• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

richpjr

Any news on a manual being available yet?

Astonishing that they can ship a product with no manual or at least an online manual. I asked when it would be available as a question on their website and it was deleted - lol.

Pillars

Here's actual pictures of the internals. This is the EXACT layout as the THX 789 with the exception of using OPamp 1612A instead of 1602A. The power supply is even the exact same and from the same manufacturer.

*edit* from what I could see, clarified below additional upgrades were done by manufacturer.

IMG_20191119_143147.jpgIMG_20191119_143139.jpgIMG_20191119_143154.jpgIMG_20191119_143421.jpg

Last edited:

Celty

lambdastorm

MonolithGuy

Audio Company
Just an FYI, for the 887 we upgraded over 50 internal components to increase performance:

5 Opamps – same opamps as 888 to reduce noise

32 Resistors – Upgraded to reduce noise

12 Capacitors – Upgraded to reduce distortion

I'm glad to see there is interest in the unit!

Pillars

Just an FYI, for the 887 we upgraded over 50 internal components to increase performance:

Thanks for clearing that up, though, we're talking 2db difference here in performance. An exceptional design made even better.

ArtemisXCIX

Hope to see the new DACs coming out perform well too. Pretty interested in those especially the Liquid Platinum with AKM4499.

idkwho

Well, I don't have any measuring equipment or expertise, but I can take a stab at a subjective report. I was surprised to find the SU-8 arrived today, so contrary to expectations and tracking information, I have it before the 887!

I do have a planned use for my STX, I have my "gaming" headset - a SteelSeries Arctic Pro with "GameDAC". Though the GameDAC has some nifty features, I was not really impressed with the sound. So I tried the headphones plugged into the STX and wow. It truly was an immediate and dramatic difference.

So the Arctic Pro and the built in microphone will be partnered with the STX when I need the microphone for whatever application or game. BTW, the Arctic Pro on my big head would be very uncomfortable on my ears, so I replaced the stock pads with a set from Wicked Cushions, and it made it far better.

One thing I found with the headphone output of the STX was that there was an audible noise floor when I plugged in my headphones (20 Ohm impedance) however when using the RCA output to the THX 887 it was much cleaner with no hiss/noise. I think the output of the STX may be comparable to the SU-8 (V2) in terms of quality. By the way do you have the SU-8 V2 or V1? I assume the V2.

Let me know your impressions of the SU-8 compared to the STX (both plugged into the THX 887) though Balanced output from the SU-8 will be louder than the RCA of the STX so take that into account.

Celty

One thing I found with the headphone output of the STX was that there was an audible noise floor when I plugged in my headphones (20 Ohm impedance) however when using the RCA output to the THX 887 it was much cleaner with no hiss/noise. I think the output of the STX may be comparable to the SU-8 (V2) in terms of quality. By the way do you have the SU-8 V2 or V1? I assume the V2.

Let me know your impressions of the SU-8 compared to the STX (both plugged into the THX 887) though Balanced output from the SU-8 will be louder than the RCA of the STX so take that into account.

Yes it is a SU-8 (V2). I do plan on hooking up the RCA's to the STX, as well of course through USB to the SU-8. It appears I may not get my XLR headphone cables until next week! So initial listening will be single ended on both headphones.

Celty

Glad to see you are posting here. Please share any information you can, I should have my 887 arriving Thursday. Amirm mentioned in the review:
"The unit I received for testing is the limited production run. I am told it is representative of the retail products as manufacturing ramps up." Do you know if there were any changes made since the limited production run and the most recent run?

lambdastorm

I'm really curious about capacitors making a difference in measurement. The only capacitors I know that have excellent measurements are Nichicon's audio line, most of which measure completely flat from 20-20k. Seeing that you guys didn't use Nichicon, is the capacitor type low ESR?

Pillars

Glad to see you are posting here. Please share any information you can, I should have my 887 arriving Thursday. Amirm mentioned in the review:
"The unit I received for testing is the limited production run. I am told it is representative of the retail products as manufacturing ramps up." Do you know if there were any changes made since the limited production run and the most recent run?
I know they ditched the sweet 887 sticker, I'm sour on that one :(

mkawa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
picking one up as soon as they appear on newegg!

VeerK

Have had the 887 for a few days but I’ve been swamped with work. Finally free today and my new Focal Elex just came in! They make for a very sexy pair, setting everything up right now. Still super odd that the 887 came with no manual, but the velvet pouch is a nice touch.

greyscale

Forum Donor
I downloaded a copy of the Massdrop (Drop) THX 789 manual. my 887 should be delivered within the hour. I'll know then If the 789 manual can be used with the 887, I GUESS:confused:

Top Bottom