• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Monitors up to 700 euros

AnalogSteph

Major Contributor
I finally returned the iLoud MTM and (on the recommendation of several forum members) ordered the Kali IN-5. However, I must say that for the first listening they seemed quite "dry" or "flat" compared to the iLoud MTM. I don't know if it was mentioned in the review, but they really aren't suitable for "normal" listening to music on a PC, because they have a very "dry" sound.
Make sure you have any room EQ disabled until you can retake any measurements, and start with all DIP switches off. Any chance that you could record the output (known music sample and/or sine sweep or pink noise), or even takje measurements with REW? This sort of reminds me of Amir's first IN-8 sample that kind of sounded like a fancy clock radio... turns out the woofer was damaged and the speaker had somehow slipped through QC like that. It's a bit unlikely that two samples would suffer from the exact same issue though. At the same time, no speaker that measures like Erin's...
CEA2034%20--%20Kali%20IN-5.png

...should make you go "you can't really listen to music on these", so not sure what's up.

I am awfully glad that I got my K+H O110s used before the pandemic, they would have been a fair bit more expensive now. When they do crop up, they're basically the same price as used Neumann KH120s.

Last edited:

Haruko

Otherwise, all I have to do is try the Focal Alpha 50 EVO (I hope they don't have a flat sound) or return to the iLoud MTM with a 110V converter. :)
I think you will be quite happy with EVO's... if not T5V is the best bang for buck for sure.. i heard those speakers and I could listen to them for hours

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
The biggest difference in frequency response is that the IN-5 has a dip starting at 5kHz which could conceivably account for the lifeless sound if his room also happens to reinforce this, while the T5V has a rise in the same reqion. Hence my suggesting them. However, this should definitely be detectable and correctable with REW and a calibrated mic.

OP
E

engineer

@Walter Yes, the feeling of "lifeless" sound can be related to a drop in frequency in a given band. Anyway, it's a shame, because otherwise they are very interesting speakers. However, in direct comparison (with my ears, in my room and using the music I have "listened to"), they do not offer a benefit over my cheap Fluid F5.

@Haruko I don't plan to try Adam T5V because I had an A5X (which, by the way, had a nice sound), but my ears didn't like "rough heights".

I'll see what I choose in the end. If I could find a review on the net that offers the frequency response of the Focal Alpha 50 EVO, including information about the tweeter noise (by the way, the Kali IN-5 is noticeably noise - I can easily hear the noise from a distance of 1 m), then I would try the Focals.
When I was making a budget, I had no idea how difficult it would be to choose the speakers that would fit me. And I'm only looking for an open, clean, fun sound :)

Btw.: I know that the speakers can't be compared to headphones, but the Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones offer a sound that fits me 100%. :)

Haruko

i didn't try A5X but i can't say T5V sound harsh... if anything there is stuff missing in the high end compared to genelec tweeters...

dfuller

Major Contributor
know that the speakers can't be compared to headphones, but the Audio Technica ATH-M50X headphones offer a sound that fits me 100%.
Okay, so you like quite a bit of low end and a bit of extra high end. Yeah, I think the Focals might just work for you. Otherwise, I think you might like some Dynaudios, the LYD 5s in particular. Not much sub, but a bit of a hump in the upper bass just like the ATH-M50s.

nahuel

I would recommend Eve Audio, and later add their subwoofer, which is really good. I have the sc307s and really enjoy listening music with them, besides working on them. With the onboard dsp they are really flexible. They don't sound harsh like the Adams in my opinion.

khark

Okay, so you like quite a bit of low end and a bit of extra high end. Yeah, I think the Focals might just work for you. Otherwise, I think you might like some Dynaudios, the LYD 5s in particular. Not much sub, but a bit of a hump in the upper bass just like the ATH-M50s.

Never heard the LYD5, but a friend has the exact same combo (LYD5/ATH-M50) for some years and is very happy with them. Sounds like a good recommendation.

OP
E

engineer

Thank you very much for the tips. Does anyone have personal experience with Dynaudio LYD-5? Although I prefer the front bass-reflex (my monitors are placed close to the wall), but I believe, taht the DSP on the LYD-5 could work quite good.
However, I admit that I am a little worried that @amirm would choose JBL LSR305P MKII or Neumann KH-80 instead of LYD-5.

maxxevv

Major Contributor
For those that say their speakers sounding "anemic" , do use a SPL meter / microphone to verify that.
Personal experience is that very low distortion speakers will sound a lot softer than they actually are. Rather, when you push these speakers volumes higher, the perceived increase in SPL are often not noticed.

And a few others on ASR can attest to that too.

Walter

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thank you very much for the tips. Does anyone have personal experience with Dynaudio LYD-5? Although I prefer the front bass-reflex (my monitors are placed close to the wall), but I believe, taht the DSP on the LYD-5 could work quite good.
However, I admit that I am a little worried that @amirm would choose JBL LSR305P MKII or Neumann KH-80 instead of LYD-5.
Yeah, that bass frequency response does not look appealing at all. Seems like it would provide very "one note" bass. It might work well in a room that provides significant gain in low bass, especially if it also has a null around 100-120Hz. But that is a pretty specific scenario. Not sure how the switches on the back would affect it.

I'd really like to see Amir or Erin review the Focal.

EDIT: I meant to note that while I would never choose speaker for it's looks, and while I'm also not a person who thinks the smaller Genelecs like the 8020D are ugly, the Focal Alpha 50 EVO is my favorite looking small powered speaker other than the KEF LSX. All else being pretty equal--and they never are--I'd prefer to like the looks of something that will be a meter away from my eyes for 10-12 hours a day. However, it is probably too wide for my desk unless I wall mount them above my computer monitors.

Last edited:
OP
E

engineer

I agree, I would love to read reviews of the Focal Alpha 50 EVO and I think it would help others as well.

Haruko

For those that say their speakers sounding "anemic" , do use a SPL meter / microphone to verify that.
Personal experience is that very low distortion speakers will sound a lot softer than they actually are. Rather, when you push these speakers volumes higher, the perceived increase in SPL are often not noticed.

And a few others on ASR can attest to that too.
Bro I compared them to Genelecs... There are things that you can't read out from one simple response graph.. maybe there are people who can but not you apparently ...

OP
E

engineer

So the story goes on. Finally, I decided to try the Focal Alpha 50 Evo. After the first minutes, I found that I liked their clear and wide sound and the hiss is also acceptable.
But ... one thing worried me at the same time. Bass.
I am aware that locating my speaker table is inappropriate. But. For years I used Fluid F5, which had no problem with bass. After correcting with the microphone, the iLoud MTM was able to remove unwanted bass rumble (reflections), and the Kali IN-5 also adjusted the low frequencies after setting the mode (DSP) on the Desk. Focal Alpha 50 Evo has the ability to adjust the LF up to -6 dB, but even after this correction, the bass rumble will not disappear.
Would you please advise me what my options are? Because I primarily chose speakers with a front bass reflex to avoid a similar problem, but it didn't work out with Focal: / I would like to keep Focal, but the bass rumble is quite unpleasant (especially for the neighbors).

P.S .: I will just add that the listening distance is 90 cm and the distance of the speakers from the wall is 20 cm.
focal.jpg

dfuller

Major Contributor
So the story goes on. Finally, I decided to try the Focal Alpha 50 Evo. After the first minutes, I found that I liked their clear and wide sound and the hiss is also acceptable.
But ... one thing worried me at the same time. Bass.
I am aware that locating my speaker table is inappropriate. But. For years I used Fluid F5, which had no problem with bass. After correcting with the microphone, the iLoud MTM was able to remove unwanted bass rumble (reflections), and the Kali IN-5 also adjusted the low frequencies after setting the mode (DSP) on the Desk. Focal Alpha 50 Evo has the ability to adjust the LF up to -6 dB, but even after this correction, the bass rumble will not disappear.
Would you please advise me what my options are? Because I primarily chose speakers with a front bass reflex to avoid a similar problem, but it didn't work out with Focal: / I would like to keep Focal, but the bass rumble is quite unpleasant (especially for the neighbors).

P.S .: I will just add that the listening distance is 90 cm and the distance of the speakers from the wall is 20 cm.View attachment 158316
Keep the Focals, use an EQ on your system. Easiest choice would be by using Sonarworks and a measurement mic.

nahuel

Adam Audio has a youtube channel with al the basics on room acoustics: positioning speakers, treating first reflections, bass traps, decoupling speakers, desk bounce. Too much for a post like this. There are many videos like that. But you will need to address al that.

Go away from corners. That is surely building up bass.

I believe that tube traps is a very effective way to deal with rooms acoustics for a small home studio desk. You'll have to DIY them, but those deal effectivelly with small room problems.

The objective is to damp reflections mostly. Maybe back wall diffusion. That's called LEDE, look for that. I mean, if you want to mix/master, that is a safe bet to start with that.

nahuel

And yes, then Sonarworks can be useful. But treat the room also. If you can get a measurement mic that will also tell you the best way to place acoustic treatment.

OP
E

engineer

Keep the Focals, use an EQ on your system. Easiest choice would be by using Sonarworks and a measurement mic.
Thanks for the advice. It could probably work, as it helped on speakers with a built-in DSP. But I also have to take into account the economy of the solution, and therefore I'm not sure if the investment of 350 € in software, microphone and phantom power supply with XLR cables is the optimal economic solution in my case. I'm also not sure if it would be possible to properly connect the calibration mic to my sound card (Asus Xonar DX) or DAC (Audinst HUD MX2), because they do not have the required balanced (XLR) output.

Haruko

Yea if you want to use sonaroworks you need to have some kind of ADC for microphone... It's not like the GLM system where the microphone has dedicated box. I for example like only one position in my room where the speakers sound the most flat. Especially for the low end it is so hard for it to sound flat without dips and huge peaks. Idk how much id4 costs but I guess its around 150 euros or more for one phantom powered channel plus the sonarworks would place it in 300 euros for sure. I could sell you mine stuff but idk if selling is allowed here

Top Bottom