• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Budget $99 12-inch Powered Subwoofer Review

Willem

Major Contributor
Well done indeed. There is more to subwoofers than reproducing nuclear explosions.

LBec

I read through this thread and the one that was previously closed about cheap subwoofer comparisons. I also looked at the google spreadsheets. I am looking at all of this and still finding it hard to figure out which inexpensive subwoofer makes sense for me. I want something reliable that I don't have to play with too much to fill in the musical range (rock and classical music) from around 40 or 50Hz to 100Hz. Also a subwoofer that is on the smallish size (eg, cubic foot). I have OK bookshelf speakers for 100Hz and above, not too big a room, not too loud. I got a Klipsch RS-12SW on sale at Costco if I want something big and loud for movies. Looking for something that sounds good, not just over the top bass.

I have toyed with the idea of building my own with the Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer because it seems to have decent specs in the frequency range I want (and decent reviews) and could be fitted to a 1 cubic foot box however, I really do not want to go through the trouble of building something if I can get something in the $100 to $150 range that will do as well. As someone mentioned on the previous thread, finishing a speaker box can be more than half the work.

leeroy 85032

I read through this thread and the one that was previously closed about cheap subwoofer comparisons. I also looked at the google spreadsheets. I am looking at all of this and still finding it hard to figure out which inexpensive subwoofer makes sense for me. I want something reliable that I don't have to play with too much to fill in the musical range (rock and classical music) from around 40 or 50Hz to 100Hz. Also a subwoofer that is on the smallish size (eg, cubic foot). I have OK bookshelf speakers for 100Hz and above, not too big a room, not too loud. I got a Klipsch RS-12SW on sale at Costco if I want something big and loud for movies. Looking for something that sounds good, not just over the top bass.

I have toyed with the idea of building my own with the Dayton Audio SD215A-88 8" DVC Subwoofer because it seems to have decent specs in the frequency range I want (and decent reviews) and could be fitted to a 1 cubic foot box however, I really do not want to go through the trouble of building something if I can get something in the $100 to $150 range that will do as well. As someone mentioned on the previous thread, finishing a speaker box can be more than half the work.
the truth is: most aren't good... jump up to the rsl speedwoofer ($400) and be happy(er)... jmo .. others will disagree

anon2k2

Forum Donor
the truth is: most aren't good... jump up to the rsl speedwoofer ($400) and be happy(er)... jmo .. others will disagree
I have an RSL Speedwoofer 10, and I'm really happy with it. Fully adjustable crossover and phase, and high-level and line inputs. I have no idea how it measures but it blends well into my system.

sweetchaos

Major Contributor
The Curator
I have an RSL Speedwoofer 10, and I'm really happy with it. Fully adjustable crossover and phase, and high-level and line inputs. I have no idea how it measures but it blends well into my system.
It was measured by Brent and CEA2010A results were posted, so we know it's performance relative to others.
I would like to see this unit measured by Erin as well, just to see the full spectrum of tests that Erin usually does. :D

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The new Emotiva Flex SE8 and SE12. Also I some more expensive options like the Kali WS-12, Genelec 7040a, and Dynaudio 9S. If you just want a HPF, something like this could do the trick. Another option is to step up to DSP solutions like the miniDSP stuff.
Nice but 100$ for that??!

Top Bottom