• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitors up to 700 euros

OP
E

engineer

I generally agree that adjusting the EQ could help set the Focal´s frequency response. Therefore, I was looking for a more economical solution and I found a free program REW + miniDSP UMIK-1 (approx. 120 €). What do you say to this solution? Does anyone have experience with it?

I admit that due to one EQ setting I don't want to invest in expensive software + ADC + microphone + cables.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Therefore, I was looking for a more economical solution and I found a free program REW + miniDSP UMIK-1 (approx. 120 €). What do you say to this solution? Does anyone have experience with it?
I've shared some of my experiences with it (and compared to other solutions I tried) in this thread - perhaps you'll find it useful!
In my opinion, if you use the PC as the source, don't mind the usability aspects, and spend a bit of time to learn how to use it, measurement mic like UMIK + REW + Equalizer APO is as good as it gets for room correction.
There is a bit of a learning curve initially, though - but IMHO well worth it :)

Haruko

you could theoretically see the room modes with your cellphone with spectroid app., then try to adjust sine waves with EQ to level them with this app and apply it to E.APO (up to 100hz) and see if you like the results :D that would be the most insane way of doing sort of trial

Tim Link

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
you could theoretically see the room modes with your cellphone with spectroid app., then try to adjust sine waves with EQ to level them with this app and apply it to E.APO (up to 100hz) and see if you like the results :D that would be the most insane way of doing sort of trial
I used Spectroid app. this weekend to do a little bass EQ. I have REW but often get confused at what I should EQ out and what I shouldn't. Move your listening position a little, and the bass response changes. What's correct? What's going to sound best? Often correcting for one spot to look flat on the frequency response ends up sounding kind of weird.

Listening to music almost all day Saturday I came across a track that started with a little hand drumming that was clearly too bass heavy. I whipped out spectroid and saw that 75 Hz was peaking. Putting a notch filter in there got the hand drum under control, and made everything else sound better too. I've been hearing this as a lack of clarity in the bass, and as a sort of weakness in the lower midrange that I had nearly given up on as being a symptom of the overall dispersion and room characteristics in the mid frequency range. Nope, it was only a bass problem. This setting is staying. That's the first adjustment I've made in about 6 months, which I think is a record for me. REW is very useful but listening to music is still what matters. Being able to see what frequency is playing when a problem in the music happens is super useful. I use a Dayton iMM6 microphone on my Pixel 4a.

Haruko

I used Spectroid app. this weekend to do a little bass EQ. I have REW but often get confused at what I should EQ out and what I shouldn't. Move your listening position a little, and the bass response changes. What's correct? What's going to sound best? Often correcting for one spot to look flat on the frequency response ends up sounding kind of weird.

Listening to music almost all day Saturday I came across a track that started with a little hand drumming that was clearly too bass heavy. I whipped out spectroid and saw that 75 Hz was peaking. Putting a notch filter in there got the hand drum under control, and made everything else sound better too. I've been hearing this as a lack of clarity in the bass, and as a sort of weakness in the lower midrange that I had nearly given up on as being a symptom of the overall dispersion and room characteristics in the mid frequency range. Nope, it was only a bass problem. This setting is staying. That's the first adjustment I've made in about 6 months, which I think is a record for me. REW is very useful but listening to music is still what matters. Being able to see what frequency is playing when a problem in the music happens is super useful. I use a Dayton iMM6 microphone on my Pixel 4a.
i had problems in my room at around 120hz ... thats the area where the punch of a kick is... you take that out too much and vocals will lose body... kick will sound bloated ... you leave it as is kicks will sound ok but vocals will sound very boxy... EQ is hell

Top Bottom