• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Got my 887 today.

Hooked with XLR to Sabaj D5, listening to DT177x GO with a balanced cable. Had to listen with volume below 9 o'clock on gain 1. I put an ieMatch inline with the headphones to give me more space on the volume knob. Sounded fine without the ieMatch, but a small bump of the knob would cause drastic increase in volume.
Does d5 have digital volume control for dac out? You may use that i think.
And you can also use unbalanced to half the level.

Celty

Got my 887 today.

Hooked with XLR to Sabaj D5, listening to DT177x GO with a balanced cable. Had to listen with volume below 9 o'clock on gain 1. I put an ieMatch inline with the headphones to give me more space on the volume knob. Sounded fine without the ieMatch, but a small bump of the knob would cause drastic increase in volume.
What is the reason for using the the ieMatch, rather than reducing the volume from the DAC?

Edit: oohps, did not see JohnYang1997's post when typing my question,

jruser

Does d5 have digital volume control for dac out? You may use that i think.
And you can also use unbalanced to half the level.

Yeah, it does, though I like to keep my volume control in the analog domain. I have a different source hooked up the the unbalanced input.

Was really just sharing my experience. It'll be Monday before I get to do much listening. No complaints with the 887 from my first listening session. Replacing an O2 amp in my setup.

NemoReborn

Got my 887 today.

There is a few thing i don’t understand with what u said ...

First using balanced cable with the 1770 !?? The headphone is not balanced internally !? So u using an xlr adapter??? I tough it was not a good idea to do so ...

Next , why would u use that much output for the 177x especially since its only 32 ohm ... the UnBalanced output 1/4 in low gain should be more that enought.... Also you would have way more room for volume adjustment with the Thx’s volume pots...

NemoReborn

32 ohm plugged into xlr should push 6 watts .... 6 freaking watts into a pair of headphones that need 100 Mw to give its best ! Wierd way to go.

T.J. Turner

Blame the people who claim balanced in balanced out sounds 'bettar'.

I can hear a difference, but I wouldn't call it better. Between my Parasound HINT and Schiit Gungnir XLR sounds harsher, and I think the short play in the volume knob between 7 and 9 oclock might be effecting the dynamics.
I don't notice it with my SU-8, SH-8 or THX 887, but I'm sure XLR doesn't sound good in every system.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
First using balanced cable with the 1770 !??

He has the DT177x Massdrop 32 Ohm version. This one, fortunately for balanced fans that are using something like the ED1A 9038S, this version has a 4-pin mini XLR instead of the 3-pin on Beyerdynamics so can be used both SE and balanced unlike the Beyer version.
Would be a wise decision for Beyer to use this in their new models as well or make a DT1770B version.
This would let them sell more headphones.

I agree that using a 6 watt amp connected to a 200mW driver is looking for a mishap to destroy your headphones, could perfectly use the DT177X with the 9038S though.

Last edited:

T.J. Turner

He has the DT177x Massdrop 32 Ohm version. This one, fortunately for balanced fans that are using something like the ED1A 9038S, this version has a 4-pin mini XLR instead of the 3-pin on Beyerdynamics so can be used both SE and balanced unlike the Beyer version.

So that explains why I could never find a balanced cable for my DT-1770 pro. :facepalm:

ArtemisXCIX

Haven't plug it yet, still waiting for my M500 as dac but its looking pretty good and build is pretty solid. Absolutely prefer the aesthetics of the 887 over the 789. No regrets cancelling my 789 for this, won't have even shipped yet if I waited for the 789.

Attachments

• IMG_20191117_180727.jpg
    IMG_20191117_180727.jpg
    1 MB · Views: 266

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
Haven't plug it yet, still waiting for my M500 as dac but its looking pretty good and build is pretty solid. Absolutely prefer the aesthetics of the 887 over the 789. No regrets cancelling my 789 for this, won't have even shipped yet if I waited for the 789.
Holy shit that looks great.

snowsurfer

I think it looks better than the Drop actually, kind of cleaner. Especially with the new Drop logo on the front of the 789...

MediumRare

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Yeah, I have both the 789 and 887.
I like the more contemporary look of the 887.
The 789 looks like a device from the late 70s, and the 889 caught up to the 90s :)
What are the differences in features/menu and sound between them?

Celty

Yeah, I have both the 789 and 887.
I like the more contemporary look of the 887.
The 789 looks like a device from the late 70s, and the 889 caught up to the 90s :)
And what made you purchase both?

Celty

None. Same amp. Different brand
Then you are asserting the measurement variances between the two products in Amir's testing results are due to random manufacturing discrepancies, or testing inconsistencies?

Top Bottom