• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith THX-365T Mini Tower review by Erin

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DSC03282.JPG

CEA2034 -- Monolith THX-365T.png
Early Reflections.png
Estimated In-Room Response.png
SPL Horizontal.png
Monolith THX-365T Horizontal Contour Plot (Normalized).png
SPL Vertical.png
Monolith THX-365T Vertical Contour Plot (Normalized).png
Monoprice Monolith THX-365T_360_Horizontal_Polar.png
Monoprice Monolith THX-365T_360_Vertical_Polar.png
Monolith THX-365T Impedance.png
Monoprice Monolith THX-365T FR_Linearity.png
Monolith THX-365T Group Delay.png
Monolith THX-365T Harmonic Distortion (86dB @ 1m).png
Monolith THX-365T Step Response.png
Monolith THX-365T Harmonic Distortion (96dB @ 1m).png
Monoprice Monolith THX-365T_Compression.png

Parting / Random Thoughts​

As stated in the Foreword, this written review is purposely a cliff’s notes version. For details about the performance (objectively and subjectively) please watch the YouTube video. But a few notes:

• Mid-High frequency sounds boosted; sometimes sounding ‘brittle’ or ‘sharp’. Notably there is sibilance in the upper octaves but also I noticed a peaking in the 2-4kHz region on various tracks. Looking at the estimated in-room response backs up what I heard pretty readily.
  • “Soft” on the midbass. Looking at the data I see a bump around 110-120Hz but a rolloff below this with an F3 = 84Hz.
  • I noted that in my listening I heard resonance. I thought this was in the 200Hz region but I see no signs of this. Looking at the data I see the bump around 110Hz (mentioned above) and wonder if that’s what I was hearing. The bump indicates a mild-Q from what is possibly a slightly-undersized enclosure. Based on my experience, I’m tempted to say this is more likely the culprit of the resonance I heard. Though, it could have very well been a room mode.
  • Tons of SPL. The compression data shows a similar issue as the center channel version (reviewed here).
Given the overall price, I don’t know that my qualms are dealbreakers, per se. But they are definitely audible anomalies that I feel are worth pointing out to would-be consumers. In my opinion, EQ is necessary with this speaker to smooth the tonal balance and luckily, other than the 1kHz region, this speaker should take well to EQ. Ceiling absorption and carpeting on the floor would be one way to help remedy this due to the narrowing of the two midbass drivers meeting the midrange where the midrange is now wide in directivity at this region (see: Early Reflections graphic). Though, this is anecdotal and your results may vary.

Source: https://www.erinsaudiocorner.com/loudspeakers/monoprice_monolith_thx_365t/

Last edited:

Shazb0t

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not loving the compression results.

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Well... Ummm... The directivity is nice-ish!

dfuller

Major Contributor
Oh... that's... pretty terrible...

Ringwraith

Surprising that the horizontal directivity of the 365T looks worse than the charts posted by Erin for the 365C, even with vertically arranged drivers

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
This thing is just the 365C turned over. Unfortunately, while the 365C is good, mainly because cheap center speakers are all bad, this isn't competitive with normal design floorstanders or bookshelves IMO. I'd much rather have the Emotiva T2+ for example.

Top Bottom