• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice - is this a place to complain about service?

wemist01

Ordered the 10" THX sub, which the website claims is in stock and ready to ship. Order status page now says
Order Status
Shipped Out via FedE...
But when you click through it shows that the item is unshipped and that is is "being packed". It has been in this status for two weeks.

I initially contacted them to ask about the delays in shipping an in stock item, and they sent back a message intended for someone else, complete with that person's tracking link and home address, even mentioning a partial refund. No, the incompetence didn't extend so far as me getting money out of the process.

I really don't like working with companies who use deception as part of the sales process, so I requested an order cancellation four days ago and named my unhappiness with these things. The email has been ignored. I just requested an order cancellation again.

The product may be good, and I may still be happy if it arrives, but my sense about their company culture and quality of service is not a good one. I've worked with other companies that had supply issues and was always patient and friendly, but checking their site and seeing every day "In stock! Ships today if ordered in the next few hours" when that is clearly false makes me dislike them quit a bit.

I suppose you can tell me that the product is worth all this, but still prefer to trust the companies I buy from. Thoughts?

DarrylG

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Ordered the 10" THX sub, which the website claims is in stock and ready to ship. Order status page now says
Order Status
Shipped Out via FedE...
But when you click through it shows that the item is unshipped and that is is "being packed". It has been in this status for two weeks.

I initially contacted them to ask about the delays in shipping an in stock item, and they sent back a message intended for someone else, complete with that person's tracking link and home address, even mentioning a partial refund. No, the incompetence didn't extend so far as me getting money out of the process.

I really don't like working with companies who use deception as part of the sales process, so I requested an order cancellation four days ago and named my unhappiness with these things. The email has been ignored. I just requested an order cancellation again.

The product may be good, and I may still be happy if it arrives, but my sense about their company culture and quality of service is not a good one. I've worked with other companies that had supply issues and was always patient and friendly, but checking their site and seeing every day "In stock! Ships today if ordered in the next few hours" when that is clearly false makes me dislike them quit a bit.

I suppose you can tell me that the product is worth all this, but still prefer to trust the companies I buy from. Thoughts?
That's surprising. The one time I had to deal with their customer service, I had a very good experience.

Katji

Major Contributor
but checking their site and seeing every day "In stock! Ships today if ordered in the next few hours" when that is clearly false
Most/many systems do not update SOH so often. ...Should be at least every day though.

tifune

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Been waiting on warranty replacement for my HTP1 since Sept. I'm told theres no stock, and every month they'll be here "end of the month". It's becoming increasingly difficult to get replies to my followup requests, usually 2-3 emails + a phone call to get an answer.

I've also found 2 people on AVS who claim to have purchased b-stock units in Sept.-Oct., so as you can imagine I am rather "frustrated".

Last edited:

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Order Status
Shipped Out via FedE...

That's sad that you're having this issue with them. Recently ordered a new LED monitor through them and never received a shipping tracker for the order, but the monitor showed up witinh three days. I would guess they could make their processes better on ordering and handling, good luck to you.

Last edited:
OP
wemist01

wemist01

You might be curious how this resolved itself. This isn't the most important thing, but it does go to show that you can have an entirely postive purchase experience with no monkey business.

Monoprice ignored all my emails until I contested the charge with my credit card company. After that, they promptly emailed me and cancelled the order.

I did a lot more research and chose the SVS SB-2000 Pro, which I ordered as an open box item from IQ home entertainment at $140 less than list. They shipped it same-day and I already have it. I had a question about payment (they pass everything through Paypal, which I don't love, but called me promptly after I submitted the question online to reassure me.) Very friendly. The sub was packaged as-new: nothing had been unwrapped; all the tape and bags were clearly undisturbed. So "open box" must mean something in this case, but in reality, not much at all.
Sub is in perfect shape and doesn't hiss (a complaint of the non-pro SVS's). Looking forward to calibrating it later today.

I'm very pleased with how this worked out.

Here's IQ, by the way. Search for "open box" and there is a lot of eye candy.

Cougar

Order Status
Shipped Out via FedE...

I was having an issue with my 10" THX sub, I sent them an email asking help on what it may be plus two follow up emails after the first reply saying someone would be getting in contact with me and still haven't heard back from that person this is going on two months now. I still get their ads about what's on sale but nothing on the Customer or Technical support side.

So since they have ignored me, I will never ever buy anything from them again. I bought other items before plus two of the 10" THX subs which are really good. I will let all my buddies know to stay away from them. I hate when companies are cool before the sale but then are terrible after.

Katji

Major Contributor
Monoprice ignored all my emails until I contested the charge with my credit card company. After that, they promptly emailed me and cancelled the order.
I was having an issue with my 10" THX sub, I sent them an email asking help on what it may be plus two follow up emails after the first reply saying someone would be getting in contact with me and still haven't heard back from that person this is going on two months now. I still get their ads about what's on sale but nothing on the Customer or Technical support side.

So since they have ignored me, I will never ever buy anything from them again.

Some post reminded me...back in the day, I had this nice email bomb program called unabomber or something...

1651598255474.png

You put in the email address and the message text, and set the number of emails to send. It worked great. Set it to 10, wait a day or so, and if no reply, do it again, send 50. ...And so on...

Communication, response to emails, keeping the customer informed, is key, most important.
These 2 cases here are enough - I would never buy anything from Monoprice. Stupid name anyway, although it clearly reflects their business concept - sell whatever crap, competing in the market on price.

So, let's see...

1651598058966.png

Ah, so, you can call it amchi-fi. [.....to be continued...]

Top Bottom