• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX 887 Balance Headphone Amp: New Champ?

Nango

Major Contributor
Or the single ended common returnwire in the different headphone cables is of unusually high resistance. :cool:

Cabling is btw 8-cores pure silver (Lavri) terminated at XLR-3p. I guess at the end the involving sound may come from the cables :D ....... it is like it is.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Cables have no sound ;)

Silver for instance cannot possibly favor any frequency band (electrically) which would be a requisite for 'something' to become audible.
It just has a lower resistance for all frequencies compared to copper (same diameter, shape conductor).
Skin effect is not of any relevance either.

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Only if you prefer the looks of the 887

escalibur

hmmm,should i cancell my 789 pre-order and get a 887 ?:facepalm:
I would cancel it also tue to that 887 will probably 'destroy' 789's second hand value.

ayane

Forum Donor
Personally I think the 6dB level difference is more likely to be the cause of the subjective found differences.
I forget that people don't even level-match these things in their sighted comparisons. I have too much faith in people, lol. Of course, louder = better.

I have to say your technical knowledge in these matters is unusually high for someone with your work background.
Ouch! That's quite a backhanded compliment! Let's just say I'm *really* into the hobby =P

Shane D

Forum Donor

Rem

Unless you want your ears bleed, easily.
Thanks! I thought so, a lot of people seem to say only speaker amps can do it and you need 8 watts at 50 ohms. I doubt I could find something with low OI and decent measurements beyond this though.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Well.. the HE6 is 90dB @1V which is extremely inefficient, actually one of the most inefficient headphones around.
When you want to play impressively loud with good DR music for short durations you will need to reach 115dB peaks (not earbleeding loud but you wan't to dial back after 10 seconds or so)
To reach this you need 18V.
This actually is 6.5W peak power !
When using a speaker amp that will reach this it must be 40W in 8 Ohm or 80W in 4 Ohm.

When you want it to play at realistic (comfortably loud) levels, and the HE6 is truly a master at this, you will need to reach 105dB peak.
This listening level you can keep up for 1 or 2 entire songs.
For this you need 6V = 0.7W
A Monolith /789/Atom won't have trouble reaching this.

A low output impedance is not needed for the HE6.

Svperstar

If you are using an unbalanced dac can you connect that to the 887 and use the balanced outs?

Rem

Oh yeah, if you do use a unbalanced dac would the balance output be limited in power by a lot?

Schackmannen

Forum Donor
Oh yeah, if you do use a unbalanced dac would the balance output be limited in power by a lot?
If it's like the THX 789 then you will get maximum output in high gain with a 2 V input so unbalanced or balanced input shouldn't matter in terms of maximum output power.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I forget that people don't even level-match these things in their sighted comparisons. I have too much faith in people, lol. Of course, louder = better.

Ouch! That's quite a backhanded compliment! Let's just say I'm *really* into the hobby =P

Reminds me of the 'quant jock' / 'turbo poet' division in graduate school... There were very few of us without engineering undergrad degrees trying to get up to speed on some heavy math, and between fits of laughter at times, the quant jocks tended to be very patient with us as we climbed the learning curve. It was an interesting mix of people.

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
It's an interesting article. Ignoring the primary purposes of the investigation and article, we can apply some of the concepts that relate. It elucidates some of the limitations of current human hearing algorithms. I think these algorithms will get better and better as software and AI tech advance. It also brings to light the fact that the physical structure of the human ear itself is something that is tough to model.
Here is some food for thought: even if we were to build a form of AI that replicates human hearing perfectly, and the machine has replicated human intelligence, and it is hard AI to the point where the machine actually experiences what it is like to hear a sound or an entire song- would we be able to use software to replicate whether the AI "enjoys" one song over another, or one pair of headphones over another--would we be able to measure this enjoyment? Maybe. We would definitely have access to a substantial amount of more physical facts about what it is that makes one mind's processing of a sound more enjoyable to them vs to another mind. I don't think we would have a complete description though. We would still be left with non-physical phenomena that are irreducible to physical facts. What the subjective experience is actually like when you listen to one pair of headphones vs another. You might be able to replicate heuristics that the mind uses to draw subjective conclusions. But that still isn't enough to actually have access to another person's 1st hand personal subjective experience. To bring things back to present reality, at this point in time we still only have elementary auditory processing human brain algorithms, and most of this tech still hasn't even been applied to mainstream audio analysis machines, which are limited to a fairly small number of measurements, relating to distortion and many other things that people probably don't actually take into account when they judge one piece of equipment vs. another.
But it doesn't really matter how an ear works to judge sound accuracy, nor does it matter if every human on earth senses sound differently.
Sound is a fluctuation in air pressure. If we accurately reproduce the air pressure fluctuations then every method of hearing will sense accurately reproduced air pressure fluctuations.

GrimSurfer

Major Contributor
Top Bottom