• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
with all those hi-end hi-fidelity headphone amplifiers I got one question?
If you drive them with a DAC of moderate quality, like the khadas tone board, won't the produced noise from the DAC influence the headphone amp?
so a similar hi-fidelity DAC to drive this amplifier is a necessity.
Is this statement correct?
Distortion is additive. You need one device to be 10 dB better than the other to not have that effect. In that regard, you still benefit from using these amps because they won't add more distortion to the DAC of your choosing.

August

Disappointingly, the start of the sale on the website turned out to be 11/23, even later than 789.:(

maxxevv

Major Contributor
I won't, considering I own two of them... :)

View attachment 33734

The ORIGINAL Pinkies !

Thar sounds quite early. Idk why massdrop and monoprice do the delays.

Because Drop and Monoprice rely on outsourced manufacturing. SMSL are manufacturers themselves. In fact, they started out as OEM factories for other brands as far as I understand of their history.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Distortion is additive. You need one device to be 10 dB better than the other to not have that effect. In that regard, you still benefit from using these amps because they won't add more distortion to the DAC of your choosing.
Don’t forget the distortion from speakers/headphones, which likely is the worst offender in your setup.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
There is also the Little Pinky
Lol....

Perhaps you were not aware why "Pinkies".

The Desert Rats were the Allied forces Long Range Desert Patrol of World War 2 who operated those vehicles in the African desert painted in pink, which were affectionately called Pink Panthers. Aka "Pinkies".

Their history predates the cartoon by more than 25 years.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Wasn't aware but had a hunch looking at Julf's pictures.

Were you aware of Mike's 'little Pinkies' ?
(He is a fan of Pink Floyd hence the naming)

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The Desert Rats were the Allied forces Long Range Desert Patrol of World War 2 who operated those vehicles in the African desert painted in pink, which were affectionately called Pink Panthers. Aka "Pinkies".

To be totally technically accurate, the "Desert Rats" were the whole British 7th Armoured Division, but yes, the pink (and even sky blue) trucks were operated by the Long Range Desert Group (mostly pre-war civilian explorers / desert expedition people) who provided transport for the Special Air Service (SAS) for their raids. The name "Pink Panther" was only adopted for the Land Rover desert patrol vehicles specially converted for the SAS (by Marshalls of Cambridge) for use in Oman against soviet/communist-supported rebels from Yemen (see how history keeps repeating, just like bad pizza) that become operational in 1969 - so the movie was first.

7th_armoured_division_insignia_1944_3000px.png

maxxevv

Major Contributor
According to what I read, the Pinkies were commisioned for conversion from procured LandRovers in 68. When were they put into service exactly, I'm not so sure but the cartoon came out some time in 69.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
According to what I read, the Pinkies were commisioned for conversion from procured LandRovers in 68. When were they put into service exactly, I'm not so sure but the cartoon came out some time in 69.

The Pink Panther cartoon character was first used in the movie that came out in 1963. I have it on a pretty good authority (don't ask, I would have to shoot you :) ) that the vehicles were named after the movie / cartoon character.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Don’t forget the distortion from speakers/headphones, which likely is the worst offender in your setup.
We don't know what distortion they create. If they distort such, so does the measurement mic. Resonances in harmonic region also heavily magnify distortion readings for headphones and even speakers.

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Do you use to come to Normandy for the celebration in May?

Sometimes, but Normandy is really for WWII vehicles. Done a bunch of military shows, especially in the UK, that have a wider time period focus.

escalibur

Sometimes, but Normandy is really for WWII vehicles. Done a bunch of military shows, especially in the UK, that have a wider time period focus.
Arent we a bit offtopic here are we? :)

Top Bottom