• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

monitors for listening to music

giod8

Hello all and happy new year
My first post and i would like to congrats you all for all the helpful posts

I had a pair of M-audio BX5 d2 , sold them and i want to upgrade a bit my sound
I had many opinions about what to buy and my final thoughts are as follows
Get a 5 inch pair monitors and get a 8 or 10 sub to enhance the bass

1. Adam t5v with presonus temblor t10 or eris sub 8 (185euro each adam and 349euro temblor, 186 euro eris)
2. presonus eris e5 xt with presonus temblor t10 or eris sub 8 (140 eyro each e5 xt and 349euro temblor, 186 euro eris)
3. Adam T8v or T7v , no sub (249euro & 195 euro each)
4. Jbl 308 MlII, no sub (239 euro each)
5. Fluid Audio FX80 (244 euro each)

my budget is close to the above list. my listening position is about 80cm to 1m, speakers will be close to back wall and i like basically the highs and lows from a speaker. (i.e i like the kali's lp6 but thy sound a bit dull for my ears especially high frequencies, the same and for Krk's which sound like projecting the sound towards me and not making a nice sound stage like the others in the list.)
Also i want to mention that i want those speakers mainly for listening to music and maybe some dj mixing.

any opinion please??

Thank you all!!

Last edited:

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
All those speakers have different prices depending on country. A dollar amount budget would get better answers.

OP
G

giod8

Hello all and happy new year
My first post and i would like to congrats you all for all the helpful posts

I had a pair of M-audio BX5 d2 , sold them and i want to upgrade a bit my sound
I had many opinions about what to buy and my final thoughts are as follows
Get a 5 inch pair monitors and get a 8 or 10 sub to enhance the bass

1. Adam t5v with presonus temblor t10 or eris sub 8 (185euro each adam and 349euro temblor, 186 euro eris)
2. presonus eris e5 xt with presonus temblor t10 or eris sub 8 (140 eyro each e5 xt and 349euro temblor, 186 euro eris)
3. Adam T8v or T7v , no sub (249euro & 195 euro each)
4. Jbl 308 MlII, no sub (239 euro each)
5. Fluid Audio FX80 (244 euro each)

my budget is close to the above list. my listening position is about 80cm to 1m, speakers will be close to back wall and i like basically the highs and lows from a speaker. (i.e i like the kali's lp6 but thy sound a bit dull for my ears especially high frequencies, the same and for Krk's which sound like projecting the sound towards me and not making a nice sound stage like the others in the list.)
Also i want to mention that i want those speakers mainly for listening to music and maybe some dj mixing.

any opinion please??

Thank you all!!

anyone?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Budget in dollars?

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Ogremic

Genelec are not speakers to listen music to. I mean, not the 8030. They limit too early. V good for mixing, but not good for listening at loud levels, need the bigger brothers. Besides, in his budget, he can afford only one so it's moot.

Not knowing your music prefference and knoledge in setting a sub, I would go without subwoofer, KRK RP7 or RP8 would have enough power even for dance music. The 5" was tested here and got good results for the price, I expect the bigger brothers to have similar results. If extreme bass is not a requirement, I'd stay with KRK RP7 G4

OP
G

giod8

i listen mainly dance music , so my final thoughts are for
Adam T5v with presonus temblor t10
or
Jbl 305 MKII with presonus temblor t10
or simply get the Adam T8v or Jbl 308 MKII without sub

mj30250

Genelec are not speakers to listen music to. I mean, not the 8030. They limit too early. V good for mixing, but not good for listening at loud levels, need the bigger brothers.
At a maximum listening distance of 1m there should be no limiting with 8030s unless he's actually trying to make his ears bleed.
Besides, in his budget, he can afford only one so it's moot.
Agreed.

LTig

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
JBL 306p mk2 if you can stand their hissing. The 308p may not be suited for 1 m distance.

dominikz

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
i listen mainly dance music , so my final thoughts are for
Adam T5v with presonus temblor t10
or
Jbl 305 MKII with presonus temblor t10
or simply get the Adam T8v or Jbl 308 MKII without sub
Personally I'd probably go with Kali LP-6 2nd Wave (good spin and should have less hiss than V1), but both Adam T5v and JBL 305p are good budget options as well. Whichever you choose, I'd definitely try to pair with a sub - even if you go for bigger monitors. A sub allows more flexible placement than the monitors alone which can help tremendously with bass response (if done right). It is a bit of a hassle to integrate the sub and mains well, but well-worth it, IMO!

Note that studio subs are usually not the best value, but a benefit of them is they usually have built-in high-pass filters. If you can do the subwoofer crossover externally (e.g. miniDSP or similar DSP boxes), Monoprice Monolith M-10 V2 looks like a really high-performance option - it was recently on sale for approx. 460€ on monoprice.eu.

In any case I'd also recommend to invest in a measurement mic so you can do more precise subwoofer integration, and apply room EQ (<300Hz) later. Here's a short guide on how to do MMM and generate room EQ in REW.

Good luck and enjoy! :)

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Genelec are not speakers to listen music to. I mean, not the 8030. They limit too early. V good for mixing, but not good for listening at loud levels, need the bigger brothers. Besides, in his budget, he can afford only one so it's moot.

Not knowing your music prefference and knoledge in setting a sub, I would go without subwoofer, KRK RP7 or RP8 would have enough power even for dance music. The 5" was tested here and got good results for the price, I expect the bigger brothers to have similar results. If extreme bass is not a requirement, I'd stay with KRK RP7 G4
If you point out the lack of deep bass, the 8030 would definitely be no good for mixing.

I have a pair and enjoy listening to them. No complain about max SPL in nearfield.

In France, you can get a used pair for 600 €.

Ogremic

At a maximum listening distance of 1m there should be no limiting with 8030s unless he's actually trying to make his ears bleed.

Agreed.
Believe me, in dance music with a lot of bass, you can get the 5" woofer to topout really fast. That is what I didn't like about them. Had them in a mobile project and when people wanted to "feel the music", limiter spoiled the fun :)

If it were just for mixing, no doubt, the best mid price variant.

Presonus temblor is a sub that I personally don't like. It doesn't deliver a clear puchy bass

Ogremic

If you point out the lack of deep bass, the 8030 would definitely be no good for mixing.
They are actually really good for mixing, just not at loud volumes, and not if you want to hear low bass, but that usually is taken care for by a subwoofer or a pair of headphones.

What they are not good at, is listening at loud volumes, with music that is bassy.

daftcombo

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They are actually really good for mixing, just not at loud volumes, and not if you want to hear low bass, but that usually is taken care for by a subwoofer or a pair of headphones.

What they are not good at, is listening at loud volumes, with music that is bassy.
I don't understand how you can be listening louder than you mix.

bodhi

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
The 8330/8030 can be volume limited in nearfield in a way that you can kind of imagine it running out of steam from looking at the GLM meter reaching 80% with only "quite loud" volume. But for normal people it's loud enough for any practical purposes.

FrantzM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hi

Biased ( I owned the JBL 308)..
JBL 308 I see they're 240 euros each
JBL LSR 310 I know, a bit above your total budget (around 400 euros) it should play well with the 308 ...

Later you acquire a microphone, the miniDSP Umik-1, then learn to use it with REW ( a free useful and extraordinarily powerful, software). People here will help and guide.

You would be dancing happily by then ...

much Later, add another subwoofer and a miniDSP 2x4 ... Ask questions here, learn how to integrate the subs with the 308 and you could be dancing on cloud 10.

Peace.

OP
G

giod8

Personally I'd probably go with Kali LP-6 2nd Wave (good spin and should have less hiss than V1), but both Adam T5v and JBL 305p are good budget options as well. Whichever you choose, I'd definitely try to pair with a sub - even if you go for bigger monitors. A sub allows more flexible placement than the monitors alone which can help tremendously with bass response (if done right). It is a bit of a hassle to integrate the sub and mains well, but well-worth it, IMO!

Note that studio subs are usually not the best value, but a benefit of them is they usually have built-in high-pass filters. If you can do the subwoofer crossover externally (e.g. miniDSP or similar DSP boxes), Monoprice Monolith M-10 V2 looks like a really high-performance option - it was recently on sale for approx. 460€ on monoprice.eu.

In any case I'd also recommend to invest in a measurement mic so you can do more precise subwoofer integration, and apply room EQ (<300Hz) later. Here's a short guide on how to do MMM and generate room EQ in REW.

Good luck and enjoy! :)
thanks for your help

OP
G

giod8

my final choice is the Adam T5v with KRK S8.4 hope to be the right for me and enjoy it. I will try the room correction through a software..and do my best , Thank you all for the answers. i will get back to you with the results. What do you think about my choice??

Chaconne

I have a pair of the T5v speakers and find them quite good. It's difficult to think of anything they really do wrong, which is rare in my experience. I think you will be pleased. Congrats! Good choice.

Top Bottom