• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Masterxyr

I hope you’ll enjoy it as much as I do! The ordering and shipment was a breeze by the way!

One weird thing I noticed, there appears to be a tiiiiiiiiny little hum only when the unit is turned off. Anyone noticed? How’s that possible anyway?
can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait can't wait hehehee :)
I'm sure I'll enjoy it plenty. Upgrading from a Fiio K5 Pro

dpippel

The hum is there all the time when the device is off. When I touch the device however, it stops. It feels as if there’s a tiny bit of electricity on the casing too.
Hmmm. No hum or electrical feel on the case on mine. Perhaps you have a grounding problem or a defective unit.

ArchitectOfFortune

Hmmm. No hum or electrical feel on the case on mine. Perhaps you have a grounding problem or a defective unit.
Dammit I got the humming when turned off aswell but this is the only time I‘ve found where this has been reported. Is this an issue with the newer models? Can some more people chime in on whether they have this?

sjeesjie

Look it’s not even that much of a problem. I’ve got lots of audio gear that has a little bit of leakage. No big deal. I just found it strange that the hum is there when switched off and not when switched on.

Celty

Mine has always been dead silent on or off.

tortoise

Sorry if this has been addressed before, but does anyone else hear a little noise when changing the volume? It usually happens between 10 and 2 o'clock. It doesn't always happen, but frequently enough to be noticed. Other than that, the unit is completely silent, but that little noise when changing volume does happen.

trl

Major Contributor
King of Mods
I wonder if this hiss could be related to the DC-output across potentiometer pins. I guess the circuit is pretty similar with the one found inside THX-789, so this headamp should manifest this hiss as well. Let's see what headamp owners have to say, maybe it's only a singular case after all.

dsnyder0cnn

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I currently own the 789, it has some odd things about it. Well one thing really, I get static in the volume pot with sensitive headphones sometimes. I noticed it does it when I have other headphone amps on. I currently have a PS audio filter that does help remove dirty power.

I would love to see Amirm do a review of some power cables and how they effect the tests he does.

However, I am wondering if I should pickup the 887 because its an overall better amp.

I'm following-up on an old post, but my THX AAA 789 has started exhibiting quite a bit of static in the volume pot as well, and the problem only seems to be getting worse. Working the volume seems to reduce it, but the effect of this temporary fix is not lasting. I too have been eyeing the Monolith THX AAA 887, especially given the current $249.99 sale (less than what I paid for my 789).

I'm curious to know if you went with the 887 or if any 887 owners have experienced a similar noisy pot issue. If the 887 is more resilient in this regard, that is probably my next move. I love everything about the THX AAA 789, but the static I hear when making volume adjustments is becoming increasingly disconcerting. Thanks.

mackat

Forum Donor
I'm following-up on an old post, but my THX AAA 789 has started exhibiting quite a bit of static in the volume pot as well, and the problem only seems to be getting worse. Working the volume seems to reduce it, but the effect of this temporary fix is not lasting. I too have been eyeing the Monolith THX AAA 887, especially given the current $249.99 sale (less than what I paid for my 789).

I'm curious to know if you went with the 887 or if any 887 owners have experienced a similar noisy pot issue. If the 887 is more resilient in this regard, that is probably my next move. I love everything about the THX AAA 789, but the static I hear when making volume adjustments is becoming increasingly disconcerting. Thanks.
I have a Monolith 887 and it also started to exhibit quite a bit of static in the volume pot. I took its outer case off and sprayed some Deoxit in there, and voilà, no more static. I just think these amps don’t use great quality volume pots. The good thing is that, with some Deoxit, it is resolvable.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And Monoprice has it on for $249. Is there a recommendation for headphones?

dsnyder0cnn

And Monoprice has it on for $249. Is there a recommendation for headphones?
Are you asking which headphones to pair with the 887? if so, that's both impossible and easy to answer. Easy, because the 887 can drive nearly any headphone with authority. Impossible, because there are so many compatible options. Headphone selection involves many factors, including fit, weight, type, cable options and so forth.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Agreed. Mine opened up nicely after I added balanced cables. Apart from more volume, I was not expecting any differences. Not expensive.

NewFantasia 4-pin XLR Balanced... https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07Z4M1BM9?ref=ppx_pop_mob_ap_share

I ordered those cables (terminated for Monoprice 1060C). They are horrible, just touching them transmits noises to the headphones mechanically. I decided to purchase some Sommer Cable star quad and 2-pole mini microphone cable and terminated my cables myself with 4-pin XLRs and 2mm jacks (Sommer Cable Cicada 4 and 2 pole cables). Much better.

dsnyder0cnn

I ordered those cables (terminated for Monoprice 1060C). They are horrible, just touching them transmits noises to the headphones mechanically. I decided to purchase some Sommer Cable star quad and 2-pole mini microphone cable and terminated my cables myself with 4-pin XLRs and 2mm jacks (Sommer Cable Cicada 4 and 2 pole cables). Much better.
Yeah. A few other folks have complained about microphonics, but I have not had any issues. Of course, I don't use them for jogging; I tend to sit still while listening to music. :)

mocenigo

Major Contributor
Yeah. A few other folks have complained about microphonics, but I have not had any issues. Of course, I don't use them for jogging; I tend to sit still while listening to music. :)
I used them while sitting. The slightest movement was impossible. Went back in a day.

platimn

Do these have an automatic shut off? I just received mine and it turned off by itself after a while when I wasn't looking. Now I am wondering if I have a power issue on the AC line.

dsnyder0cnn

Do these have an automatic shut off? I just received mine and it turned off by itself after a while when I wasn't looking. Now I am wondering if I have a power issue on the AC line.
Yes. But it can be disabled using a switch on the back.

GimeDsp

Just a heads up. Looks like it's on sale for really cheap now.

I did compare this to another HP amp (class D) and with s650 I could tell a difference. With other cans I couldn't.
Test was volume matched with a switch box.

Last edited:
Top Bottom