• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Flat Adhesive Super Slim Speaker Wires... what's your view, is it a decent cable? The idea isn't totally stupid.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Rick "who uses 12-gauge wire just because" Denney

I ran 10-guage (45 ft run, Belden) for my system, and I feel all the more manly for it.

rdenney

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I ran 10-guage (45 ft run, Belden) for my system, and I feel all the more manly for it.
If you carry around a very big roll of #10, you will have earned that manly feeling.

Rick "just recently wired an Ag building with a number of 30-amp circuits requiring hauling around 250-foot rolls of 10-gauge Romex" Denney

pjug

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
For something approaching 12 AWG just use two pairs of strips, one on top of the other if you'd like.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If you carry around a very big roll of #10, you will have earned that manly feeling.

Rick "just recently wired an Ag building with a number of 30-amp circuits requiring hauling around 250-foot rolls of 10-gauge Romex" Denney

I spent years coiling and hauling miles of Seaway cabling while working for a movie production equipment company, then later as a grip and electric on set. I must have earned my 10 points Man Card by then :)

(Though I've likely squandered some of those hard earned man points on a recent obsession with ABBA...)

solderdude

Grand Contributor

LOL... now one can make an Isolda cable for peanuts.
No reason to buy this anymore when you can make your own with this cable.
Just fold, put a thin isolator between it, a nice sleeve and solder some ends on it (don't forget the Boucherot filter and obligatory inductor.
Send it to @amirm and he can compare it to the real Isolda cable he still has lying around for a review ;) :D

escksu

Addicted to Fun and Learning
For something approaching 12 AWG just use two pairs of strips, one on top of the other if you'd like.

Yes, very old news indeed. :) Thus did I say "you know what they did when they discovered CAT5..." ;)
Full disclosure, I used a couple of much (much) simpler CAT5 recipes for loudspeaker cabling for a year or two ca. 20 years ago myself.

I also used some enamel-insulated 18-ga single conductor magnet wire -- someone does actually sell such stuff as speaker cabling. :)
(I didn't buy them, though).

I've never used any flat cables -- although I will note that way, way back in the early days of massmarket hifi, even equipment manufacturers suggested the use of (flat) 300 ohm twinlead antenna cable (once the staple of VHF TV antenna hookups) for (short) runs that had to go under carpeting. :)

Found thos article... Yes, i remember reading back then!!

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
There's been plenty of flat speaker cables before for sure.

Maybe you could hook up a Krell power amp and use it for under floor heating. ;)

Top Bottom