• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitors up to 700 euros

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
Holy moly, that's not subtle if the difference is anywhere near as big as in this video. You did do the calibration as instructed in the manual (microphone at listening position, facing the ceiling)? (There are some problems with this approach if it's a full spectrum calibration which going by mic orientation it appears to be.) Have you tried them at factory default settings (do a reset if necessary)?

My hunch is that it might be the calibration that's screwing up things... I would want to verify what it is actually doing, which might be more easily said than done though. The supplied mic appears to be an ordinary phantom-powered XLR job so if you happen to have an audio interface and XLR mic cable you could take some nearfield measurements of both the F5s and the iLouds using REW.

The calibration as designed is likely to be problematic and would be magnifying any directivity errors plus imposing a fixed house curve (which may or may not match what you need). I would use listening position measurements for <500 Hz only, and go by windowed nearfield measurements to flatten out the response above that.

bloodshoteyed

Major Contributor
I checked the Focal Alpha 50 Evo, but I'm not sure if they have a better sound than the iLoud MTM or Kali In-5, but yes, it is one of the possible alternatives.
And as for the price of the Genelec 8020 DPM, its price is 436 €/piece in our country (Slovakia).

you should try pan-eu sites (which got at least local domains if not local dealers/warehouses), like "muziker" for isntance...or even thomman
only in rare cases completely local wil be cheaper
i did post a link in the eu master deals topic...the kali in-8 v1 are stil for sale there for 349€/piece which would be rith in your budget (ok, the price is w/o shipping tho)

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
I would definitely try listening to the MTM without the automatic EQ. Amir also had very poor results with it.

OP
E

engineer

When calibrating, I followed exactly the instructions. I also tried an uncalibrated mode, but then the bass was booming, inaccurate and uncorrected.
I admit that I am disappointed with these speakers, because for that price I expected more - at least better working calibration and clearer sound.
I'll try to "play" with the settings, but I don't expect the sound to meet my expectations. I'm probably not the target audience.

Walter

When calibrating, I followed exactly the instructions.
I was not trying to imply that you did not--I was suggesting that the built-in automatic calibration maybe just does not work very well.

Haruko

tbh i heard kali lp 6 next to presonus and jbl lsr 305... although presonus were a bit mid forward and jbl a bit shouty at least they had music in them... kali sounded like nothing .. actually there are videos comparing lp6 to other monitors and they sound exactly like i rememeber them ... dead

OP
E

engineer

I finally managed to "tune" the iLoud MTM and I like their sound. However, I found another problem. They emit a high-frequency squeaking (high-pitched) sound. It is their defect, which I read about on the Internet and the manufacturer could not remove it even after years. I'm sorry, but I'll have to return them.
So I'm at the beginning again. I would still try the Kali IN-5, but I don't mind their size... At a price of up to € 700 per pair, it is really very difficult to find speakers that have a pleasant and balanced sound and at the same time do not emit any noise, hiss or other high-frequency tone.

Haruko

Did you consider Focal Alpha 65 evo ?

dfuller

Major Contributor
Focal or Kali, as I said earlier.

OP
E

engineer

Yes, at first I considered Focal Alpha 50 and Kali IN-5 - bigger speakers will no longer fit on my desk and especially would be unsuitable for my listening distance. And I don't need Deep Bass either - my neighbors wouldn't like it :)
However, I read that the Focal Alpha 50 are of poor quality.

Haruko

you can buy alpha 50 from thomann and if you don't like them or they quality you can turn them back... as I did with Kali's.. also alpha 50 will sound different from alpha 50 evo's

OP
E

engineer

you can buy alpha 50 from thomann and if you don't like them or they quality you can turn them back... as I did with Kali's.. also alpha 50 will sound different from alpha 50 evo's
I'm sorry, I would try 50 EVO, of course.
Btw. which model from Kali did you try and didn't like?

Haruko

it was KALI LP 6 ... no matter how hard i would push them they would just sound anemic (not flat), i even tried to boost high end but it didn't help. I didn't try the new IN series so I can't be sure if they changed the sound

khark

I finally managed to "tune" the iLoud MTM and I like their sound. However, I found another problem. They emit a high-frequency squeaking (high-pitched) sound. It is their defect, which I read about on the Internet and the manufacturer could not remove it even after years. I'm sorry, but I'll have to return them.
So I'm at the beginning again. I would still try the Kali IN-5, but I don't mind their size... At a price of up to € 700 per pair, it is really very difficult to find speakers that have a pleasant and balanced sound and at the same time do not emit any noise, hiss or other high-frequency tone.

I can only hear a very slight hiss from them that is only detectable from about 20cms from my ears and even then it is not really annoying (had to check right now). It seems to me that it is possibly a signal chain problem, more specifically a ground loop :( You may need to get that balanced DAC after all.

Last edited:
OP
E

engineer

I can only hear a very slight hiss from them that is only detectable from about 20cms from my ears and even then it is not really annoying (had to get up and check right now). It seems to me that it is possibly a signal chain problem, more specifically a ground loop :( You may need to get that balanced DAC after all.
No no, it's not a ground loop, because I disconnected the XRL cable and the noise didn't stop. This noise which coming from the coil, somewhere from the top of the speaker, but you can also hear the noise from the back too).
Several owners complained about this problem at the official IK Multimedia forum: https://cgi.ikmultimedia.com/ikforum/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=27582

Btw. I also considering KRK V4S4. If anyone has personal experience with them, I would love to read them.

Last edited:

khark

Wow, it seems such a weird issue. Are you from Sweden too like the other people who had this problem?

Would refund them and move on to other speakers or try the voltage converter trick described in the thread if you still want to give them a chance.

Walter

Based on those forum posts, it appears to indeed be coil whine, and limited to locations that use 220-240 volt power, as is often the case. Sounds as if the company's response has been to basically deny there is a problem. Not good.

OP
E

engineer

Based on those forum posts, it appears to indeed be coil whine, and limited to locations that use 220-240 volt power, as is often the case. Sounds as if the company's response has been to basically deny there is a problem. Not good.
Exactly, I am from Slovakia and we have 230 V distribution. But this does not justify the company IK Multimedia, which in my opinion, sells low-quality products respectively it should also offer a version for the 230V market.
If I wanted to keep the speakers, I would have to buy a transformer from 230 to 110 V. But I don't like having an ugly box somewhere on the table (which can also make a high-pitched sound).

OP
E

engineer

I finally returned the iLoud MTM and (on the recommendation of several forum members) ordered the Kali IN-5. However, I must say that for the first listening they seemed quite "dry" or "flat" compared to the iLoud MTM. I don't know if it was mentioned in the review, but they really aren't suitable for "normal" listening to music on a PC, because they have a very "dry" sound.

On the other hand, I appreciate the quality of workmanship, DSP, solid bass and clear sound. I'll try to let them "play" and also adjust the settings and see how the sound changes.
Otherwise, all I have to do is try the Focal Alpha 50 EVO (I hope they don't have a flat sound) or return to the iLoud MTM with a 110V converter. :)

Walter

If you have room for the IN-5 then you can also fit the Adam Audio T5V. Those might be worth a try, also. I'd be really interested to hear your opinion of all 4 speakers, but hope you don't have to go to those lengths to find one you like!

Top Bottom