• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Ceburaska

Forum Donor
" it is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Monolith THX AAA Balanced headphone amplifier. It delighted me to see a company dedicated to absolute excellence and full transparency to our sources and content. This is a type of product you buy once and you are done. "

My THX AAA 789 is set to arrive on Thursday and now I'm contemplating slitting my wrists. :(
A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
Especially when the differences are likely inaudible.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
o_OThe recent good things are a bit too much, I am a little stunned.O_O
You and me both. DACs and amps at 120+ dB SINAD. We live in golden era of audio when it comes to DACs and headphone amps. And to some extent, power amplifiers.

pwjazz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Indeed. I am tired of recommending the Massdrop THX and then be told people can't get them. Maybe competition will also force them to increase volume.

Excellent results! Looking at those charts, I still feel good about my Atom. For single ended it's all the amp I'll ever need, it costs 1/4 of this and availability is no issue.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

August

Is there a possibility: he put the 789 pcb into the new box of Monoprice:p

Reactions: g29

nemesisrobot

Forum Donor
Incredible! Nice job Monoprice!

The way I see it, there's no reason anyone should get the Massdrop over this, especially if Monoprice can keep to the 10/27 release date (I recall the 788 being delayed), as I believe any orders placed now for the Massdrop 789 unit won't ship until November.

August

Shouldn't be the opposite?! :rolleyes:

Because their button position and rear panel interface position are exactly the same, it is suspected to be a measurement error or a small version modification. They are very similar anyway.

AnalogDE

Forum Donor
" it is my absolute pleasure to recommend the Monolith THX AAA Balanced headphone amplifier. It delighted me to see a company dedicated to absolute excellence and full transparency to our sources and content. This is a type of product you buy once and you are done. "

My THX AAA 789 is set to arrive on Thursday and now I'm contemplating slitting my wrists. :(

Chill man, it’s just a headphone amp :)

soundwave76

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
This looks to be an awesome product, however... now that I have found Stax head... err 'earspeakers', all normal headphones don't really interest me at all anymore. :) I do wish that ASR or somebody would measure electrostat amps as well.

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Was the channel imbalance test done in high gain? Because pretty much only 40 dB of usable reduction seems pretty bad, not to mention the imbalance early on. @amirm Do you know what the different gain settings are, is it like the THX 789 (-10, 0, 10) dB in single ended mode? Also could you please measure the residual noise level like in the HPA 4 test?

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Was the channel imbalance test done in high gain? Because pretty much only 40 dB of usable reduction seems pretty bad, not to mention the imbalance early on. @amirm Do you know what the different gain settings are, is it like the THX 789 (-10, 0, 10) dB in single ended mode? Also could you please measure the residual noise level like in the HPA 4 test?
Going to sleep. Will do tomorrow....

deafenears

Forum Donor
Monoprice usually has once or twice a year sales so could probably get this lower than the Massdrop/Drop THX 789.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You and me both. DACs and amps at 120+ dB SINAD. We live in golden era of audio when it comes to DACs and headphone amps. And to some extent, power amplifiers.
Aside from Benchmark, don't know of any closing in on the 120 SINAD class yet. And we need one for l.t. $1000 USD before we can talk about a golden age on that one.
You should have given us a sign that you were being sarcastic. :)
;D

Veri

Master Contributor
Wow so slightly less noisy than even the Massdrop THX amp. My only concern was that you tested the previous THX amps at 5.8V output at high gain rather than 4V output on medium gain on this THX 887 amp (For historical reason, I am running high power headphone amps at 5.8 volts output using XLR input at 4 volts).

Is it a fair comparison this way?

Top Bottom