• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Vallenium

Yes to both, both happen to my unit too, but channel imbalance disapears early on, maybe at 7 o clock.
Yeah I approximated so it's around there not that I can see the mark well on the volume pot at all. Just glad to hear I don't have to warranty or return it. Thanks!

I can't find a manual for this amp anywhere?

What do the 'PASS' rcs's do on the back of the amp?, is it the same as a fixed lineout?

cheapmessiah

I can't find a manual for this amp anywhere?

What do the 'PASS' rcs's do on the back of the amp?, is it the same as a fixed lineout?
There is no manual, yeah, it's not ideal.

Pass is only a passthrough, and it only works from RCA in to RCA out, it won't pass balanced to RCA.

There is no manual, yeah, it's not ideal.

Pass is only a passthrough, and it only works from RCA in to RCA out, it won't pass balanced to RCA.

Is it effected by the volume control or headphones being plugged in/out?

In an ideal world I'd like a dac connected to the 887, and then pass it through to my stereo amplifier that powers my passive speakers.

cheapmessiah

Is it effected by the volume control or headphones being plugged in/out?

In an ideal world I'd like a dac connected to the 887, and then pass it through to my stereo amplifier that powers my passive speakers.
No, it has no preamp feature, pure passthrough.

Taewoo12

Rca in vs xlr in?
2vrms vs 4vrms
Can i get more volume/juice if I use a balanced dac outputting 4vrms+

Or is there no benefits of using the balance in?

cheapmessiah

Rca in vs xlr in?
2vrms vs 4vrms
Can i get more volume/juice if I use a balanced dac outputting 4vrms+

Or is there no benefits of using the balance in?
Maximum volume you can get is 4vrm input with -7db gain from the DAC.

Taewoo12

Maximum volume you can get is 4vrm input with -7db gain from the DAC.
(-7db)? Not 0db or (+)db? And not (-7 because it decrease volume?? Im confused.

887 distorts with me @ 2vrms in with -5.5db preamp

+Low shelf 105hz Q=0.71 +5.5db

He6se v2

dreadknot

Forum Donor
do you think the 887 is better compared to my schiit magnius

its got near same power output with more ohm options an near same sinad in specs is the 887 better for the slight diff in the spec performance numbers

besides the four gain options which i do like vs the magnius two which are either 0db or 14db an some times i think a sweet-spot like 6db gain bump is all need

Gain 0.66x , 2.0x, 6.6x (‑4, +6, +16 dB)

so with the pro code shave an the basic ship&tx would likely level near same in cost to the magnius is this the better grab for my 2nd headphone setup

Jds81

do you think the 887 is better compared to my schiit magnius

its got near same power output with more ohm options an near same sinad in specs is the 887 better for the slight diff in the spec performance numbers

besides the four gain options which i do like vs the magnius two which are either 0db or 14db an some times i think a sweet-spot like 6db gain bump is all need

Gain 0.66x , 2.0x, 6.6x (‑4, +6, +16 dB)

so with the pro code shave an the basic ship&tx would likely level near same in cost to the magnius is this the better grab for my 2nd headphone setup
I cannot say which is better, but for me, the price compelled me to get the 887 ($170 but code i used is expired today). These were my two top contenders at the price. Hard to see either being a bad choice in use.

Celty

If I did not already have one, I would certainly order at that price, really a fantastic deal, so congrats to all who acquire one.

madmalkav

I was trying to get a Schiit Magnius in Europe but it is absolutely impossible, the 887 is in offer on Monoprice EU site, but the lack of balanced outs like the Magnius throws me a little off, I could really use those in the future. I either discard buying a DAC and go for a MOTU M4 or something similar (if I get to confirm the two set of balanced outputs works OK in Linux) or use something like a Mackie Big Knob or something like that. Opinion about either of those options?

Last edited:

ampguy

There are often new codes when one Monoprice code expires, one that may work today is "HOT" where the "SMORE" is now expired. It seems like a deal at $170, but I'd need to pair with a balanced DAC that has either simultaneous or pass through balanced out, so I'm still considering. I have 2 balanced DACs, but none with pass through yet, and the pops / build quality on the SMSL D6 at $170 is still holding me off from getting that one. Since this model is now 2+ years old, it is surprising it hasn't been highly surpassed in specs (even if inaudible...) by other Drop, Topping, or SMSL, etc. products? Or perhaps it has been?

cheapmessiah

There are often new codes when one Monoprice code expires, one that may work today is "HOT" where the "SMORE" is now expired. It seems like a deal at $170, but I'd need to pair with a balanced DAC that has either simultaneous or pass through balanced out, so I'm still considering. I have 2 balanced DACs, but none with pass through yet, and the pops / build quality on the SMSL D6 at $170 is still holding me off from getting that one. Since this model is now 2+ years old, it is surprising it hasn't been highly surpassed in specs (even if inaudible...) by other Drop, Topping, or SMSL, etc. products? Or perhaps it has been?

It was a very well designed amp, the A90 did "surpass" it, but unless you have the very few headphones that can use the power difference between both amps, there was no objective reason to choose the A90 over it.

As for pass through, you can get a 1-in-3-out XLR splitter from AliExpress
https://a.aliexpress.com/_vYfhat to have the same function, or you can use a SE dac if you have no ground loop problems, since the amp's max power output is reached with 2v.

Top Bottom