• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Labjr

Major Contributor
If nothing else, the Monolith brings some competition. Maybe on price too. Hopefully they'll have a sale during the holidays. And other manufacturers should take notice. Put up your best engineering at a competitive price.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
If nothing else, the Monolith brings some competition. Maybe on price too. Hopefully they'll have a sale during the holidays. And other manufacturers should take notice. Put up your best engineering at a competitive price.
I only wish them have ample supply. Not like massdrop.

AresHarvest

Wow. For two reasons:
  1. Great performance
  2. All the 789 buyer's remorse in this thread
If you bought a 789, you're good to go. Why would you sweat now? I have two of them, and they're just as good today as they were when I bought them.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
This was my first thought upon seeing this - does it have true balanced operation throughout? I guess it really doesn't matter for my use, but I'm curious.
No. Architecturally it is similar to THX 789. And no, it doesn't matter. All we need for balance configuration is the input to the unit to guard against ground currents (mains hum). Carrying that scheme internally is something else and not important.

AndrewDavis

Any adequate Balanced DAC in similar price level for pairing ?
The best once from Amir's SINAD list cost over 1k USD :-(

The Topping D70 is a great match. Read the review- it's much better than it's SINAD alone shows- it's sort of the case study for the limitations of SINAD. It also doesn't require a 30 minute warm up to reach peak performance like the Sabaj D5 (which is a great unit , just a comparison).

Last edited:

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
789 is fully differential, even if some sections aren't truly balanced. There are zero drawbacks to this, per my understanding, this method has the same CMRR as you would expect from a "symmetrical" balanced signal.
789 is fully differential, even if some sections aren't truly balanced. There are zero drawbacks to this, per my understanding, this method has the same CMRR as you would expect from a "symmetrical" balanced signal.

If some part of the signal path isn't truly balanced, then it's not fully differential.

Grattle

The Topping D70 is a great match. Read the review- it's much better than it's SINAD alone shows- it's sort of the case study for the limitations of SINAD. It also doesn't require a 30 minute warm up to reach peak performance like the Sabaj D5 (which is a great unit , just a comparison).

Monoprice is also releasing 2 new dacs:

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38966

https://www.monoprice.com/product?p_id=38965

The 2nd looks like it may be a real winner at just $99 with the AKM 4493.

Edit: ...and a proper usb connection type. Micro usb is awful. I don't have any usb-c devices, so I can't speak to their durability and connection stability.

PuX

I'd still take the Massdrop 789. Even if it's a minor issue, it does not have channel imbalance at different volumes.

DeepSpace57

everyone here seems to compare this to 789. But, output volts are different. Could you @amirm have a quick SINAD test for 789 at medium gain ? I believe this might allow us to see clearly the real performance comparison between the both devices.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you @amirm have a quick SINAD test for 789 at medium gain ? I believe this might allow us to see clearly the real performance comparison between the both devices.
@amirm doesn't have the 789 anymore... Someone would have to loan another unit, and I'm not sure it is relevant at this point. Whatever SINAD is 117 or 119, both units are perfectly transparent and I see no point to compare in the inaudible realm.

Wow. For two reasons:
  1. Great performance
  2. All the 789 buyer's remorse in this thread
If you bought a 789, you're good to go. Why would you sweat now? I have two of them, and they're just as good today as they were when I bought them.
You said it all.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
I wonder if Monoprice will release a balanced DAC to complement 887...
There are some planned but not ready yet. This is their press release:

-----

Amongst various offerings, Monoprice will highlight the following products at CEDIA this year:

• Monolith Tower Speakers
o Engineered to deliver the highest level of accuracy and reproduce the finest dynamics of home theater soundtracks and music. Each speaker is planned for THX Certification and features four 6 ½” woofers, and a silk dome tweeter and dome mid-range.
o Without Atmos ($849.99/each)
o With an up firing Atmos enabled driver ($999.99/each)

• Monolith M-215 Dual 15" Subwoofer ($2,499.99)
o Pending THX Certification, the Monolith subwoofer builds on the outstanding reputation of the Monolith subwoofer line up. It sets the standard for bass output, low distortion, and unleashes chest thumping and pant leg vibrating bass, while also having the ability to convey and articulate the subtle nuances of music.

• Monolith Home Theater Processor ($3,999.99)
o A 16-channel processor engineered to deliver a higher level of sound. This processor boasts the most modern technology in multichannel surround sound with Dolby Atmos and DTS: X decoding, advanced room correction with Dirac Live, the latest generation AKM4493 DACs, and plenty of inputs for all sources. Coming Winter 2019.

• Monolith Liquid Gold Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC by Alex Cavalli ($999.99)
o A smaller version of the Cavalli Audio’s Liquid Gold Amp, The Liquid Gold X is a fully balanced, differential front-end, solid state amplifier. The Liquid Gold also introduces Monoprice’s new MCU based products with computerized control of all features – including turn on sequencing and DC offset detection.

• Monolith Liquid Platinum DAC by Alex Cavalli ($499.99)
o The Liquid Platinum Balanced DAC will bring out the best in any hi-res track or CD recording. Utilizing an AKM4499 chipset and featuring single ended and balanced analog XLR inputs, along with USB, optical, and coaxial digital inputs, this product is the perfect component to pair with a headphone amplifier for an end game head-fi experience.

• Monolith Liquid Spark DAC by Alex Cavalli ($99.99)
o The Monolith Liquid Spark DAC utilizes an AKM4493 chipset and brings massive performance for a very low cost, and will substantially improve sound from any computer, smartphone, or tablet. Pair this with the Liquid Spark amplifier, and you have the makings of an exceptional head-fi experience.

• Monolith Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA Technology ($399.99)
o THX Achromatic Audio Amplifier (THX AAA™) in 887 configuration promises high fidelity audio with infinitesimally low levels of noise and distortion. Capable of powering even the most demanding headphone to deliver an audio experience like no other.

• Monolith M1570 Balanced Planar Headphone ($599.99)
o Features a 106mm planar driver, a wide padded headband, 4 pin balanced connectors and an open back design that delivers uncompromising audio performance, exceptional transient response, and a holistic soundstage.

• Monolith M1070 Planar Headphone ($399.99)
o Features a 106mm planar driver, wide padded headband, 2.5mm connectors and an open back design that produces a stunning aural landscape and resolves minute sonic detail. Spectacular imaging, low distortion, and perfectly balanced sound.

• Monolith M570 Planar Headphone ($299.99)
o Features a 97*76mm planar magnetic driver enclosed in gorgeous wood, open back housing, and plush, padded headband and earcups for comfortable listening. With an extended soundstage, lush, rich sound, and excellent build quality, the Monolith M570 brings a massive price to performance ratio to the headphone market.

• Monolith M350 In Ear Planar Earphone ($149.99)
o Combines the transparent sound of a planar driver in a small, comfortable in ear enclosure for best in class sound. With low distortion, fantastic bass response, and a wide soundstage, the Monolith M350 sets the bar for sound quality while on the go.

Timbo2

I'd still take the Massdrop 789. Even if it's a minor issue, it does not have channel imbalance at different volumes.

I believe the volume is an analog design on both units. I'd imagine it's going to be a matter of luck on just how big the channel imbalance on both units is with your specific example.

VintageFlanker

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Monolith Liquid Platinum DAC by Alex Cavalli ($499.99)
o The Liquid Platinum Balanced DAC will bring out the best in any hi-res track or CD recording. Utilizing an AKM4499 chipset and featuring single ended and balanced analog XLR inputs, along with USB, optical, and coaxial digital inputs, this product is the perfect component to pair with a headphone amplifier for an end game head-fi experience.
Hum... Interesting. First AK4499 implementation to date?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm doesn't have the 789 anymore.
I do actually. I bought one. :) Running out to do a few things. Will be back later today and perform more measurements.....

Thomas savage

Grand Contributor
The Watchman
Forum Donor
There are some planned but not ready yet. This is their press release:

-----

Amongst various offerings, Monoprice will highlight the following products at CEDIA this year:

• Monolith Tower Speakers
o Engineered to deliver the highest level of accuracy and reproduce the finest dynamics of home theater soundtracks and music. Each speaker is planned for THX Certification and features four 6 ½” woofers, and a silk dome tweeter and dome mid-range.
o Without Atmos ($849.99/each)
o With an up firing Atmos enabled driver ($999.99/each)

• Monolith M-215 Dual 15" Subwoofer ($2,499.99)
o Pending THX Certification, the Monolith subwoofer builds on the outstanding reputation of the Monolith subwoofer line up. It sets the standard for bass output, low distortion, and unleashes chest thumping and pant leg vibrating bass, while also having the ability to convey and articulate the subtle nuances of music.

• Monolith Home Theater Processor ($3,999.99)
o A 16-channel processor engineered to deliver a higher level of sound. This processor boasts the most modern technology in multichannel surround sound with Dolby Atmos and DTS: X decoding, advanced room correction with Dirac Live, the latest generation AKM4493 DACs, and plenty of inputs for all sources. Coming Winter 2019.

• Monolith Liquid Gold Balanced Headphone Amplifier and DAC by Alex Cavalli ($999.99)
o A smaller version of the Cavalli Audio’s Liquid Gold Amp, The Liquid Gold X is a fully balanced, differential front-end, solid state amplifier. The Liquid Gold also introduces Monoprice’s new MCU based products with computerized control of all features – including turn on sequencing and DC offset detection.

• Monolith Liquid Platinum DAC by Alex Cavalli ($499.99)

• Monolith Liquid Spark DAC by Alex Cavalli ($99.99)
o The Monolith Liquid Spark DAC utilizes an AKM4493 chipset and brings massive performance for a very low cost, and will substantially improve sound from any computer, smartphone, or tablet. Pair this with the Liquid Spark amplifier, and you have the makings of an exceptional head-fi experience.

• Monolith Balanced Headphone Amplifier featuring THX AAA Technology ($399.99)
o THX Achromatic Audio Amplifier (THX AAA™) in 887 configuration promises high fidelity audio with infinitesimally low levels of noise and distortion. Capable of powering even the most demanding headphone to deliver an audio experience like no other.

• Monolith M1570 Balanced Planar Headphone ($599.99)
o Features a 106mm planar driver, a wide padded headband, 4 pin balanced connectors and an open back design that delivers uncompromising audio performance, exceptional transient response, and a holistic soundstage.

• Monolith M1070 Planar Headphone ($399.99)
o Features a 106mm planar driver, wide padded headband, 2.5mm connectors and an open back design that produces a stunning aural landscape and resolves minute sonic detail. Spectacular imaging, low distortion, and perfectly balanced sound.

• Monolith M570 Planar Headphone ($299.99)
o Features a 97*76mm planar magnetic driver enclosed in gorgeous wood, open back housing, and plush, padded headband and earcups for comfortable listening. With an extended soundstage, lush, rich sound, and excellent build quality, the Monolith M570 brings a massive price to performance ratio to the headphone market.

• Monolith M350 In Ear Planar Earphone ($149.99)
o Combines the transparent sound of a planar driver in a small, comfortable in ear enclosure for best in class sound. With low distortion, fantastic bass response, and a wide soundstage, the Monolith M350 sets the bar for sound quality while on the go.
Can I look forward to monoprice cheques as well as topping cheques?

pos

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Great review, thank you!
@amirm, does this unit use the same on/off push button logic as the 789?
I am tired of having to manually turn my two 789s (that run the compression drivers in my system) on when I turn the switch on to power my amps/dsps/dacs...

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Now I hope Topping will release an excellent DX7 pro soon to match it.

Top Bottom