• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mono bass vs stereo digital room correction

Jas0_0

Forum Donor
Hi all,

Wonder if you could help.

I often see it recommended to apply DRC to each speaker individually. However, I always seem to get far flatter summed measured and better subjective results for bass frequencies by treating the stereo system as mono.

Presumably this is because in my asymmetrical room, one speaker’s dip is filled by the other’s peak, and I’m just left dealing with peaks in the sound as a whole.

It got me wondering what the rationale for treating low frequencies for each speaker individually might be, especially since the rule of thumb with mastering engineers seems to be making all bass frequencies mono - and since below a certain frequency we can’t perceive direction in bass notes.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

James

ppataki

Major Contributor
I am in the same boat, my living room has 6 corners and asymmetrical
I also noticed that I am better off correcting the low frequencies in mono (=applying the same correction to both the front speakers)
I am using Dirac Live 3
If I correct them separately the ringing increases significantly

kongwee

Major Contributor
I used to setup sub purely base on hearing. I got to listen extremely quiet cabinet sub. It was quite quite hard to heard and localised a sub. I got switch phase and crossover to bend in the system. It was Martin Login Depth which the design is not longer being made. I alway placed infront of the mains. Run song with bass guitar or double bass to tune in the sub.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
if there is only one listening position it shouldn't matter that much. if there more than one listening position then mono-bass should be more beneficial.

Top Bottom