• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

rcohen

I've been happy with my HTP-1. No boot loop problems, although mine is running on a static IP and plugged in to my UPS (which I had anyway for my HTPC and projector.)

The reason for speculation that power or networking could be a factor is that some people have encountered the boot loop repeatedly (even across multiple units) while others never run into it. So, some kind of environmental factor seems likely.

It's still speculative, though. It might be explained by specific HDMI sources, configuration settings, or just coincidence. Trying to find patterns from so few samples is deceptive territory.

There were a couple firmware versions where it got really common, but it has been really rare with the recent versions.

FWIW, I installed fw 1.9.1, then downgraded to 1.8.9.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I've been happy with my HTP-1. No boot loop problems, although mine is running on a static IP and plugged in to my UPS (which I had anyway for my HTPC and projector.)

The reason for speculation that power or networking could be a factor is that some people have encountered the boot loop repeatedly (even across multiple units) while others never run into it. So, some kind of environmental factor seems likely.

It's still speculative, though. It might be explained by specific HDMI sources, configuration settings, or just coincidence. Trying to find patterns from so few samples is deceptive territory.

There were a couple firmware versions where it got really common, but it has been really rare with the recent versions.

FWIW, I installed fw 1.9.1, then downgraded to 1.8.9.

I have seen posts that loss of power while running or in high-power standby correlates with the boot-loop. That is the reason for the recommendation to use a UPS. A UPS takes care of short-term outages only.

- Rich

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Someone had reported some kind of upmixer bug. I don't remember now. I'm going to see if I can dig it up to see if I can find out more.
Ok, thanks.
Just curious on if it related to the reboot issue or something else.
Good luck.

rcohen

Ok, thanks.
Just curious on if it related to the reboot issue or something else.
Good luck.
I found someone complaining that the Aura upmixer stopped mixing to wides in 1.9.1. I also came across something talking about upgrading to 1.9.1 to get the VU meter working. Neither of these seem consistent across other people, so it's possible they were flukes.

Descartes

Major Contributor
This is a review and detailed measurements of the Monolith Monoprice HTP-1 16-channel AV Processor. A kind member ordered it and had it drop shipped to me. The HTP-1 has recently started shipping and costs US $4,000 from the company direct.

I can't say I am a fan of the industry design of the HTP-1 but do like the large display:

The packaging feels cheep for a product in this price category. Back panel seems too think and I could flex the IEC input jack in and out as I plugged in my cable.

The rotary encoder is too shallow for proper grip and has no acceleration support. So you better not be in a hurry when you try to make big volume changes. You can crank it hard and watch the lazy volume indicator gradually change. On the other hand, minor changes are hard to do due to coarse resolution of 1 dB and jittery encoder that jumps 2 dB when you want to change 1 dB.

Cold boot takes a long time. After that, it stays in some kind of suspended mode and wakes up quickly until it loses power. Then the slow cycle starts again.

I set the options to show details of audio formats and such but I still did not seem the same rate and bit depth on the display. There is so much real estate there and the webserver can show it so why not on the LCD?

Love the back connectors in the way it dismisses the ancient composite and component video connectors and just gives you what you need on a modern AV product:

Note that there is no on-screen display. You manage the unit through its app or web server. I used the latter which worked very well on the desktop. On my Samsung S8+ the pop up was slow and there was some refresh bugs. On the desktop, it was far superior to any on-screen display.

I started my testing using the AES/EBU digital input. I then switched to testing with HDMI but no luck. The unit would simply not pass video from my PC's Nvidia graphs card. I would get a blank screen. I set the resolution to 1080p and it still produced no picture. So I dragged the unit to my main system, rip it apart :(, and tested it there. It worked fine with my Samsung UHD player and LG OLED TV. I have tested countless AVRs and processors with PCs and while they don't always work perfectly, they do produce a picture. I am worried about level of compatibility of HTP-1 given my experience.

FYI I did a system upgrade and it made no difference (it reports version 1.1 on display when it boots).

Overall this is a mixed bag of very nice display and web interface, and not so good input control and sheet metal. Not a showstopper though if the performance is there.

AV Processor DAC Performance
As noted, I used AES/EBU balanced digital input to feed the HTP-1. Here is the outcome at nominal 4 volts that desktop DACs produce:

View attachment 49844

OK, not broken but not that great either. Reducing the level to 2.7 volts which is the max that some other processors/AVRs produce before clipping gave a bit better performance:

View attachment 49845

Note that you get severe clipping at 4.5 volts or so. And that messing with the amplifier sensitivity level in the setup does not help with any of this. Anyway, this is where the ranking lands with the two output settings:

View attachment 49846

With the lower output, I think we have our first AV product that breaks into the green category. Among AVRs, that also edges out all other AV products we have tested:

View attachment 49847

Dynamic range was good:

View attachment 49849

As was multitone performance:

View attachment 49850

Wideband distortion and noise was not that competitive though:
View attachment 49851

Intermodulation distortion versus input level shows that we still have not closed the gap with even budget desktop DACs:

View attachment 49852

Frequency response was fine:
View attachment 49848

Filter response is the typical default in DAC chips:
View attachment 49853

What is that? You don't know why it get the decapitated panther with this type of performance? Well, this is why:

View attachment 49854

The test starts at -120 dB and keeps increasing the level. The HTP-1 kept flashing its PCM indicator but would produce no output until we got down to -90 dB which is 1 bit short of 16 bit audio. We can see this clearly by looking at the waveform at -90 and -96 dB:

View attachment 49855

As you see in the inset, I am definitely sending it 24 bit audio.

We saw this behavior in another processor, namely the Emotiva XMC-1:

index.php

Seems like the same shop that supplied the audio subsystem for XMC-1 is behind the same mistaken design in HTP-1. We could forgive the XMC-1 for being old but no such excuse holds for HTP-1. Folks, this is ABCs of design. You verify simple things like whether the device can process 24-bit data. After all, almost all video soundtracks are 24 bits.

EDIT: There is a setting in the menu to override the low level muting. The output clips though. See: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...me-theater-processor-review.11416/post-326504

Jitter was another disappointment:

View attachment 49856

Wish I could test HDMI but can not. Above spikes are correlated with the 250 Hz square wave that is embedded in J-test signal. This means what bits to feed the DAC changes its analog input! So bits are not bits unfortunately. Fortunately levels are low so likely not audible but in a high-end processor, we better not see artifacts like this.

Conclusions
The HTP-1 seems to want to raise the bar on DAC performance over its competitors and it succeeds a bit there. But then it truncates every 24 bit sample to 16 bits, removing the value of such performance. Jitter performance is also not good. And of course, if you can't get video through the thing as was my experience with my PC, then the rest does not happen.

I am hoping that the muting problem beyond 15 bits can be fixed with a firmware update. If so, and the video compatibility is not a broader issue, I would give HTP-1 a passing grade. As it is now, it is not ready for production.

EDIT: an obscure setting fixes the linearity/muting issue. This setting should be the default, not the other way around. I am still bothered by lack luster output level and distortion for a $4,000 product. So not changing my recommendation. Buy this product because you want its features, not because you think the $4,000 is bringing you superlative objective audio performance. There are $150 stereo DACs that easily outperform it on that front.

------------
As always, questions, comments, recommendations, etc. are welcome.

This is my second review for the day. I now you can be cheap but even you can feel sorry for me by donating money using: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/how-to-support-audio-science-review.8150/
Thank you for your great review, have they fixed the issues that you outlined?

I can’t stand buying stuff from AV dealers anymore, knowing that the margins they get in electronics (40-50 points off MSRP) especially when they are just pushing boxes! It used to be that they would spend time demonstrating gears and providing a service, but now that’s all gone.

Descartes

Major Contributor
I very much appreciate the AVR reviews. Thank you to the people sending them in and Amir for doing the tests! I feel like Monoprice did a descent effort here but again for the price it is not acceptable. So far there are no AVRs that have passed with flying colors. Monoprice is a new player in the market so pretty descent effort considering. But damn the one company that gets a passing grade everybody in the enthusiast community is going to buy it. There is a huge opportunity here. I hope manufacturers are reading this. Hire some QAs to test these products before launch. It will save you in the long run!! The word will spread in the community you can be sure of it.
Maybe people on this forum care about scientific data but 99% of people just look at the glossy marketing brochures and believe the BS!

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
I can’t stand buying stuff from AV dealers anymore, knowing that the margins they get in electronics (40-50 points off MSRP) especially when they are just pushing boxes! It used to be that they would spend time demonstrating gears and providing a service, but now that’s all gone.
What's gone, brick and mortar stores, yea mostly.
But IME the ones still around will still do whatever it takes to make the sale, and more
If they didn't they wouldn't stay around in todays internet sales world.

For the B&M stores, I hate to be a devils advocate here but do you have any idea what the cost of doing business is like?

Beast76

You can’t buy one, anyway. But I’m not really aware of any issues that needed to be fixed. Most of the things discussed weren’t broken to begin with.

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

In the quote that you quoted under “edit” at the end. It has been addressed in a setting (at least that is my understanding). In my opinion, early on Amir was much harder on AV gear. After testing so many receivers and processors, I do wonder if this were just being reviewed today, if the recommendation would be any different. The HTP1 checks off about every box you can think of except lack of DTSX. The only other concern would be the boot loop issue (some users still experience). The only other thing lacking would be lack of 20 channel support to do 9.4.6, but that isn’t really fair since only Trinnov and StormAudio appear to do that.

Descartes

Major Contributor
In the quote that you quoted under “edit” at the end. It has been addressed in a setting (at least that is my understanding). In my opinion, early on Amir was much harder on AV gear. After testing so many receivers and processors, I do wonder if this were just being reviewed today, if the recommendation would be any different. The HTP1 checks off about every box you can think of except lack of DTSX. The only other concern would be the boot loop issue (some users still experience). The only other thing lacking would be lack of 20 channel support to do 9.4.6, but that isn’t really fair since only Trinnov and StormAudio appear to do that.
Trinnov & Storm are so expensive!
Monoprice could update it and make still inexpensive compared to the two other boutiques brands

Descartes

Major Contributor
What's gone, brick and mortar stores, yea mostly.
But IME the ones still around will still do whatever it takes to make the sale, and more
If they didn't they wouldn't stay around in todays internet sales world.

For the B&M stores, I hate to be a devils advocate here but do you have any idea what the cost of doing business is like?
Yes I do!
To be honest I wished manufacturer’s would just sell direct cut the middle man and offer better prices rather than fattening these distributors and dealers! The end user customer would be able to afford better products.
Welcome to the 20th century!

rvsixer

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes I do!
To be honest I wished manufacturer’s would just sell direct cut the middle man and offer better prices rather than fattening these distributors and dealers! The end user customer would be able to afford better products.
Welcome to the 20th century!
The product under discussion here is a 21st century product. It is already sold direct with no distributors and dealers. It has no fat glossy brochures for unsuspecting buyers. And imo 99% of the people buying it do so specifically for its technical capability/price point ratio, etc. Can we get back to tech discussion of the reviewed product.

Last edited:

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
To be honest I wished manufacturer’s would just sell direct cut the middle man and offer better prices rather than fattening these distributors and dealers!
I find it funny how people always want "the other guy" to make less.
Just don't cut his income. LOL

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

Descartes

Major Contributor
Please explain the value proposition of your income. ;)
My point exactly, just pushing boxes!
Custom installers are a different story but just retailers in the world of the internet are a dying species!

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
My point exactly, just pushing boxes!
Custom installers are a different story but just retailers in the world of the internet are a dying species!
With a lot of audio / video gear being essentially appliances of a mature technology base, dealers don't make a lot of sense.

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
Please explain to us the value proposition of an audio dealer?
You still seem to be ducking the point, I was talking about B&M dealers and the cost of THEIR doing business is high.
We all bitch about the good ole days when you could walk into any numbers dealers, listen to gear, waste his time shooting the shit and all the rest.
Now Internet sales WITH its highly discounted prices has broken the backs of most B&M.
So who was it you think is still making these huge profit margins that needs to be changed?

Top Bottom