• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith by Monoprice Encore B6 Bookshelf Speaker

Muelli

the shape of the waveguide looks quite promising, like a Buchardt, Amphion, Arendal and older Genelec but in the low price segment, like the Behringer Truth B2031 (which existed in both passive and active versions).
While the B2030P/B2031P disappeared from the market, the B2030A/B2031A are still available from Thomann.

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
While the B2030P/B2031P disappeared from the market, the B2030A/B2031A are still available from Thomann.
Yes, the passive ones measured not as nice and the actives being so cheap guess they also didn't sell well, so I can understand that decision.

mightycicadalord

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Yes, the passive ones measured not as nice and the actives being so cheap guess they also didn't sell well, so I can understand that decision.

I prefer the passive version, mostly because the internal volume is different. You'd think they'd be the same but they're not. I had both in front of me and measure the distance from the inside of the baffle to the rear and it's shorter on the active model. Behringer told me they are the same, but considering the last pair I bought said 5.25" woofers on the box, I don't think they have any idea whats in these speakers lol.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure how much of this is speculation but it was mentioned that Claridy Audio may have been involved with Monoprice's THX speakers so they may have also had a hand in the new Encore series. Claridy is also said to have been involved with Arendal speakers which could help explain the similar waveguide. Claridy has also done work for Perlisten Audio so they seem to be a quality organization. Perlisten CEO Dan Roemer was previously VP Audio Products at InterSource OEM which is aligned with Claridy Audio. Small world.
The guy behind Monolith confirmed Dan Roemer designed these, who yes also designed the spreaders for Perlisten (his company), Arendal (all models?), and XTZ (their cinema line).

adam2434

The guy behind Monolith confirmed Dan Roemer designed these, who yes also designed the spreaders for Perlisten (his company), Arendal (all models?), and XTZ (their cinema line).
Yep, he also designed the Monolith THX speakers.

His involvement with the Encore series bodes well.

As a side note, he was also with MiTek, where he was involved with the DCM TP and TFE series from around 2006. These speakers got some love on AVS a couple years ago when new old stock was being sold on eBay for dirt cheap prices. I use a pair of TFE100 floorstanders in my garage and also have a pair of TFE60 standmounts that I don't use and will give to one of my kids someday.

bravomail

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Joe N Tell review with measurements
Good speakers, but I have 2 problems with them at my house - no shelf for my right speaker, and for the same price u can get JBL Stage 170 towers. Let's wait for Amir measurements. Or just go and buy them before they r sold out and price-marked.

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Center channel says Vented MDF cabinet...

...where? Must be a typo on the page.

1637296693123.png

Last edited:

Dennis Murphy

Major Contributor
Technical Expert
Very interested in seeing how this speaker measures. Thanks for getting one, Amir!
Guess I won't have to send Amir the one unit I have. I have definite opinions about it and have done extensive measurements, but I didn't learn much about the one thing I was most interested in--the wave guide. If a speaker measures very well with a wave guide--like the ELAC DBR-62--but still doesn't sound right to me, I can pretty much conclude that it's the wave guide that's bothering me (but maybe no one else--just my personal opinion). In this case, there were some frequency response issues in the on-axis response on out to 30 degrees, after which things smoothed out. So i wasn't sure what was responsible for what--the crossover? the tweeter? the wave guide? I'm looking forward to Amir's measurements and reactions. it will be a good test of whether we're really on the same wave length.

Top Bottom