• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

Bartl007

As a happy HTP-1 owner, I am sad to see the lack of availability eliminating this as a choice for other consumers.

I have had 2 instances of the "boot loop" which were frustrating at first, but once you have the recovery process figured out, it's an easy fix to get the unit back up and running. The software updates/patches have greatly reduced the incidence of boot loops, but not entirely eliminated them (I have had 1 boot loop after the supposed software "fix").

If I have to deal with a boot loop or two every year to get trinnov type performance from my home theater in order to save the $10-12k price difference, that's a compromise I'm happily willing to make.

As has been pointed out by others, Amir's review, while quite valuable to the community, misses the forest for the trees with its ultimate conclusions. If all you have is a hammer (audio precision analyzer), everything looks like a nail.

Regarding SINAD, I have found no audible difference on my unit by varying the output voltage settings between 101dB SINAD and 97dB. That's also listening in a space designed and built for a low noise floor/ ~NC-20 FWIW.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor
It is not my job or place to reveal confidential information. Surely that's not such a foreign concept, no?
Sounds more to me like you enjoy throwing out a bunch of BS and then hiding behind some claimed NDA. :confused:

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
Sounds more to me like you enjoy throwing out a bunch of BS and then hiding behind some claimed NDA. :confused:
I think I'm going to use that old ignore button again.

Beast76

I’m a happy HTP-1 owner, too. I never made any statement to the effect that Monoprice or ATI weren’t aware of or trying to fix the boot loop issue. I only stated (correctly) that there there continue to be reports of boot loops (Me being one of them) and there is currently not a fix available from the company. I’m floored as to how that is a controversial statement that sparked all of the back and forth.

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor

Beast76

But it's so satisfying to declare it publicly.
If you’ve got the secret to how to get an updated firmware - beta or not - that may fix the boot loop, please give me a contact. I’ll reach out in a heartbeat - just sent me a DM.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
But it's so satisfying to declare it publicly.

Looks like your ignore lists is the place to be.
Please post a list so we can make make a support group? :p

- Rich

MakeMineVinyl

Major Contributor
If you’ve got the secret to how to get an updated firmware - beta or not - that may fix the boot loop, please give me a contact. I’ll reach out in a heartbeat - just sent me a DM.
Have you called ATI customer service recently?

Sal1950

Grand Contributor
The Chicago Crusher
Forum Donor

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As a happy HTP-1 owner, I am sad to see the lack of availability eliminating this as a choice for other consumers.

Ditto - I wish there was a little more transparency about future availability.

I have had 2 instances of the "boot loop" which were frustrating at first, but once you have the recovery process figured out, it's an easy fix to get the unit back up and running. The software updates/patches have greatly reduced the incidence of boot loops, but not entirely eliminated them (I have had 1 boot loop after the supposed software "fix").

I’m perhaps less tolerant of the boot loop issue. It’s an audio box not a windows pc! That said, I don’t think I’ve had a doom loop since last July when everyone’s HTP-1 seems to have temporarily spazzed out. I could be repressing the memory though.

Regarding SINAD, I have found no audible difference on my unit by varying the output voltage settings between 101dB SINAD and 97dB. That's also listening in a space designed and built for a low noise floor/ ~NC-20 FWIW.

If memory serves you’re also using rather high sensitivity speakers.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What firmware version are you running?

multisport4me

I have one, it is stable and has been stable the entire time. Only minor issue was a random restart, but that was right after I left the Dirac setup and hasn't ever happened again.

There has been a lot of "conspiracy" by others about wifi/ethernet being the cause of the "new" bootloop that only a few are experiencing, it seems to be different from the original bootloop. The conspiracy is how the wifi/ethernet connection is handled if you have both active and how it decides which one to use or not use, etc. Above my paygrade though in understanding that networking startup protocol.

Overall I love mine and wouldn't go back to something else.

Conspiracy? LOL There is speculation on avsforum that an apparent issue with the IP network stack and how its implemented on the HTP-1 could be a cause for the boot loop. Some disagree. Most confirm that there is an issue with DHCP. Many use a static IP address and have stable units. Whether any of that is related to the boot loop seems unlikely. But a conspiracy? No conspiracy. Just speculating what could be the cause since the manufacturer seems to have no interest in helping finding a root cause and fixing the issues.

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Conspiracy? LOL There is speculation on avsforum that an apparent issue with the IP network stack and how its implemented on the HTP-1 could be a cause for the boot loop. Some disagree. Most confirm that there is an issue with DHCP. Many use a static IP address and have stable units. Whether any of that is related to the boot loop seems unlikely. But a conspiracy? No conspiracy. Just speculating what could be the cause since the manufacturer seems to have no interest in helping finding a root cause and fixing the issues.
Sorry, poor word choice on my part. I couldn't think of a better word at the time, hence the parenthesis around the word.

Speculating is the word I should have chosen, thank you for clearing that up.

RichB

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I’m perhaps less tolerant of the boot loop issue. It’s an audio box not a windows pc! That said, I don’t think I’ve had a doom loop since last July when everyone’s HTP-1 seems to have temporarily spazzed out. I could be repressing the memory though.

I believe it is a Linux based system.
There have been posts that boot-loop is related to power loss when in standby and that cold boot reduces the window of opportunity (for power loss).

- Rich

Top Bottom