• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum Headphone Amp (Alex Cavalli) is out today

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
The thing that strikes me most about the Liquid Platinum is the "out of head" experience it gives you. The 789 and other amps I have, comparatively, don't have the sense of space/width that the Liquid Platinum does. Not that the 789 and others are bad, the Liquid Platinum is just better.
Any chance there could be some crossfeed happening?

samshaver

Any plans on sending it to Amir to test?!? I’m quite interested in this amp as well, but would really like to see how it measures with Amir before blindly dropping the dough, as Amir’s measurements seem to be slightly more comprehensive/practical than AtomicBob’s.

I got my Liquid Platinum back in mid December and have been really impressed with it. Objectively it runs moderately warm to the touch and is pretty much dead quite as far as I can hear. Based on comments elsewhere it sounds like a couple people have had issues with theirs, but mine has been rock solid - and Monoprice backs it with a 5-year replacement warranty.

With regards to sound, I agree with much of what was said in the Enjoy the Music review. It is pretty neutral to my ears, much more so than the Liquid Carbon. I got a 789 last Friday and the Liquid Platinum is a meaningful step up - particularly in the areas of sound stage width, separation, and overall resolution. The thing that strikes me most about the Liquid Platinum is the "out of head" experience it gives you. The 789 and other amps I have, comparatively, don't have the sense of space/width that the Liquid Platinum does. Not that the 789 and others are bad, the Liquid Platinum is just better.

OP
H

Headphonaholic

Amir’s measurements seem to be slightly more comprehensive/practical than AtomicBob’s.
Just slightly? I don't exactly follow AtomicBob but last I knew he was misleading people with his measurements by interpreting them incorrectly. Personally, I wouldn't place much stock in someone that is misleading people.

gtb75

Any chance there could be some crossfeed happening?

Not unless it's happening in the circuitry of the amp itself. I was using the same source equipment and software/music for all of my comparisons, so the only variables were the amps.

gtb75

Any plans on sending it to Amir to test?!? I’m quite interested in this amp as well, but would really like to see how it measures with Amir before blindly dropping the dough, as Amir’s measurements seem to be slightly more comprehensive/practical than AtomicBob’s.

I am a relative newbie here and don't even know who "AtomicBob" is. I have been enjoying the amp too much to part with it - at least right now. I decided to pull the trigger based on what I heard of the Liquid Crimson at the MrSpeakers booth at Axpona years ago. I don't know what the measurements would show (hopefully positive based on the Liquid Spark), but my ears definitely like what they are hearing. I bought it "blind" and figured I'd use the Monoprice return policy if I didn't like it. Amir's measurements are fantastic (how I ended up with the D50 and SU-8), but I certainly don't expect him to be able to test every single piece of gear out there :)

samshaver

I have been enjoying the amp too much to part with it - at least right now.

I certainly don't expect him to be able to test every single piece of gear out there :)

Fair enough! I get that... But as soon as you think you could part with it for a short while, I know this is one piece of kit that Amir is wanting to test.

samshaver

I am a relative newbie here and don't even know who "AtomicBob" is.

I’m new around here too, so no worries. atomicbob is a member over on SBAF and HF who has posted some measurements of the liquid platinum.

D

Deleted member 3718

The price on monoprice has gone up to 769.99 + shipping! This amp seems to receive nothing but praise from everyone that listens to it.

cfgauss

Has anyone compared the LP to the Airist Heron 5? What are other candidates in this price range?

AresHarvest

The price on monoprice has gone up to 769.99 + shipping! This amp seems to receive nothing but praise from everyone that listens to it.

I can't find an archive of the page, but was it originally listed for $699.99 or thereabouts?

BigBeard

tube amp with greater resolution and dynamics than solid state? I had my eye on this amp, but purchased the massdrop 789 instead today. I am interested in listening to both.

D

Deleted member 3718

I can't find an archive of the page, but was it originally listed for $699.99 or thereabouts?
Yes it was originally 699.99 + shipping. Ebay had a 20% off coupon one day, with discounts not able to exceed $100, so some people were getting new units for as low as 599.99 with free shipping IIRC.

Top Bottom