• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitors up to 700 euros

engineer

Hello,
after 4 (satisfied) years with Fluid F5 I am looking for a better replacement for them. I will use them for casual listening music (not for creating music), while my budget is max. 700 Euros/pair.
I have already tried Adam A5X, but my ears did not like them - I had a headache (probably due to the tweeter).
What would you recommend to me in a my budget? I prefer the size of a 5" woofer due to the listening distance (approx. 80 cm), minimal hissing and front bass-reflex, because the monitors will be located approx. 10 cm from the wall.
Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice.

Last edited:

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Only a 4 inch woofer, but it appears that a pair of Genelec 8020 are just under your price limit. There is also the iLoud MTM, whose total woofer area comes out to be the equivalent of just under a 5 inch woofer, I believe. These are my two top choices in your price range--whether they are best for you I have no idea.

Last edited:
OP
E

engineer

Only a 4 inch woofer, but it appears that a pair of Genelec 8020 are just under your price limit. There is also the iLoud MTM, whose total woofer are comes out to be the equivalent of just under a 5 inch woofer, I believe. These are my two top choices in your price range--whether they are best for you I have no idea.

Genelec are already (150 €) over budget.
While maintaining the condition of a maximum woofer size 5 inches (due to the listening distance of about 80 cm), either Kali IN-5 or (smaller but extremely praised) IK Multimedia iLOUD MTM will fit into my budget. Better models in this budget are probably no longer or am I wrong?

dfuller

Major Contributor
I would look into Focal Alpha 65 Evos or Alpha 50 Evos depending on space.

DeepShadow

Hello,
after 4 (satisfied) years with Fluid F5 I am looking for a better replacement for them. I will use them for casual listening music (not for creating music), while my budget is max. 700 Euros/pair.
I have already tried Adam A5X, but my ears did not like them - I had a headache (probably due to the tweeter).
What would you recommend to me in a my budget? I prefer the size of a 5" woofer due to the listening distance (approx. 80 cm), minimal hissing and front bass-reflex, because the monitors will be located approx. 10 cm from the wall.
Thanks to everyone for the tips and advice.
Dynaudio BM5 mkIII 740 euro for pair,here in Bulgaria...

Walter

Genelec are already (150 €) over budget.
Sorry. A quick search for "Genelec 8020 EU" showed them to be available for 344€ each, which is why I listed them, but I am not sure what country that was in, and you did not specify a country.

OP
E

engineer

I checked the Focal Alpha 50 Evo, but I'm not sure if they have a better sound than the iLoud MTM or Kali In-5, but yes, it is one of the possible alternatives.
And as for the price of the Genelec 8020 DPM, its price is 436 €/piece in our country (Slovakia).

HiFidFan

Forum Donor
Sorry. A quick search for "Genelec 8020 EU" showed them to be available for 344€ each, which is why I listed them, but I am not sure what country that was in, and you did not specify a country.

This is a nit pick of mine when poster(s) come for recommendations. Location needed!

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If you value having a coaxial, I'd get the Kali IN-8 V2 mentnoned if you can stand something with an 8" woofer, otherwise the IN-5 sounds the same to me nearfield. (Own both and have done a head to head comparison of the IN-8 V1 to the Genelec 8260... Extremely worth it to get the Kali unless you plan on expanding with additional Genelec monitors and using GLM and value that.

Walter

If you value having a coaxial, I'd get the Kali IN-8 V2 mentnoned if you can stand something with an 8" woofer, otherwise the IN-5 sounds the same to me nearfield. (Own both and have done a head to head comparison of the IN-8 V1 to the Genelec 8260... Extremely worth it to get the Kali unless you plan on expanding with additional Genelec monitors and using GLM and value that.
The in-5 sounds like a great suggestion. For some reason, I thought they were much more expensive. I read Erin's review and it definitely sounds like a very good alternative to the iLoud MTM if you don't need the super narrow footprint.

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The in-5 sounds like a great suggestion. For some reason, I thought they were much more expensive. I read Erin's review and it definitely sounds like a very good alternative to the iLoud MTM if you don't need the super narrow footprint.

Yeah, not going to beat the MTM for a narrow footprint. If you need it to be more movable/portable I'd go with that. Nothing size and price wise is going to get you that kind of performance. That being said, I think you'll get a lot more overhead from the Kali's and I'd be comfortable using either in a medium size living room. In my 14*16 living room, the IN-8 V2 goes louder than I'd ever use it, and two of the walls are open.

Although, Erin doesn't like that they limit and doesn't think they are great for uses other than nearfield it seems.

Weeb Labs

Have you considered the EVE Audio SC205? A pair of them would fit within your budget quite nicely and measurements are provided by the manufacturer. A spin would still be preferable, of course.

1631242028885.png

dfuller

Major Contributor
I checked the Focal Alpha 50 Evo, but I'm not sure if they have a better sound than the iLoud MTM or Kali In-5, but yes, it is one of the possible alternatives.
I'd say it's competitive with the IN-5 - the MTM is not competitive with either as it has a pretty hard level limit that the others don't.

hardisj

Major Contributor
Reviewer
Although, Erin doesn't like that they limit and doesn't think they are great for uses other than nearfield it seems.

I wouldn't go that far. I don't mind that they limit at all. It's just something people need to be aware of to keep expectations in check. I see people buy speakers and expect them to deliver 100dB at 12 feet, then go to the forums complaining. I try to manage expectations by testing for limiting and discussing how those results will translate to real-world use for varying listening levels at varying distances. :)

Last edited:

stevenswall

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I wouldn't go that far. I don't mind that they limit at all. It's just something people need to be aware of to keep expectations in check. I see people buy speakers and expect them to deliver 100dB at 12 feet, then go to the forums complaining. I try to manage expectations by testing for limiting and discussing how those results will translate to real-world use for varying listening levels at varying distances. :)

That makes sense. I wish everyone had an SPL meter and used the same rating... Then we could calculate if a speaker would go loud enough based on what they already listen to.

I'll have to re-read the review or maybe I got it from the video. For some reason I pick up on SPL not being satisfying for most speakers you review vs other reviewers, but maybe that's just because of the necessity of a warning for the people you mention on the forums.

OP
E

engineer

So in the end I decided for IK Multimedia iLoud MTM. Their sound is really good for their size and I also appreciate the automatic sound correction, but one thing bothers me - darker sound. I prefered crystal clear voice and crisp sound and iLoud MTM can not do that.
My opinion also supports this sound test:

Therefore, I will probably have to return them and choose a replacement that will give me a sound that I will like more (iLoud MTMs are probably well designed for mixing, but not so much for "hi-fi" listening).

Does anyone have a real comparison of the sound of iLoud MTM and (often recommended in this price range) Kali IN-5?

Top Bottom