• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith by Monoprice Encore B6 Bookshelf Speaker

ctbarker32

Could be interesting for Amir to test. You can order just one for $179. Wave guide looks the business.

431501.jpg

heraldo_jones

They look very nice, similar to the Buchardt. Maybe someone in USA could check them or even send a pair to amirm to measure them.

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
If the shown measurements

43150_06.jpg

are reliable they also show a decent, rather dark tuning, would like to see of course the off-axis/directivity but the shape of the waveguide looks quite promising, like a Buchardt, Amphion, Arendal and older Genelec but in the low price segment, like the Behringer Truth B2031 (which existed in both passive and active versions).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
If the shown measurements

43150_06.jpg

are reliable they also show a decent, rather dark tuning, would like to see of course the off-axis/directivity but the shape of the waveguide looks quite promising, like a Buchardt, Amphion, Arendal and older Genelec but in the low price segment, like the Behringer Truth B2031 (which existed in both passive and active versions).
To my eyes, the 103x waveguide doesn't look like those other's, it doesn't have such an exponential shape. Anyway, I agree that it looks extremely promising; hope it won't be like the Presonus Eris XT, with the perfect waveguide but horrible everything else.

More Dynamics Please

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Just read on AVS Forum where a Monoprice spokesman verified the published spec that the B6's 6.5" woofer crosses over to the 1" silk dome tweeter at just 1.2kHz. I don't recall seeing any other speaker crossing to any 1" dome tweeter as low as 1.2kHz so that will make for some interesting measurements.

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)

napilopez

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Just read on AVS Forum where a Monoprice spokesman verified the published spec that the B6's 6.5" woofer crosses over to the 1" silk dome tweeter at just 1.2kHz. I don't recall seeing any other speaker crossing to any 1" dome tweeter as low as 1.2kHz so that will make for some interesting measurements.

The D&D 8C actually crosses a 1-inch dome tweeter to its 8-inch woofer at 1.25 kHz, although of course, those are surely much higher-end drivers. Otherwise the amphion series comes to mind, albeit not quite as low, at 1.6 khz. The benefit of the low crossover in these cases is significantly better vertical directivity than most 2-ways.

Will definitely be interesting to see data.

More Dynamics Please

Not sure how much of this is speculation but it was mentioned that Claridy Audio may have been involved with Monoprice's THX speakers so they may have also had a hand in the new Encore series. Claridy is also said to have been involved with Arendal speakers which could help explain the similar waveguide. Claridy has also done work for Perlisten Audio so they seem to be a quality organization. Perlisten CEO Dan Roemer was previously VP Audio Products at InterSource OEM which is aligned with Claridy Audio. Small world.

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I like the attenuated bass. Should work well with subs.

More Dynamics Please

The D&D 8C actually crosses a 1-inch dome tweeter to its 8-inch woofer at 1.25 kHz, although of course, those are surely much higher-end drivers. Otherwise the amphion series comes to mind, albeit not quite as low, at 1.6 khz. The benefit of the low crossover in these cases is significantly better vertical directivity than most 2-ways.

Will definitely be interesting to see data.

I wasn't familiar with the D&D 8C. The previous low crossover to a 1" dome tweeter that I was aware of was 1.5kHz for all the Arendal speakers that use a similar waveguide to the B6. I wonder if it's this particular waveguide design that allows what might be assumed to be a fairly inexpensive 1" silk dome tweeter to play down to 1.2kHz in the Monoprice? I suppose it only matters if the B6 measures well and sounds good.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
Not yet listed on Monoprice UK or EU….. I’m going to keep a close eye on these. Thanks @amirm for ordering one!

joe'n'tell had an interview with someone from Monoprice on their AV summit, i remember him saying they were on their way and should be over here by the end of the year

Vict0r

Here's an Arendal, to show the similarities in design;

1636161532127-png.3193980

adam2434

Very interested in seeing how this speaker measures. Thanks for getting one, Amir!

Trouble Maker

It seems like there is a whole line; also towers and center. Could be interesting!

Is 1.5khz low enough to alleviate the issues of a 2 way MTM center? Center-to-center spacing seems more difficult (further apart) due to the space taken by the waveguide.

Edit: Also is the combination of seemingly low sensitivity and impedance a concern? Seems like they could be difficult to drive, but I'm not knowledgeable enough to say definitively.
They are all rated at 4 ohms and they all dip to 3-3.5 at some point (around 100hz-a few hundred hz). B6 (bookshelf) is rated at 85dB, T6 (tower) and C6 (center) just under 88dB.

Last edited:

DBA ndreas

I asked about availability in Europe. They told me:

The product is not certified for the EU market and there are currently no plans to sell it here. However, we are getting more and more enquiries for various US products and will sit down again soon and make new plans for new products for the EU market.

:-(

adam2434

I asked about availability in Europe. They told me:

The product is not certified for the EU market and there are currently no plans to sell it here. However, we are getting more and more enquiries for various US products and will sit down again soon and make new plans for new products for the EU market.

:-(
If you mean the Encore series in the EU, a Monoprice employee said they are coming to the EU in this AVS post:
https://www.avsforum.com/threads/ne...rs-now-available.3221799/page-3#post-61162794

Top Bottom