• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith T6 measurements and questions

roci_big_ear

Monoprice had the sitewide 15% sale 2 weekends ago and I decided to take the plunge. The T6 towers were highly rated on the site and well reviewed by Audioholics, so seemed like a great deal. I ordered the full home cinema set!

Anxiously I unpacked the front tower speaker first, placed it by the TV stands and played some music through my 200W/ch Yamaha AVR. Right away, the sound seemed a bit boomy and dull. For reference, the living room is somewhat large and one space with the kitchen.

monoprice t6 setup.jpg

Note its big box behind. The mic is at sitting ear level (on a couple of cushions).

I had my trusty (and modded) Behringer B2031A next to it for A/B comparison. The B2031A immediately sounded light and airy with superior detail.

Naturally, the next step was to measure the response:
living room speakers t6.png

And voila, the boominess is from +10 dB in room response around 60-100 Hz and the dullness is from the -5 dB dip 8-10 kHz. (I can't hear above ~13 kHz)

Here is the above plot with some more speakers for comparison:
living room speakers 3.png

Both studio monitors had a more controlled and deeper bass. Outside of the infamous JBL 306P crossover dip, the mid and high ranges were also better. There is an obvious room anti-node at 70 Hz and node at 35 Hz, sadly killing the deep bass.

So now I am torn what to do. Do I return these big heavy boxes to Monoprice or keep them? I'd have to make multiple trips to the post office, the boxes are huge and won't fit in my car at once. Return shipping probably would cost quite a bit. I haven't opened the rest of the speakers.

I've been entertaining the idea of buying a set of 3 or even 5 Behringers. They are not only cheaper but sound better to my ear. The only downside is that I'd have to recalibrate them since the factory calibration is terrible (as can be seen in my other post).

What are your thoughts?

Yasuo

Cheaper and better, it's obvious :)

Top Bottom