• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith Liquid Platinum Headphone Amp (Alex Cavalli) is out today

mi-fu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
There is a subjective review here. not sure if it is helpful. ;)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi...iquid_Platinum_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

In the review, it mentioned that the liquid platinum didn't run very warm, like the CTH. I would doubt if it really has a "tube sound."

700 bucks would be too expensive for me to be experimental to get an "interesting" sound. Based on previous measurements of Cavalli products, I won't have much high hope on this. Let's see how the measurement of Monoprice Liquid Spark which Amir also has goes.

With that said, I would rather spend the money on the Monoprice THX 788 DAC/AMP if it measures well. :p

Rod

After hearing the Massdrop THXAAA amp I am waiting for this one to be tested and whether the battery is replaceable by the user.
Request

amp.jpg

The Monolith™ THX® Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC features cutting edge technology to bring out the best in your headphones, playback device, and music library. Featuring a THX AAA™ 788 amplifier module for superior amplification and extended battery life, an AKM® 4493 DAC for an exceptionally musical experience, and Dirac Sensaround® II decoding for an out-of-your-head, larger than life soundstage, the Monolith portable amplifier is engineered for the finest in music reproduction from your phone or other portable playback device.

Rod

After hearing the Massdrop THXAAA amp I am waiting for this one to be tested and whether the battery is replaceable by the user.
Request

View attachment 17259
The Monolith™ THX® Portable Headphone Amplifier and DAC features cutting edge technology to bring out the best in your headphones, playback device, and music library. Featuring a THX AAA™ 788 amplifier module for superior amplification and extended battery life, an AKM® 4493 DAC for an exceptionally musical experience, and Dirac Sensaround® II decoding for an out-of-your-head, larger than life soundstage, the Monolith portable amplifier is engineered for the finest in music reproduction from your phone or other portable playback device.
Hope someone buys it and sends it in and Amirm is willing to test it. I have a feeling its going to be good for a portable.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
index.php

Crossfeed and digital volume control? Maybe it could unseat my Leckerton UHA-4....

OP
H

Headphonaholic

There is a subjective review here. not sure if it is helpful. ;)

http://www.enjoythemusic.com/magazi...iquid_Platinum_Headphone_Amplifier_Review.htm

In the review, it mentioned that the liquid platinum didn't run very warm, like the CTH. I would doubt if it really has a "tube sound."

700 bucks would be too expensive for me to be experimental to get an "interesting" sound. Based on previous measurements of Cavalli products, I won't have much high hope on this. Let's see how the measurement of Monoprice Liquid Spark which Amir also has goes.

With that said, I would rather spend the money on the Monoprice THX 788 DAC/AMP if it measures well. :p

Uhh haha, yeah I don't actually use subjective reviews for amps or dacs anymore now that I have found Amir's fantastic reviews based in reality. Too easy to let the fancy packaging in big price tag fool you. I appreciate the link though :)

I actually own 2 fairly expensive tube amps but as a result I'm content and have no desire to spend more money in that realm unless it's for electrostatics.

I fully agree, I'll be buying the Monoprice THX amp the day it's available assuming it doesn't sell out before I do. Although I would applaud anyone buying this amp for science :D

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
What's missing? MFi certification. If a portable audio product doesn't work with iOS, then to me it doesn't work period.
Well, I know I don't want to pay the royalties to Apple on every device on behalf of you all. :)

Can't you use the camera dongle and such to get around that?

Jorj

Forum Donor
Thanks. I just ordered it. :)
Me too! If it works as well as I hope, I can sell the Mojo to a Chord fanboi. The Head-fi crowd still eats them up with a spoon.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Can't you use the camera dongle and such to get around that?

Maybe. I don't know. I am not interested in portable audio products that lack native compatibility with the portable devices I carry.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Me too! If it works as well as I hope, I can sell the Mojo to a Chord fanboi. The Head-fi crowd still eats them up with a spoon.
Yes, they have really worked the crowds there.

Ludachris

I just opened my package today and I have no problems with my monoprice cavalli liquid platinum. My unit gets warms after 15mins when using balanced xlr and temp remained same for an hr use. Volume knob gets a little warm. There was 1 review of this amp online where his begins to warm up after 1 hr which didn't happen for me. It reveals low volume distortion recordings in some older songs. Instrument separation is very realistic and detailed. Mids are like buttery to my ears. I'm loving it so far, even with the fake liquid crimson sound signature but its pretty clean not the cleanest. A lot detailed, cleaner than my massdrop cavalli liquid carbon X that I'll be selling to fund for my massdrop thx amp in the future. I hope someone send their unit to amirm to have a look at the build. I only own 2 amps (1 for sale) so I won't be lending mine.

TheRequiem

So tempting, yet so incomplete.

What's missing? MFi certification. If a portable audio product doesn't work with iOS, then to me it doesn't work period.
Mine works just fine with my iPhone, you just need a lightning to usb camera connector from Apple and then switch the input to usb in the amp.

gtb75

I got my Liquid Platinum back in mid December and have been really impressed with it. Objectively it runs moderately warm to the touch and is pretty much dead quite as far as I can hear. Based on comments elsewhere it sounds like a couple people have had issues with theirs, but mine has been rock solid - and Monoprice backs it with a 5-year replacement warranty.

With regards to sound, I agree with much of what was said in the Enjoy the Music review. It is pretty neutral to my ears, much more so than the Liquid Carbon. I got a 789 last Friday and the Liquid Platinum is a meaningful step up - particularly in the areas of sound stage width, separation, and overall resolution. The thing that strikes me most about the Liquid Platinum is the "out of head" experience it gives you. The 789 and other amps I have, comparatively, don't have the sense of space/width that the Liquid Platinum does. Not that the 789 and others are bad, the Liquid Platinum is just better.

Last edited:
Top Bottom