• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice HTP-1 Home Theater Processor Review

hansik

Well, indeed they don't care for the specs, it's a privilege they don't really have. ;)

The case of nad, with so many problems and bugs!
They just don't work!

I have a Nad T758 v3. Mine was one of the first ones delivered and I had the HDMI card to be replaced, but otherwise worked very well. True, not as bugfree as D&M, but otherwise a very good receiver with Dirac for 1300usd.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

mant

I am! The beauty of the SDP-55 is support for Dante. This audio over IP transport will allow users to bypass the internal DACs/analog stage. Most will use it to go direct digital to the DSP inside of active speaker amplifiers. Rumor is that Dante is coming to the Trinnovs as well.

I am using S/PDIF to my active front L/R with the Trinnov Altitude 16. The Altitude 32 supports up to 16 channels output via AES3 (so up to 48 ch total).
Dante is good, but isn't AVB better? It transmits sound and image and there are no problems with latency.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
"Good" as in sounded much better than my Denon, because of Dirac.
Later came the review...

I have a Pioneer Elite SC-LX801 9.2 AVR with Pioneer’s MCACC (Multi-Channel Acoustic Calibration System) that I believe sounds good although it may not measure well. I’ve thought about replacing it with an NAD T 777 V3 to get Dirac.

Martin

markus

Addicted to Fun and Learning

digicidal

Major Contributor
It's always overestimated the total cost of a decent immersive multichannel setup...

Yes, it is expensive, but not necessarily 6 figures.

Neumann 80's are incredible speakers and the cost of 11 of them is quite low.
Also the cost of 4 Neumann sub's is quite low.

An immersive setup with these Neumann speakers, will be more than satisfying, i suppose a breathtaking experience, if you have a well treated room.

You can also try even cheaper active speakers than these Neumann's, for example the adam a7x or even fluid audio coaxial 8" active speakers.

You can find 11 decent speakers at a quite low budget, much lower than a pair of JBL M2, maybe even lower than just one M2, isn't that great? And Dr Floyd Toole's suggestions include that if you are using many speakers, they don't have to be as excellent as they need to be, if they are only two of them available, in a good old stereo setup. ;)

I wonder if that statement is valid to electronics associated with multichannel setups, and i strongly suspect from my experience that it does. ;)

If you try to get the JBL processor instead of monoprice, so that you can use the digital outputs of all 16 channels, which is a very good idea, you have to add the cost of 16 channels of DAC's, don't forget this.
So, the difference in cost is quite noticeable, i suppose it will cost more than double the cost of the monoprice option.

This means, that indeed the monoprice is very cheap for what it is offering. I can understand that many of you see the 4.000 category as "the out of budget" dream, of maybe you set this price by definition to "high end audio", but this is not the case.
That's not an over-estimation as much as a practical reality (at least in my case, and I suspect in many). I'm not speaking of simply throwing a processor and speakers into a room - that can be done much more cheaply... I find my older (now secondary) 5.1 setup with just Focal Birds and a Denon AVR to be decently immersive... and the total price for everything was under $5K (they were all closeouts). However, that's not the target demographic for a dedicated, balanced output, prepro either - unless I've seriously misjudged the market.

If you already have a dedicated and treated space, or are looking to convert an existing loft, garage, etc. into one... then the $2K or so between this and the JBL will easily get lost in the bucket of receipts... at least that's been my experience. If you do everything yourself and are on a very tight budget - then perhaps this processor is exactly the sort of thing you would want. I'd question how many of those there are in reality - on this site possibly even a majority - in the general population I'd say it's just statistical noise however.

The biggest question for me isn't the performance over the 16 channels in a surround sound presentation... it has much more to do with purposeful use of the space. If I have to continue having a separate 2 channel setup for music... then the additional advantages start to diminish significantly. Enough so that I'm likely to just stick with what I have. As much as I like new gear and like watching movies... I'm still 90% music (or more possibly)... so although I can accept 8 cheap speakers... the front 2 (well 3) and the subs need to be where the most money goes.

I've waited more than 6 years so far... even my 8801 was just a stop-gap because Emotiva couldn't even get their Dirac enabled processor out the door in two years. If there weren't compromises outside of terrible aesthetics and questionable durability (IMO at least) - the HTP-1 seems like a perfect solution. But if there are fewer compromises for ~50% more cost (JBL SDP-55) then that's well worth waiting in my case - paying 400-800% more for a Trinnov however isn't. ;)

I've got a closet full of "budget solutions" to various audio and video "problems" - all mostly just lacking that one feature/connection or having that one quirk/issue which relegated them to obscurity. Most of that was due to a lack of income at the time... thankfully that's no longer a concern. Doesn't mean I'm in a rush to waste money... but also doesn't mean that saving $2K is worth it if it means having to start shopping again in a couple years. Of course, I don't mind watching movies in 2.1 in my den either... so maybe that skews my perspective more than average.

A/V Analysis

You are wrong in this.
Is is much more capable than hdmi in audio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

You can visit vesa for full specs of version 2.

In the old 1.4 version, you can have 32 channels of audio.

Copyright protection is probably the only hdmi advantage for Hollywood.
Damn, what a missed opportunity! I forgot to mention how much I despise the HDMI interface connectors. Since we are stuck with this, why couldn't they at least implement some style of locking connector?

digicidal

Major Contributor
You are wrong in this.
Is is much more capable than hdmi in audio.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/DisplayPort

You can visit vesa for full specs of version 2.

In the old 1.4 version, you can have 32 channels of audio.

Copyright protection is probably the only hdmi advantage for Hollywood.
This. I'm quite disappointed it's not being employed in at least a few models... even just having a monitor out in DP would be better - and would allow for connection to every potential display... including computer monitors which are usually faster and more color-accurate (out of the box at least) than almost any consumer TV. Of course, they're also significantly more expensive... so it's a chicken and egg scenario I guess.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wish somebody would send an Outlaw Model 976 Processor to Amir so he could test it. The Outlaw power amps seem to test well. Seems like they care about their product's performance. Also helps the 976 is under $1000.

An Outlaw 976 prepro and a miniDSP DDRC-88A with the DDRC-88BM software plugin would be a SOTA 7.2 DIRAC front end for right at $2000 or half the price of the Monoprice HTP-1. I'd love to see how the Outlaw measures. Add an Outlaw model 7000x for a 7.2 130 watt per channel SOTA DIRAC AVR for $3000!

I have no need for Atmos / height channels in my 7.2 family room home theater.

Martin

Dj7675

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
An Outlaw 976 prepro and a miniDSP DDRC-88A with the DDRC-88BM software plugin would be a SOTA 7.2 DIRAC front end for right at $2000 or half the price of the Monoprice HTP-1. I'd love to see how the Outlaw measures. Add an Outlaw model 7000x for a 7.2 130 watt per channel SOTA DIRAC AVR for $3000!

Martin
It could work for some, but not for those wanting atmos. Also, I think I remember some complaints regarding noise with the DDRC-88A.

audioBliss

I was sure I read on Monoprices' website that this would not support 230V but reading again now it says that it does! This is quite interesting!

TimoJ

I was sure I read on Monoprices' website that this would not support 230V but reading again now it says that it does! This is quite interesting!
It has always said 100-240V, and in the user manual also. Their support has posted there a message saying that it won't work with 230V but that's false information.

TimoJ

Martin
DDRC-88A is over 5 years old platform and hardly SOTA. It requires extra A-D/D-A stage and the end result has much lower SNR and worse THD than for example HTP-1. It's also missing Dirac 2 (it may come someday) and probably will never get Dirac BM.

database

Martin
DDRC-88A is over 5 years old platform and hardly SOTA. It requires extra A-D/D-A stage and the end result has much lower SNR and worse THD than for example HTP-1. It's also missing Dirac 2 (it may come someday) and probably will never get Dirac BM.

Agreed, measurements of the Outlaw wouldn't matter in this instance because the miniDSP would be the limiting factor. Removing the miniDSP DDRC-88A from my chain and moving to the HTP-1 resulted in audible improvement.

I think for multichannel processors where Dirac is top priority, and it should be as I don't consider Audyssey in the same league, the only options to consider right now are NAD AVRs or the HTP-1, or wait and see how the upcoming JBLs perform. I'm not aware of any options in between the NAD and the HTP-1; Arcam and Emotiva processors still seem to be buggy and/or missing Dirac, and the multichannel miniDSP always requires an extra A-D/D-A conversion.

Edit: Maybe the upcoming NAD T778 will be the best offering in between the current NADs and the HTP-1. Hopefully it will get measured.

Last edited:

audioBliss

It has always said 100-240V, and in the user manual also. Their support has posted there a message saying that it won't work with 230V but that's false information.

Yes, that's where I got that information but I'm also pretty sure the specification on their website said 110V. But all of that doesn't matter now. What matters is that the support is there :) Very good news.

---

I run ncore nc400 monoblocks for LCR and hopefully in the future something like Nord 8 channel ncore amp for the rest. All these only require 2V to drive to max via XLR from what I can see so in at least my case the HTP-1 would perform really well - correct? Or does the XLR in it self mean I'd need 4 volts? I'm a bit confused.

Last edited:

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the upcoming NAD T778 will be the best offering in between the current NADs and the HTP-1. Hopefully it will get measured.

The NAD T 778 looks perfect. 9-channels of amplification equals my Pioneer receiver so I can continue bi-amplifying my front speakers. Unfortunately the NAD T 758 V3's measurements were dismal.

Martin

TimoJ

The NAD T 778 looks perfect. 9-channels of amplification equals my Pioneer receiver so I can continue bi-amplifying my front speakers. Unfortunately the NAD T 758 V3's measurements were dismal.

Martin
And the T758 V3 also had lots of software issues that finally are all(?) solved. So is it the same story again with the T778? And who is going to debug it, maybe they should send one to Markus, free of charge :)

database

Martin

For the T758V3 it depends on your volume/voltage requirements. The measurements seem fine if you don't exceed -6 dB on the volume control, and I wasn't anywhere near that when I was auditioning it at comfortable listening volumes. The T778 having RCA out only rather than XLR made it a non-starter for me, but depending on the measurements it could be a great value. It certainly has potential, especially with the included NCore amplification.

I run ncore nc400 monoblocks for LCR and hopefully in the future something like Nord 8 channel ncore amp for the rest. All these only require 2V to drive to max via XLR from what I can see so in at least my case the HTP-1 would perform really well - correct? Or does the XLR in it self mean I'd need 4 volts? I'm a bit confused.

I'm running basically that exact amp setup - NC400 monoblocks for LCR, another NC400 stereo configuration, and Nord 252MP x4 (8ch) for a total of 13 amplified main channels. I run the HTP-1 with its amp sensitivity setting at 2V and this lets me reach my preferred listening volume at around -10 dB on the volume control for most content, which seems ideal.

Last edited:

OverTheAir

That's not an over-estimation as much as a practical reality (at least in my case, and I suspect in many). I'm not speaking of simply throwing a processor and speakers into a room - that can be done much more cheaply... I find my older (now secondary) 5.1 setup with just Focal Birds and a Denon AVR to be decently immersive... and the total price for everything was under $5K (they were all closeouts). However, that's not the target demographic for a dedicated, balanced output, prepro either - unless I've seriously misjudged the market.
Your perspective of home theater costs and what matters is of course a perfectly valid position to take but I've bolded where my view and I suspect many others differ. I don't recall reading anyone considering the HTP-1 primarily for a dedicated, balanced output, prepro. They are buying it primarily for 16-channels and Dirac, for home theater use. What they also want is fuss free, solid operation (especially with HDMI) as others have noted, not perpetual problem solving. They also get Auro-3D and Roon if they care about those. Given Emotiva's challenges, the combination of these factors makes HTP-1 the most affordable aka cheapest entry point so far for this. Whether customers should buy before promised features are available is certainly debatable, but the platform also plans to offer Dirac BM, an upgrade path to HDMI 2.1 and possibly DTS-X Pro.

$4k is a significant amount of money for many making a jump to this level. I am often amazed how much some buyers seem to over extend themselves financially when making consumer electronics purchases (emergency fund be damned ;)), so an extra 50% or $2k is a serious increase in price for them. That $2k could buy 15 channels of amplification (3x Outlaw 5000), or go a long way towards say an Epson 5050 projector or LG OLED, or 6x Ascend Audio speakers or 4x 12" subs from Ascend. Also many only incrementally change their equipment due to budget constraints, so each step has to be affordable for them.

Just my 2c.

Top Bottom