• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Monolith 10, 12 and 15-inch Subwoofer Review

Enchy

I'm also running dual 10s. They're great. I spent some time running REW measurements of the subs in about 45 locations in my smallish (13x13) room.

all subs.jpg

Sorted through that mess using the averager in REW to find the two best locations I could scrounge up. After running audyssey then manually adjusting delay settings. I got this:

final.jpg

Couldn't really hope for better in a square room. Very pleased with the performance of these subs. Hoping someday I see another pair of 10s up on classifieds somewhere so I can get 4 total to even out response across my 3 seats.

David_M

Just installed my 10" subwoofer. Playing a 20Hz test tone generates lots of port chaffing noise. Does anyone notice this noise on their monoliths?

LukyKuky

Just installed my 10" subwoofer. Playing a 20Hz test tone generates lots of port chaffing noise. Does anyone notice this noise on their monoliths?
Port chaffing noise is normal with high SPLs. I had two 10" and only in few occasions (Interstellar and Edge of tomorrow) where there are only bass scenes without any other sounds it could be heard. In every other occasions it's not hearable. It is only more engaging when bass scene comes and you can feel the airflow 3 meters from units. Like the real blast. Definitely 2,5D experience :cool:

LukyKuky

Hello folks, I would like to give my 2c. I bought two 10" and after few days in my room I was impressed but want more headroom. So I returned it and at first opted for double 15" but they were too large to fit the room (damn what a shame) so I bought two 12".
I sit about 3 meters from subs in a room 26m^2 wide open to another 20m^2 room with 3,3m cealling height.
Here are the results after minidsp:
max spl monos Snímek obrazovky 2022-01-28 115346.png

Blue - double 12" max spl with compression.
Purple - double 12" max spl before compression.
Yellow - double 10" max spl before compression.
Red/Green - Extended vs THX switch (low SPL)

Sub positions should be the same but not definitely sure (there has been few changes in the end for better seat to seat which is not much different to MLP).

I would like to also thank Erin for his immense effort to straightening up deformed audio realm.

Peace.

stemfencer

A lot of subwoofer feedback is in context of home theater, any feedback on how these are for audiophile listening, many people using these with their bookshelves etc?

Slayer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
A lot of subwoofer feedback is in context of home theater, any feedback on how these are for audiophile listening, many people using these with their bookshelves etc?
They are excellent for music. Tactile response is great. I think Aron touches on this either in his video or a post somewhere. But for music you will be pleased.

sebna

Hello folks, I would like to give my 2c. I bought two 10" and after few days in my room I was impressed but want more headroom. So I returned it and at first opted for double 15" but they were too large to fit the room (damn what a shame) so I bought two 12".
I sit about 3 meters from subs in a room 26m^2 wide open to another 20m^2 room with 3,3m cealling height.
View attachment 182523

Sub positions should be the same but not definitely sure (there has been few changes in the end for better seat to seat which is not much different to MLP).

I would like to also thank Erin for his immense effort to straightening up deformed audio realm.

Peace.
Hi Mate,

Great info.

Can you let us know how is the port chuffing on 12". Are yours V2 or V1? Can you hear chuffing on Interstellar and EOT as with 10"? Is it any better? Thanks

EDIT: Am I right that adding more subs would let them chuff less as they would have to work less for the same SPL? So when using 4 instead of 2 - would they chuff less loud or possibly not at all depending on SPL they are used at?

Last edited:

LukyKuky

Hi Mate,

Great info.

Can you let us know how is the port chuffing on 12". Are yours V2 or V1? Can you hear chuffing on Interstellar and EOT as with 10"? Is it any better? Thanks

EDIT: Am I right that adding more subs would let them chuff less as they would have to work less for the same SPL? So when using 4 instead of 2 - would they chuff less loud or possibly not at all depending on SPL they are used at?
As you already said: How much chuffing you get is dependant on the actual SPL. So 12" has less chuffing then 10" at the same SPL. But only in the beggining of EOT you can hear it (would say about 110dB at 3 meters). There wasn't any other movie where it was an issue. Also more subs means less SPL of each to get the same final SPL so less chuffing. I have v1, but I would say the performance would be the same.
When I have a spare time I will test it (only the 12").

Peace

sebna

View attachment 182523

Peace.
Those graphs are raw output - no EQ?

Bimbleton

Do you folks think a Monolith 15 is a worthy upgrade from an HSU VTF-2 mk5?

Top Bottom