder if it generates less heat?

Heat is probably identical, and as a 789 owner, I can tell you the device generates none that would require vents tbh.. If I could, I'd seal my vents on the 789 to prevent dust falling in there as it's currently doing.

Celty

Heat is probably identical, and as a 789 owner, I can tell you the device generates none that would require vents tbh.. If I could, I'd seal my vents on the 789 to prevent dust falling in there as it's currently doing.
I agree, my 887 is running cool to the touch, not even warm.

Top Bottom