• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
And it works perfectly. The root cause was well documented over at AVS if you're interested (post 14,578).

@Dj7675 - I think you'd be interested too, based on your post above. To be honest, Monolith has continued to impress me with their customer service. I installed the software that corrected the defect that led to the problem and it works great. Note too, that I never had a problem.

(I've never had an AVR or processor that sounded as good as the HTP-1)
I have continued to follow the issue and am really happy the cause and issue seems to be resolved for the sake of owners. I almost purchased several times but just not something I would have found to be acceptable.. both it happening in the first place and I still feel that they did not get out in front of it nearly soon enough. I am sure they were working like crazy behind the scenes, but something that causes the unit to not work at all, response on AVS should have been much sooner with more updates etc. We use our theater every evening for TV/Streaming and it would have put me in the doghouse. Super happy for currently owners for sure though.

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
it isn't impossible the processing chain mutes to prevent idle tones being generated in the face of very low to zero input. Same reason some DACs actually mute their output in the face of zero input.
Call me cynical, but my belief is this was to have amazing "signal-to-noise" when measured with zero data tracks from a test disc. Workaround was FFT using an LSB track (NAB test CD IIRC) ;)

multisport4me

I just bought an HTP-1 and lucky me, the latest firmware was loaded and I have no reboot issues at all. I think this thing is amazing. I just hope they add DTS:X Pro and continue adding other features.

Beast76

I just bought an HTP-1 and lucky me, the latest firmware was loaded and I have no reboot issues at all. I think this thing is amazing. I just hope they add DTS:X Pro and continue adding other features.
I agree. I bought a B-stock a few weeks ago. DLBC alone made it worthwhile. I’m not a pro like many in here, but had spent hours tweaking, measuring, using MSO, inputting into my miniDSP, re-measuring and had what I thought sounded pretty good. 30 minutes with DLBC made my mouth drop. I also love the web interface by Pink Soda with built in BassEQ as well. Hoping Dirac sets up the ability to have an “untouched” sub output for my Crowsons …. The only think I need now.

database

Hoping Dirac sets up the ability to have an “untouched” sub output for my Crowsons …. The only think I need now.

Dirac stated it's on their list but no ETA for the moment. Perhaps not their highest priority.

Last edited:

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
I agree. I bought a B-stock a few weeks ago. DLBC alone made it worthwhile. I’m not a pro like many in here, but had spent hours tweaking, measuring, using MSO, inputting into my miniDSP, re-measuring and had what I thought sounded pretty good. 30 minutes with DLBC made my mouth drop. I also love the web interface by Pink Soda with built in BassEQ as well. Hoping Dirac sets up the ability to have an “untouched” sub output for my Crowsons …. The only think I need now.
Where did you buy the B-stock from?

multisport4me

I kept watching hifizero.com and hifishark.com and got a new one from a guy through one of themthem. They pop up there all the time if you don't mind used. The warranty is transferable so I bought mine and the transaction worked out well and I didn't have to wait for Monoprice.

laurelkurt

Forum Donor
Looked brand new to me, comes with the full 5 year warranty, too. They’re 3499 - so Dirac Live Bass Control Free! ;)
You paid the extra 500 for DLBC, so essentially free? The warranty sure is attractive. I'd never use more than 7 channels plus 2 subs, and actually only 2.2, 95% of the time. It still interests me. Thanks again. I'll be watching.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I'd never use more than 7 channels plus 2 subs
Sure, you say that now, but what about 2 years from now.
Takes 9 channels for just a basic 5.X.4 Atmos system ;)

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You paid the extra 500 for DLBC, so essentially free? The warranty sure is attractive. I'd never use more than 7 channels plus 2 subs, and actually only 2.2, 95% of the time. It still interests me. Thanks again. I'll be watching.

Be aware that in a warranty case B-stock units only get replaced when B-stock is actually available. If there's no B-stock you might be without a working SSP for a painfully long time.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

I know how difficult the entire review process is... I have heard however from ASR members that the HTP-1 is now a stable , interesting product. It remains BTW one of the few Pre/Pro in this price range, and it does offer some interesting features among these DIRAC. Wouldn't it be interesting to revisit it? I noticed that in his conclusion Amir said and I quote:
I am hoping that the muting problem beyond 15 bits can be fixed with a firmware update. If so, and the video compatibility is not a broader issue, I would give HTP-1 a passing grade. As it is now, it is not ready for production.

emphasis is mine. The product has been out for more than 2 years, enough for the manufacturer to right out some kinks and other issues. I am no longer on the SINAD bandwagon and can live happily with a 85 dB SINAD which the HTP-1 clears... For those who cannot or don't want to swing for a Trinnov or a Storm ;)

Peace.

Beast76

Hi

I know how difficult the entire review process is... I have heard however from ASR members that the HTP-1 is now a stable , interesting product. It remains BTW one of the few Pre/Pro in this price range, and it does offer some interesting features among these DIRAC. Wouldn't it be interesting to revisit it? I noticed that in his conclusion Amir said and I quote:

emphasis is mine. The product has been out for more than 2 years, enough for the manufacturer to right out some kinks and other issues. I am no longer on the SINAD bandwagon and can live happily with a 85 dB SINAD which the HTP-1 clears... For those who cannot or don't want to swing for a Trinnov or a Storm ;)

Peace.
You can’t buy it. I don’t think Amir cares whether you’ve moved on from SINAD

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Peace.
I would not necessarily agree it is stable... some users seem to still be affected by the reboot issue. If it didn't have this issue at all for anyone, I would agree it would be the one. I could not live with the unit if it still had a chance of that popping up. Their response/fix to this was inadequate in my opinion.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You can’t buy it. I don’t think Amir cares whether you’ve moved on from SINAD
First part is key... I noticed after having post that it is out of stok and that the projection was for Decemebr 2022, IOW never ... As for the part about SINAD, I believe that anything that go past 85 dB is Hi-Fi, that most AVR cannot beat even $100 DAC seems to me more and more unimportant... We know now, that 90 dB SINAD and 120 dB SINAD sound the exact same to 99.9999% of the audiophiles on this planet... :D ...so...
I would not necessarily agree it is stable... some users seem to still be affected by the reboot issue. If it didn't have this issue at all for anyone, I would agree it would be the one. I could not live with the unit if it still had a chance of that popping up. Their response/fix to this was inadequate in my opinion.
fair enough...

Top Bottom