• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monoprice Blackbird Review (HDMI Audio Extractor)

Rate this HDMI Audio Extractor

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 16 12.4%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 47 36.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther

Votes: 53 41.1%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 13 10.1%

• Total voters

delta76

Major Contributor
So your alternative is to give up and use headphones?
Or use an AVR that supports HDMI 2.1, or use the headphone output that found on many monitors. you will either have to spend quite a lot money, or lose sound quality/channel. Pick your poison.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
You get to use something other than your TV’s speakers without investing in an AVR.
Thanks! I was wondering why you'd use one of these if you had an AVR. But I don't think the TV's I've seen have lacked audio output jacks ... is this just to get 8 channel vs 2 channel .... or are there really TV's without audio-out jacks?

Thanks for answering the basic questions. I won't belabor the subject any further than this question.

JanesJr1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Your old AVR or your sound system might not have HDMI input which is where this device could help. If you read this thread it was mentioned you can use this to feed your streamer like Chromecast to your stereo sound system
Got it, thank you!

jamescarter1982

so use case is for laptop without toslink but hdmi out to dac ? or chromecast to dac I wonder if you could stream YouTube from chromecast to dac without having a screen connected to save having the TV on . save some electric .
so laptop/cheap netbook (with hdmi) in sleep mode running jriver would allow you to stream spotify, give you dsp eq features and control the Spotify with your phone ..... actually pretty handy

respice finem

Major Contributor

respice finem

Major Contributor
like this?
https://www.amazon.de/dp/B0B55TXCLW/ref=emc_b_5_t
or

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Likely stupid HDMI
LOL to 'dumb and dumber'!
What are you going to call HDMI when v2.1 will enable advanced sound systems like Dolby Atmos?:facepalm:

diaolodoro

Out of many products, this is what I wanted to perform good. It would be very handy for a basic home theater surround for people with studio monitors or powered speakers.

yahrightthere

My be this one can help by the Topping or other DAC Toshlink problem connecting a TV.
What problem is that?
I have a EX5 connected from my TV via fiber optical with no problems.
Did I miss reports on problems connecting toslink to Topping products?

iMickey503

Forum Donor
You know where this device would be perfect? Projectors.
outdoorprojector.jpg

Set up an Old High Power DVI input only Projector, you got from Ebay, and use this $30 box with some Cheap AVR's you got used and you can throw shows like this in the park all day long and not worry about gear walking away or being damaged.
And to Boot? You have real 8 channels of audio to work with!
Pretty neat IMO. And no one is going to notice the lack of Sound Quality in this kind of venue.

In fact your limitation is going to be the speakers and ambient light more then the quality of the audio.

I don't see this MonoPrice item targeted towards the High end market. It's more of a thing for the rest of us that like to push and keep old gear humming along or adapting old gear to new device installs. I.E. The commercial installer market that works in conference rooms and that sort of thing.

Brianc

Anyone know of an HDMI extractor that has USB out?

Top Bottom