• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mono, stereo, multi-channel

thefsb

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Mono is single channel.

Stereo is multi-channel.

Right?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
well, in my line of work, we use: mono (one), oligo (a few), poly (many) -- Greek prefixes.
e.g.,
monosaccharide
oligosaccharide
polysaccharide

That doesn't help at all, does it?

:cool:

Stereo is from the Greek for solid -- the goal of stereophonic reproduction was actually a three-dimensional recreation of a sound field!
(cf. stereo vision or stereochemistry)

The amusing fact is: most stereo recordings (at least in terms of "pop" music) for decades have been what I (and other folks) refer to as multi-track mono, where many different mics or amplifier feeds are recorded to separate 'tracks' (a vestige of analog tape recording, of course!). Some engineer or producer then mixes those multiple tracks together into a two-track master. What makes it amusing, to me, is when folks talk about the soundstage that they hear reproduced in these altogether artifactually assembled two-channel reproductions!

Sorry, this is just one of my many pet peeves nonlinearities.

There are true stereo recordings, but they're few and far between (and usually pretty astonishing, when properly reproduced).
And then there's the special case of binaural recordings for headphones :)
(not to mention Bob Carver's Sonic Holography and Matthew Polk's Stereo Dimensional Array)

Last edited:
OP
thefsb

thefsb

What's confusing is what appears to be use of "multi-channel" specifically to refer to something with more than two channels.

Dimifoot

Forum Donor
Mono/Stereo=oligochannel
:p

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Here's something I didn't expect:

Screenshot_20200221-233619~2.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor

Audioagnostic

It all went down the drain when quadraphonic recordings werd discontinued.

To avoid non existing confusion I will adopt the biomedical nomenclature from now on and will call my living room setup dichannel, trichannel if I decide to add a sub.

The home theater setup will be referred to as my pentachannel system.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
It all went down the drain when quadraphonic recordings werd discontinued.

To avoid non existing confusion I will adopt the biomedical nomenclature from now on and will call my living room setup dichannel, trichannel if I decide to add a sub.

The home theater setup will be referred to as my pentachannel system.
Quadraphonics is alive and well in my home system.

I party like it's 1975!

Like far out man.

http://www.thevintageknob.org/sony-SQD-2020.html

S.

mjwin

[...]The amusing fact is: most stereo recordings (at least in terms of "pop" music) for decades have been what I (and other folks) refer to as multi-track mono, where many different mics or amplifier feeds are recorded to separate 'tracks' (a vestige of analog tape recording, of course!). Some engineer or producer then mixes those multiple tracks together into a two-track master. What makes it amusing, to me, is when folks talk about the soundstage that they hear reproduced in these altogether artifactually assembled two-channel reproductions!
A.K.A. "Pan-pot stereo".
And the "imaging" is just the vocalist hanging on an invisible thread somewhere between the two speakers. A fun party trick & more noticeable when using very directional speakers IMO.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I think it's been nigh-on four decades since I listened to my purchased-new (vinyl) copy of Machine Head.
Might have to give that a spin some time soon(ish)...

Top Bottom