• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Liquid Spark DAC by Alex Cavalli Review

jawbfl

All the ones I know from JDS are transformer based AC output type. Thus not universal.
Thanks, good to know, I was thinking about buying 2nd hand from the US but the cost of a new power brick makes it a bad deal.

Veri

Master Contributor
But how about Schiit Modi 3, Topping D10s, JDS Atom dac, sanskrit 10 mk2?
Of those mentioned, only the sanskrit seems to have increased in price. For the time being..

Veri

Master Contributor
what is really better than Monoprice Liquid Spark DAC .
The Liquid spark is one of the best budget DACs from what I see. No low frequency distortion like Modi 3+, no rising high frequency THD+N, best multi-tone. I would buy one, if I needed one :)

Veri

Master Contributor
You do not have it, you did not hear that, but recommend it, am I right?
No I don't own it, I'm just saying it looks as good on paper as all other DACs you just mentioned.

Lpd2

No I don't own it, I'm just saying it looks as good on paper as all other DACs you just mentioned.
And has great versatility including connections, size, and durable housing. I just ordered one today based on this review (and comments), and the fairly damning review of my 4490 A3 module. We shall see. I used their ebay shop just to one-click it. Wonder what the lead time will be.

0%_Audiophile

Found on ebay official seller https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monolith-L...K4493EQ-DAC-For-PC-Laptop-Tablet/373256810158 (because official web site has no free shipping on USA), wanted to buy but first decided to ask seller does power supply compatible with 220V socket (I live in Europe, long story how I ship from USA) and the answer was interesting
it needs power adapter to work.
it is designed fro 120v, for 220v you need a step down transformer.

How it can be possible? Did they changed the power supply?

Lpd2

Monoprice ebay official seller processed the order as quickly as possible, sent fedex. Got mine yesterday afternoon. Unit works well. I am using optical. Not sure how that affects measurements. USB had a ground loop hum when using cursor over album covers. I dont have another circuit anywhere near. Sounds great though to my ears.

jimid111

Found on ebay official seller https://www.ebay.com/itm/Monolith-L...K4493EQ-DAC-For-PC-Laptop-Tablet/373256810158 (because official web site has no free shipping on USA), wanted to buy but first decided to ask seller does power supply compatible with 220V socket (I live in Europe, long story how I ship from USA) and the answer was interesting

Doesn't this just mean as the DAC is built in the US, to use in the UK you'd need something like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0009K6M44/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

0%_Audiophile

Veri

Master Contributor
Thank you, but do not see reason to buy it and pay +50% of DAC price. For 99$ I can buy Modi (for example).
Why I was choosing Spark DAC - because 99+free shipping, while for Modi I should pay 99$ + 15$ shipping
You don't need that step-down transformer. The PSU is 110-230V compatible! You just need a 'travel adapter' style plug, that's it!

0%_Audiophile

You don't need that step-down transformer. The PSU is 110-230V compatible! You just need a 'travel adapter' style plug, that's it!
I am not sure, seller told me that "it is designed fro 120v, for 220v you need a step down transformer. " maybe they changed power supply.

Veri

Master Contributor
I am not sure, seller told me that "it is designed fro 120v, for 220v you need a step down transformer. " maybe they changed power supply.
The first image of amir's review is low resolution but I can make it out: it says 110-230V. The sales rep is simply wrong for telling you that. The plug might be for wrong country, but with an adapter it will work universally.

0%_Audiophile

The first image of amir's review is low resolution but I can make it out: it says 110-230V. The sales rep is simply wrong for telling you that. The plug might be for wrong country, but with an adapter it will work universally.
Just stop replying to my posts, please, you even do not understand that review was from Oct 30, 2020 and in almost 10 weeks they could release another revision. Every time "Amir`s review, Amir`s review..." you have to turn on your own mind and started to analyze information.
Do not believe each reviewer, at least in this reason "It was sent to me for review by the company " 100% he is the most disinterested person, but you continue write in each thread your "expert" opinion, just referring to his review :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Veri

Master Contributor
Just stop replying to my posts, please, you even do not understand that review was from Oct 30, 2020 and in almost 10 weeks they could release another revision. Every time "Amir`s review, Amir`s review..." you have to turn on your own mind and started to analyze information.
Do not believe each reviewer, at least in this reason "It was sent to me for review by the company " 100% he is the most disinterested person, but you continue write in each thread your "expert" opinion, just referring to his review :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:
It's a switching power supply, it's not exactly rocket science ... If you HAVE all the information and you think it's correct, what exactly do you expect me or others to tell you? Whatever. Figure it out yourself.

infinitesymphony

Major Contributor
Yeah, c'mon, it's clear Amir received the golden sample version of the power adapter. He should repurchase this DAC every 2 months to confirm it's the same. o_O

Labjr

Major Contributor
What are the chances that Monoprice is going spend more to supply a linear power supply for a $99 DAC?

Last edited:

Taddpole

Can't imagine many rushing to help you with you showing such an attitude.

Top Bottom