• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Francis Vaughan

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I think a lot of people have been waiting for the HTP-1. It potentially represents a step change in the entry price to what one might consider a serious but affordable HT. The prices mentioned for setting up a system based upon it are so far probably significantly inflated from reality. This is especially true for someone looking to upgrade an exiting 7.1 HT, where the upgrade price is as low as the additional (small) speakers and amplifiers to drive them. In that case one might reasonably say some of the well thought of JBL 305Pmkii. 3 pairs adds less than $900, if you pay list. Add cables and general messing about and you are only a fracion of the price of the processor. Even a scratch build need not involve silly money. Monoprice clearly hope you will minimally be buying their 11 channel amp ($2500), and maybe going the whole hog and purchasing their speakers as well. Anything from $2k to $4k on their THX certified Atmos speakers, plus maybe another $1k for a couple of modest powered subs. Call it $7k on top of the $4k HTP-1. Maybe squeeze the entire thing inside $10k. That is going to be their market. $4k for the processor, and anything from $1k to $6k for the rest. That $4k is pretty price sensitive. One can see where they are coming from, and what feature/performance/price they are pushing for. Add a modern big screen for another $5k and you have a dream system for many people. We haven't even reached the purchase price of just the processor of the real high stuff. But that $15k is a very real possibility for many.

OTOH, there is lots to criticise. Much of it laziness IMHO. The lack of real specs is simply just not a good look. Maybe 95% of the customers won't care, but it provides some assurance of quality standards. They provides performance assurances that in the face of problems can be used to sensibly talk about faults or flaws. And they provide a sincerity test of the designers and engineers responsible. In my game, you don't get to put finger to keyboard until the requirements are written and reviewed. And these requirements are just the beginning of a traceable quality process that doesn't stop. In the modern world this stuff should be SOP for any technical product.

In many ways, I care much less about the actual output voltage levels. The extraordinary performance seen in thing like the Benchmark DAC and amp are past caring about, and are little more than bragging rights than anything meaningful. (One notes that Monoprice rate their amplifiers for full output at 1.6 volts input. So they actually match the HTP-1 perfectly.) But I put more weight on engineering sincerity. State your goals, and verify-ably meet them.

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
For my use, I won't be needing to add anything to the price for the DAC's, because my speakers (JBL 70xP's) have digital inputs in addition to analog.
As the move towards powered speakers continues, having them with built in DAC's and some degree of processing is becoming more common, not less. I'd think the move towards a digital only out is what we are all waiting for.
I couldn't agree more. ;)

The future is imho wireless active speakers, including dsp capabilities for room response equalization, and of course DAC's.

But welcome to the real world:

https://m.thomann.de/gr/neumann_kh_310_a_right.htm?o=1&search=1581862001

https://m.thomann.de/gr/neumann_kh_310_d_left.htm?o=3&search=1581862001

1777€ without DAC, 2550€ with DAC's.

The difference is 773€ per speaker, 8.500€ for 11 speakers.
Go figure.
I bought the ones without DAC's... ;)

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
OTOH, there is lots to criticise. Much of it laziness IMHO. The lack of real specs is simply just not a good look. Maybe 95% of the customers won't care,
Well, indeed they don't care for the specs, it's a privilege they don't really have. ;)

There doesn't exist a cheaper avr with XLR's, 16 outputs and dirac to buy! There is not enough money for a more expensive one, the budget is already stretched beyond capabilities even for monoprice..

Beyond specs, the complex multichannel equipment needs to ...work!
And to play everything. All movies, all sound formats. Without performing the decoding, it is just silent. Nothing...
I have to remind you the case of emotiva, which didn't ever manage to get dirac to work! After almost 2 years of promise's.
The case of nad, with so many problems and bugs!
They just don't work!

Other avr's doesn't support auro 3d upmixing. I really don't care about their sinad numbers, who gives a shit...

You sit to enjoy an immersive recording, and it is not working, it is not decoding, you are just listening to hiss and digital noise, what sinad and measurements, oh it just needs to work!

I know many people who don't buy a new and better equipment, not because they don't like the new stuff, but just because they know from the forums that there are problems and bugs, they want peace of mind and not troubles in everyday use.

Yes it is better, but when i come tired at home after work, i just want to enjoy a multichannel recording or a movie, not trying to solve the puzzle of why it is not working, so performance comes second.

A/V Analysis

I measured in pass through mode (fixed volume, no EQ, no tone control) to measure the DACs performance and the 3.8Vrms are what I got.
If you measure in variable mode, going to +0.5dB should get you to 4V (but may result in clipping). The Classé uses the same CS3318 volume control.

audioBliss

If anyone is confused about why you'd need 16 channels, Roon, Dirac and so on it is because of Diracs new bass module system coming soon to several 16 channel AVRs like this. It will enable Dirac to measure each sub individually and then together and in combination with the other speakers. This will be a game changer for how smooth and detailed bass you will get, optimizing crossover points etc. This is extremely important for both music and movies. You need discrete channels for the subs and since the research and subjective impressions both agree that you should aim for four subs you need a lot of discrete channels in the AVR.

Not all room correction is the same there are only a few that is interesting at all imo. Dirac, Room Perfect, Trinnov Acoustic Correction, Lake processing etc. is the level that is needed. To me this makes all AVRs without something like this completely uninteresting. YPAO, ARC, Audyssey, MCACC, DCAC, AccuEQ and all those types of correction is not interesting to me and most enthusiast in the community at this point.

Out of all the interesting room correction out there Dirac is the only one as far as I know that are in products that "normal" people can afford. The rest of the stuff is basically for $100 000+++ custom install theaters.

This is why the HTP-1, AV40 and so on are so significant for a lot of enthusiast even if you only want to run 2 channel with multi sub. And as far as Roon goes that has also been shown to basically be the only bullet proof way of getting bit correct 2 channel streaming working correctly regardless if you are playing 44.1 or 192 or whatever.

I have seen a lot of talk about why would you ever need that many channels and features but I think it's justified and I for one would like to buy an AVR that I can keep for 10+ years. I had hopes for this AVR and I wish it would have measured a bit better. If something measures excellent today it will still be excellent 20 years from now. That said so far it's the most interesting.

The market for these types of product is more or less the enthusiast community but we are a picky bunch in this day and age. I'm not sure if the manufacturers realize the significance of these products and how much they would cash in if everything measure excellent. I really hope they take the opportunity now to get with the times and start developing products with objective data as input.

But like someone else said the most important is that the basics are done correctly. There are a lot of us sitting on AVRs with a bunch of bugs or want to move to multi sub optimization. And like I've said before, multi-channel recordings is where it's at right now. Sure 2 channel can be a great experience but it can't really compete with multi channel at all IMO.

I'm not sure what the point of this post was but I guess what I mean is that multi channel is the new 2 channel just like stereo once was the new mono. And I hope AVR manufacturers start taking multi channel as serious as a lot of 2 channel manufacturers do their 2 channel gear.

As it stands the HTP-1 is the AVR to beat even if it leaves some to be desired but I read it's not available for EU voltage so can some other manufacturer please step up :) I wonder how the Arcam AV40 measures. But even if it's really good their software team seems..well not on top of things to put it politely.

A/V Analysis

Also, anyone waiting for the JBL SDP-55, isn't it based off the Arcam AV-40 line which has been reviewed fairly poorly so far?
I am! The beauty of the SDP-55 is support for Dante. This audio over IP transport will allow users to bypass the internal DACs/analog stage. Most will use it to go direct digital to the DSP inside of active speaker amplifiers. Rumor is that Dante is coming to the Trinnovs as well.

I am using S/PDIF to my active front L/R with the Trinnov Altitude 16. The Altitude 32 supports up to 16 channels output via AES3 (so up to 48 ch total).

JEntwistle

Forum Donor
If anyone is confused about why you'd need 16 channels, Roon, Dirac and so on it is because of Diracs new bass module system coming soon to several 16 channel AVRs like this. It will enable Dirac to measure each sub individually and then together and in combination with the other speakers. This will be a game changer for how smooth and detailed bass you will get, optimizing crossover points etc. This is extremely important for both music and movies. You need discrete channels for the subs and since the research and subjective impressions both agree that you should aim for four subs you need a lot of discrete channels in the AVR.

Not all room correction is the same there are only a few that is interesting at all imo. Dirac, Room Perfect, Trinnov Acoustic Correction, Lake processing etc. is the level that is needed. To me this makes all AVRs without something like this completely uninteresting. YPAO, ARC, Audyssey, MCACC, DCAC, AccuEQ and all those types of correction is not interesting to me and most enthusiast in the community at this point.

Out of all the interesting room correction out there Dirac is the only one as far as I know that are in products that "normal" people can afford. The rest of the stuff is basically for $100 000+++ custom install theaters.

This is why the HTP-1, AV40 and so on are so significant for a lot of enthusiast even if you only want to run 2 channel with multi sub. And as far as Roon goes that has also been shown to basically be the only bullet proof way of getting bit correct 2 channel streaming working correctly regardless if you are playing 44.1 or 192 or whatever.

I have seen a lot of talk about why would you ever need that many channels and features but I think it's justified and I for one would like to buy an AVR that I can keep for 10+ years. I had hopes for this AVR and I wish it would have measured a bit better. If something measures excellent today it will still be excellent 20 years from now. That said so far it's the most interesting.

The market for these types of product is more or less the enthusiast community but we are a picky bunch in this day and age. I'm not sure if the manufacturers realize the significance of these products and how much they would cash in if everything measure excellent. I really hope they take the opportunity now to get with the times and start developing products with objective data as input.

But like someone else said the most important is that the basics are done correctly. There are a lot of us sitting on AVRs with a bunch of bugs or want to move to multi sub optimization. And like I've said before, multi-channel recordings is where it's at right now. Sure 2 channel can be a great experience but it can't really compete with multi channel at all IMO.

I'm not sure what the point of this post was but I guess what I mean is that multi channel is the new 2 channel just like stereo once was the new mono. And I hope AVR manufacturers start taking multi channel as serious as a lot of 2 channel manufacturers do their 2 channel gear.

As it stands the HTP-1 is the AVR to beat even if it leaves some to be desired but I read it's not available for EU voltage so can some other manufacturer please step up :) I wonder how the Arcam AV40 measures. But even if it's really good their software team seems..well not on top of things to put it politely.

Good summary.

I think someone like Topping, Matrix, et al, are going to put AVR's on their radar and then wipe the floor with the existing companies and their products. The opportunity is too great, and they have proven in the audio space what can be achieved. If you put out "just good enough" products today, you are asking for trouble.

You have been warned...

A/V Analysis

Better still, Denon and Marantz is unmatched and their rock solid ability to implement trouble free eARC, which for me, is quite difficult for most pre/pro manufacturers to get right in terms of TV compatibility, and most importantly, eARC is essential for all AVRs plugging directly into the latest flagship TVs. The world is going towards less components not more, and so with that in mind, TVs with integrated streaming services (Netflix, Disney Plus, etc.) require eARC capable receivers.
eARC is not required for integrated streaming services (lossy audio), only ARC. What eARC adds is the ability for users to connect component directly to the TV and pass lossless audio over the HDMI link between the TV processor. This allows you to now connect HDMI 2.1 devices directly to the TV without having to upgrade the processor's HDMI board. Very similar to the olden days of DVD when we had separate connections for Video and Audio (via S/PDIF).

HDMI_2.1_eARC_2.jpg

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you measure in variable mode, going to +0.5dB should get you to 4V (but may result in clipping). The Classé uses the same CS3318 volume control.
AFAIK spec for XLR out is 9 Vrms so it better not clips at +0.5 dB volume. I'll check it when I'm in the mood to rip my system apart ..

A/V Analysis

eARC is not required for integrated streaming services (lossy audio), only ARC. What eARC adds is the ability for users to connect component directly to the TV and pass lossless audio over the HDMI link between the TV processor. This allows you to now connect HDMI 2.1 devices directly to the TV without having to upgrade the processor's HDMI board. Very similar to the olden days of DVD when we had separate connections for Video and Audio (via S/PDIF).

HDMI_2.1_eARC_2.jpg
HDMI is one of if not the highest power drawing components in an A/V processor. This likely has a significant impact on SINAD performance. Marantz has engineers on the same level of the as many of these other companies being mentioned. Having the wealth of legacy connections (phono, composite video, etc.) in addition to HDMI support largely contribute to the analog performance.

Technical experts, @MC_RME and @Srrndhound would you mind commenting on the some of the potential challenges achieving high SINAD performance on a high channel count A/V processor.

Does RME see potential for designing such processors with SINAD performance approacing dedicated DACs? Are any other insiders lurking who can comment.

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Which again returns to the number of channels and logos being paramount. I don't think anyone is denying that if you are planning an installation for a full 16ch setup... then you will obviously have a much smaller number of options available to you. However, you are also likely to be building a theater where the total budget is well into 5 figures (presuming you're correctly spending the lion's share on speakers) and possibly low 6 figures. In that case, what is the compelling reason for saving $2K-6K by going with the HTP-1? It requires a similar level of installation expertise to the higher priced competition (tablet/PC configuration, calibrated mic, etc.) but does not share the same integrator networks that the Trinnov's of this market have.

Is the final result with Audyssey32XT inferior to Dirac Live? Possibly, at least objectively speaking... but the results with Audyssey are significantly better than not having DSP at all... and the time between unpacking and enjoying content is measured in minutes and doesn't even require cracking the manual. Cheaper and more aesthetically pleasing (IMO at least) aren't even included, but their proven reliability over time definitely puts another check in their column for me.

You can't have it both ways... if SQ isn't really important to anyone... then what are the odds that they can even tell the difference between two DSP REQ implementations? And if the "crappier" version is more amp agnostic, allows for on-screen calibration with an included mic, and is so simple no manual is needed even for those not technically gifted - what does "better" even look like?
Are you talkin' to me?

A/V Analysis

I really wonder why they don't throw away the HDMI forever..

Display port's specifications are excellent.
It's too late. HDMI is here to stay. :(
Display Port doesn't carry audio. Correction: Yes it does.

HDMI was compromised by the beginning. Taking DVI and adding audio (without its own dedicated clock) tells us that no audio engineers had much of a voice defining the standard. Manufacturers had to get creative to control the jitter of passing PCM over HDMI. I'm not sure if @amirm saw my post regarding converting S/PDIF to HDMI via Audinate's Dante Via.

https://www.audinate.com/products/software/dante-via

Last edited:

audioBliss

I really wonder why they don't throw away the HDMI forever..

Display port's specifications are excellent.
I guess you know the answer :). HDMI is the de facto standard for A/V. DisplayPort is only used in the computer world. There are core features missing and at this point there are so many devices using HDMI that it's too late more or less. It would take a monumental change in the industry to get away from HDMI. I agree HDMI is useless.

Dherrmann717

HDMI is what you get when Hollywood corporate dictates the standards. In their defense, copyright protection is one of their very top priorities, and I certainly respect that, just not how they went about doing it.

An example of how good the HTP-1 is. Last night, I had a half hour to play with the system before the NBA All Star thing started. Went to Disney+ on my LG TV and started a Star Wars movie. Even the opening theme music was stunning - the separation and use of surrounds even for the theme music gave us the feeling of being in a good theater. But when the opening battles started - OMG. And I'm not running Atmos speakers yet :)

I played it loud and zero clipping. (Parasound A21 and Emotiva XPA-5 Gen 2 amps, Paradigm Studio v100 speaker family)

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

IMO this needs to be a) a released product and b) supported by actual measurements of the results before it can be taken seriously.

Buying products based on promises of someday-software-updates is nuts and encourages bad practices. See: The Emotiva XMC-1 which months after release still doesn't even have the promised Dirac.

Costas EAR

Forum Donor
Last edited:

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
An example of how good the HTP-1 is. Last night, I had a half hour to play with the system before the NBA All Star thing started. Went to Disney+ on my LG TV and started a Star Wars movie. Even the opening theme music was stunning -

It is great that you like it, and are able to enjoy it.

That isn't an example of how good it is though...that's more of an example of how one person enjoys it.

I have no doubt it works fine for the most part...it just doesn't match stated specs. For the EE types (or for those who teach the EE types)...how well would it go over if your finished multiyear project failed to meet stated objectives to this degree?

Top Bottom