• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monolith 788 is not serving me as a preamp - need an optical DAC+Preamp for my speakers

Dreamslayer

I got the Monolith THX 788 DAC/Amp for Christmas and it's been working great as a headphone amp on my computer desk.

I've also been using it as a speaker preamp for about 3 months and while it works, it's far from ideal.

It's a pain to switch from HP to line out, there tends to be a volume mismatch and the EQ settings are usually not appropriate for both HP and speakers.

I'd like to get something about the same size that would be a good match with the Monolith amp.

Source:
PC (optical) and CD player (optical).
I have an optical matrix switch and would prefer to keep everything optical for simplicity
(one audio source from the PC and I can easily switch sources and output device which I do often)

Speaker system:
Emotiva BasX A-100
SVS SB12-NSD (I'm using the built in crossover/80Hz HPF)
KEF LS50 speakers

The Yamaha WXC50 has the basic features I need - it's kind of an older device now but I like that I'm not paying for an HPA or power amp I won't use
The Marantz HD DAC 1 also looks good although I would be paying for another good HPA that I would probably not use
The Project Pre Box S2 also looks good - Amazon reviews say some of them fall apart, but who knows.
The D50s seems like the best feature set (I'd like to have bluetooth) and would sit on the Monolith, not sure I like a joystick for volume control though
The DX75 seems like it would be a nice match with the Monoprice, but again, it's paying for a lot of features I wouldn't use.

Diagram attached for the more visual oriented:
Monolith System Map.png

Hoping for some suggestions / recommendations.
(I'm new here so I hope this is in the right place)

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What's your budget?

The RME ADI-2 DAC keeps separate volume levels, EQ, profiles, etc for each output which would work if you replace the Monolith with the RME's headphone amps.

OP
Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

What's your budget?

The RME ADI-2 DAC keeps separate volume levels, EQ, profiles, etc for each output which would work if you replace the Monolith with the RME's headphone amps.

Prefer to stay in the $500 range and keep the Monolith, but I'm open minded and I don't have a hard cap on the budget.

KimbaWLion

Pretty sure this will do what you want and a whole heck of lot more... They make a tube version too but I it costs more..
Should I have posted something wrong maybe I miss read your needs. But give this a look!
Schiit Freya S

OP
Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

Pretty sure this will do what you want and a whole heck of lot more... They make a tube version too but I it costs more..
Should I have posted something wrong maybe I miss read your needs. But give this a look!
Schiit Freya S

The Freya S is a cool preamp, but it's not going to work for me:

1. Too big
2. Not a DAC
3. Would require another device.

So $600 plus a DAC...

I appreciate the suggestion and if I just needed a pure preamp, this would be high on my list, but I need something that sits on my desk with the Monolith (or in place of it):

1586131641316.png

The RME ADI-2 is very compelling and would be a great replacement for the Monolith - I'm strongly considering it as a replacement.

KimbaWLion

Hum I should have looked at your diagram first :( but the way I saw it was once you inputted in the the pre-amp you could control out put to any device you wanted.... I liked the RME ADI-2 too BUT I did not want an amp/dac combo. I used USB from my computer to the my DAC, an SMSL D1 into a non powered balanced switch which goes out to to my Cavalli LQ2 and my powered speakers. But that is tapped out. I would need a Freya to add more or go totally optical. Sorry I was not much help and misread what you needed.

OP
Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

Hum I should have looked at your diagram first :( but the way I saw it was once you inputted in the the pre-amp you could control out put to any device you wanted.... I liked the RME ADI-2 too BUT I did not want an amp/dac combo. I used USB from my computer to the my DAC, an SMSL D1 into a non powered balanced switch which goes out to to my Cavalli LQ2 and my powered speakers. But that is tapped out. I would need a Freya to add more or go totally optical. Sorry I was not much help and misread what you needed.

Not at all, it was kind of you to offer a suggestion.

Well, here is my confession - I use speakers for music and headphones for gaming with very little overlap (maybe very casual gaming on speakers, but I mostly play intense FPS games)

You would think that the Monolith is overkill for gaming, but it's the first amp that's really given me the clarity I've wanted (previously just used gaming sound cards and USB cards). The pre-outs to the speakers are exceptionally clear as well, I have no sonic issues with the setup.

But I do have a UMIK-1 and would like to play with the room acoustics more (but not get too crazy) and the way the RME basically behaves like two separate devices with separate settings for each output stage and lots of presets is extremely appealing.

I was on their site last night and had one in the cart - I selected paypal - trying to check tax and shipping and thought I had another confirmation screen, but it just placed the order. I wasn't really quite ready and I actually sent them an email to request a cancellation - maybe they will cancel, maybe they won't, I'm kind of leaving it to chance at this point - it's a lot of money, but it's also pretty much exactly what I want and by the time I sell the Monolith, the incremental cost won't be much more than the other options I was considering.

So I guess I'll see what happens - I know that sounds weird, I still feel weird about it, not sure what else to say.

Last edited:
OP
Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

Very nice setup!

My desk is such a mess in comparison.

Thanks!

It does get messy - I just don't take pictures of that :)

I spoke with RME, they were great and canceled my accidental order. I'll probably end up getting one in the months ahead, but it seems prudent to wait and see how the economy goes first.

Last edited:
OP
Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

I just realized that the BasX amp is a HP amp. I mean, I knew that, but I forgot because it sits on the sub under my desk.

20200406_113603.jpg

It would make switching HP to Speakers a lot easier, but after listening for a few minutes, something sounds off.
Then I remembered the signal going to the amp has an 80Hz high-pass filter from the sub - great for the speakers, not so great for the headphones :(

Scratch that.

Dana reed

The DX7s is reasonable for this purpose. There's no EQ control, so you'd have to do that from your source, but I use mine daily to switch between headphones and powered speakers. the (not included, but cheap to get) remote makes it easier to do this toggle if you switch back and forth alot. But in any case it's $499 on Amazon right now.

OP
Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

The DX7s is reasonable for this purpose. There's no EQ control, so you'd have to do that from your source, but I use mine daily to switch between headphones and powered speakers. the (not included, but cheap to get) remote makes it easier to do this toggle if you switch back and forth alot. But in any case it's $499 on Amazon right now.

It does look like a competent device and it's on my short list.

This is what I'm thinking now:

The Soncoz SGD1 is about the same price and I like the design as well as the USB-C and Bluetooth implementation - those are both compelling.

The other calculation is that if I'm going to add a $500 device, Maybe just sell my 788 and combine funds which puts me in striking range of the RME device.

While I could comfortably move in either direction, the current pandemic has me thinking I should just hold off for a while. I'm fortunate to be in a good place right now, but there is a lot of uncertainty and this project is born out of convenience and preference more than necessity.

Dana reed

It does look like a competent device and it's on my short list.

This is what I'm thinking now:

The Soncoz SGD1 is about the same price and I like the design as well as the USB-C and Bluetooth implementation - those are both compelling.

The other calculation is that if I'm going to add a $500 device, Maybe just sell my 788 and combine funds which puts me in striking range of the RME device.

While I could comfortably move in either direction, the current pandemic has me thinking I should just hold off for a while. I'm fortunate to be in a good place right now, but there is a lot of uncertainty and this project is born out of convenience and preference more than necessity.
Yes, if you're going to sell your 788, the RME certainly has more features and a better headphone output than the DX7s. I thought about getting one instead of the DX7s, but the headphones that I use at my work desk are 250 Ohm, so the 10 Ohm output impedance on the 1/4" jack isn't a problem for me.

yahrightthere

I just realized that the BasX amp is a HP amp. I mean, I knew that, but I forgot because it sits on the sub under my desk.

View attachment 57472

It would make switching HP to Speakers a lot easier, but after listening for a few minutes, something sounds off.
Then I remembered the signal going to the amp has an 80Hz high-pass filter from the sub - great for the speakers, not so great for the headphones :(

Scratch that.
I'm not sure what from what source the signal going to the amp has a 80Hz high-pass filter from the sub is you're talking about, is it going from the Emotiva BasX A-100 to the sub, & not sure how that would affect the headphone out from the Emotiva BasX A-100.
If you look at page 11 of the manual for the Emotiva BasX A-100, there is a jumper that can be placed that allows full power from the Emotiva BasX A-100 to the headphone out. You'd have to be careful with the volume level, however it should work fine, though I've read there is an audible hiss in the headphone when there is nothing playing & a slight channel imbalance at low levels.
I was also thinking of getting the Emotiva BasX A-100 but they were out of stock, so i recently got the Drop THX 789 & awaiting it's arrival. but think the Emotiva BasX A-100 is a better a value & a bit more versatile to fit my need better.
Another solution maybe the Topping DX7 Pro or the Topping A90.
I'm sure you'll figure it out & get what works & is right for you.

OP
Dreamslayer

Dreamslayer

I'm not sure what from what source the signal going to the amp has a 80Hz high-pass filter from the sub is you're talking about, is it going from the Emotiva BasX A-100 to the sub, & not sure how that would affect the headphone out from the Emotiva BasX A-100.
If you look at page 11 of the manual for the Emotiva BasX A-100, there is a jumper that can be placed that allows full power from the Emotiva BasX A-100 to the headphone out. You'd have to be careful with the volume level, however it should work fine, though I've read there is an audible hiss in the headphone when there is nothing playing & a slight channel imbalance at low levels.
I was also thinking of getting the Emotiva BasX A-100 but they were out of stock, so i recently got the Drop THX 789 & awaiting it's arrival. but think the Emotiva BasX A-100 is a better a value & a bit more versatile to fit my need better.
Another solution maybe the Topping DX7 Pro or the Topping A90.
I'm sure you'll figure it out & get what works & is right for you.

The high pass filter is built into the subwoofer and is before the amp in the signal chain so using the headphone jack on the Emotiva meant my headphones were missing bass.

Here is a system update: https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...-desktop-audio-setup.12057/page-5#post-402252

Last edited:
Top Bottom